VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+3
Twinpilot001
RF Man
FIZGIG
7 posters

What ignition do I have? LOL

FIZGIG
    FIZGIG

Number of posts : 334
    Registration date : 2014-01-23

What ignition do I have? LOL Empty What ignition do I have? LOL

Post by FIZGIG Tue Nov 25, 2014 8:18 am

So I have this 1961 Ford Econoline PU and I have no idea what kind of ignition set up I have please help!!!

What ignition do I have? LOL 20141110" />

What ignition do I have? LOL 20141111" />

What ignition do I have? LOL 20141112" />
    FIZGIG
    FIZGIG

What ignition do I have? LOL Empty Re: What ignition do I have? LOL

Post by FIZGIG Tue Nov 25, 2014 9:31 am

Anyone have any idea this is really a serious question cause I would like to tune it up but just don't know what the hell im looking at.
    RF Man
    RF Man

Number of posts : 120
    Registration date : 2014-03-14

Post by RF Man Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:32 pm

Definitely a GM 4 pin module. Not sure about that coil---might also be GM--maybe missing the top cover. Sitting inside some homemade housing. Your dizzy could be a Dura Spark with an old style small cap and wires. Would have to see the inside of the dizzy. That being said, there wouldn't be any tuning necessary---maybe new cap and rotor, wires and plugs.
    That certainly is a different setup.
    Good Luck Mike C
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

Post by Twinpilot001 Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:03 pm

dan nachel
    dan nachel

Number of posts : 394
    Registration date : 2012-01-24

Post by dan nachel Tue Nov 25, 2014 7:17 pm

T.P., take another look.....its a 6 cylinder
    GMman
    GMman

Number of posts : 798
    Registration date : 2014-10-14

Post by GMman Tue Nov 25, 2014 8:58 pm

You Have a cobbled up GM HEI Ignition. If you want to clean things up a little then get a new ford HEI Distributor, Plugs ,and plug wires.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/FORD-Inline-6-cylinder-1964-1983-170-200-250-HEI-Distributor-straight-six-6-BLUE-/361089176732?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item541297949c&vxp=mtr
    What ignition do I have? LOL Ford_h10
    GMman
    GMman

Post by GMman Tue Nov 25, 2014 9:07 pm

You will want to keep your Ballast resistor . It's the white ceramic rectangular block with the brown and red wire coming off of it. The brown wire would need to be lengthened to reach over to the ignition terminal on the new distributor. The red wire comes from the ignition switch. With new plugs and new plug wires you would be set.
    FIZGIG
    FIZGIG

Post by FIZGIG Wed Nov 26, 2014 6:16 am

Thanks all!!! Gman that is what I was looking to do is eliminate/minimize how much stuff is in the doghouse. I just ordered a new weber 32/36 carb so maybe I should get the GM style distributor and tune up all at the same time.

Thanks again
    RF Man
    RF Man

Number of posts : 120
    Registration date : 2014-03-14

Post by RF Man Wed Nov 26, 2014 6:48 am

Those Ford HEI's are the ticket, but I think there might be fit/space issues under the early smaller doghouses.
    Mike C
    GMman
    GMman

Post by GMman Wed Nov 26, 2014 7:10 am

It might be a little tighter but by looking at the picture of the old distributor, it should fit.
    AZ SuperVan
    AZ SuperVan

Number of posts : 219
    Registration date : 2013-09-12

Post by AZ SuperVan Wed Nov 26, 2014 7:58 am

The easiest thing to do would be to install a Pertronix Ignitor II and a Pertronix Flame Thrower coil. The Ignitor will install under the existing cap and replace the points. The Flame Thrower coil runs on 12 volts so you won't need the ballast resistor.

Our vans use a 1.5 ohm resistance wire in the harness that feeds the coil. It serves exactly the same purpose as the ballast resistor. It would be a good idea to see if it is still in use.

I am running this set up on my '65.

GMman
    GMman

Post by GMman Wed Nov 26, 2014 8:05 am

You want to replace the whole distributor because the shaft and bushings are probably warn.
    AZ SuperVan
    AZ SuperVan

Number of posts : 219
    Registration date : 2013-09-12

Post by AZ SuperVan Wed Nov 26, 2014 8:24 am

Yep. If the shaft wobbles back and forth it may be too late. The good news is that the Pertronix doesn't put any side force on the shaft.

The best way to tell if the shaft is wobbling is to look at the top of the rotor. You should see a circle on the contact strip that is roughly the same diameter as the contact in the center top of the cap. If you see a larger diameter circle it shows that the shaft is moving sideways and sweeping a bigger circle.

One question that I have is about the vacuum advance on the new distributors. The early vans all used the Load-o-Matic distributor. These distributors did not have centrifugal advance and depended entirely on vacuum for advance. Also, the vacuum source was controlled by a vacuum valve in the carb. The later model distributors used both centrifugal advance and also ported vacuum (no vacuum signal at idle). Does any one know exactly how the two compare?

I believe that the later combined centrifugal and vacuum system is superior, and accounts for an improvement in gas mileage, but I can't base that on any facts. IF my guess is correct this would be another good reason to go with the new distributor, IF you can find a ported vacuum source on the carb. (Maybe the vacuum valve does this?)
    Seth G
    Seth G
    Vintage-Vans Listings Manager
    Vintage-Vans Listings Manager

Number of posts : 2086
    Registration date : 2013-04-24

Post by Seth G Wed Nov 26, 2014 1:03 pm

FIZGIG, I would keep the GM module and the coil, TFI?, and replace the distributor with a DSII distributor. It will fit right in and with that coil or a TFI coil you will have any benefit the HEI unit has. Also you should be able to reuse your old gear and lose the risk of cam gear failure. Afaik, the HEI will not fit in the doghouse without modifying it by cutting a hole and boxing in the dist where it comes through the side of the doghouse. You could also go with a new standard style high power coil if you get the right one you won't need the resistor anymore. And I believe the TFI coil also does not need the resistor.

Also, I'd take a close look at the distributor you already have and verify that it isn't a DSI. The first era of Ford electronic ignitions looked exactly like points distributors from the outside, but they are otherwise identical to DSII units in operation.
    GMman
    GMman

Post by GMman Wed Nov 26, 2014 3:59 pm

I had room for a new HEI in my 66 G-Van. Too bad there isn't enough room in the earlier E-Vans because that would possibly be the easiest and cheapest way to go.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 4:10 pm