VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

5 posters

DanTheVanMan's Coca-Cola Van ultimate road test.....

DanTheVanMan
    DanTheVanMan
    Commissioner
    Commissioner

Number of posts : 7900
    Registration date : 2008-10-08

DanTheVanMan's Coca-Cola Van ultimate road test..... Empty DanTheVanMan's Coca-Cola Van ultimate road test.....

Post by DanTheVanMan Sun Mar 29, 2009 9:19 pm

Well folks there's always a point where she's got it or she just don't. So as most of you know we have been debating on the Michigan or Florida? Well, Florida won! And I really couldn't be happier since it was my first choice. I love Michigan but 25 years of military abuse and many scars and surgeries later I'm finding the warmer weather more to my liking.... The movers came last Thursday and Friday and took everything they were able to pack and leaving quite a bit plus all the stuff I didn’t want them touching.

So, the previously discussed logistical nightmare of moving all the vehicles still existed but just 360 miles to Jacksonville now instead of the 1280 miles to Marquette, Mi. Here’s what we did…….

(1) Took the Jeep and 4x6 utility trailer with both motorcycles to Jacksonville.
    (2) Road one motorcycle back to Atlanta. (That’s 6 hrs on the bike!)

3) Loaded the motorcycle in the G10 Van Loaded all the tool boxes, spare wheels, loading ramp and spare parts in the back as well. Put the racks on top of the van and loaded both sea kayaks on top. Then, if that’s not enough I hooked up the 22’ tournament Bass Boat that has a (2200lb GVW) behind it and loaded it with about 500lbs worth of fishing gear and extra outboard motors and headed down the road at 4 am Saturday morning. And 8 1/2hrs later arrived in Jacksonville without a single issue!!! She held 55 to 65mph the whole way without straining at all, I was amazed and extremely happy (Never had to pray, not even once!) “Some of you will get that”. Anyway I figure if that was not the ultimate Stress/Road test for project van I don’t know what is. Guess all that hard work paid off.

(4) So anyway, Got on the Motorcycle (Again) this morning Sunday Mar 29th and back to Atlanta. (Did I mention, that’s 6 hrs on the bike!) And it was cold this time 55 degrees when I left. I know 55 isn’t bad right? OK, wind gusts at 20-30mph and I kept my speed at around 85mph. Anyone know the wind-chill for that? I don’t know the formula but what I do know is it’s “Frick’n Cold!”. Six hours of “Frick’n Cold!”. Oh, and rain. Yes, rain. Cold frick’n rain! I got back to Atlanta, got off the bike and fell down. My legs were so numb I couldn’t stand up. But the important thing is I made it safe and sound. At that moment, Michigan had no appeal to me at all and decided that even Georgia was to far north….

(5) Will spend the next two days painting and cleaning. On Wednesday, April 1st. I pick up the rental truck with car hauler put the motorcycle in the back with all the stuff I didn’t want them to pack. Put the Cadillac on the car hauler and be on my way!!!! “To Florida” Where it’s Frick’n Warm!!!

Have to say it was an experience and not wanting to do it over any time soon. But through it all I kept thinking how cool it was that the van, my van I had saved and still working on was able to haul and tow that much and with little effort. Always had lots of power, never overheated and pulled a 22’ boat at 2200lbs with no problem. When I first got the van running always made short trips with it. Hey, it’s 43 years old right? No doubts now after 8 ½ hrs, 360 miles under that load. That is my ultimate road test!

I’ll take her anywhere now, no worries….. Thought it was so cool I had to share it with all of you.

Dan
    DanTheVanMan
    DanTheVanMan's Coca-Cola Van ultimate road test..... 1966_c10

DanTheVanMan's Coca-Cola Van ultimate road test..... 67551710

Last edited by DanTheVanMan on Tue Jul 12, 2011 4:59 pm; edited 1 time in total

2004 Kawasaki KLR650
    1997 Jeep TJ Sport

My Mini Gallery

DanTheVanMan's Coca-Cola Van ultimate road test..... Qr_cod10

<-<-<- Cruising is not a "Point A to Point B" thing, but an "Everything in between thing!  <-<-<-
    Nightmoves
    Nightmoves

Number of posts : 2214
    Registration date : 2008-11-17

DanTheVanMan's Coca-Cola Van ultimate road test..... Empty Re: DanTheVanMan's Coca-Cola Van ultimate road test.....

Post by Nightmoves Mon Mar 30, 2009 5:30 am

Well Dan,glad to know you made your move without an incident.Thats a lot of trekking back and forth to Atl..Sure you miss 'home',but hope J'ville works out well for ya.
    Put the lil coca-cola to the test,didn't ya? To say the least,it was loaded.I'm sure its been tested before,but not to that extent,Haaa
    Now comes the fun part of unpacking.Just givin you a heads up...you might get some strange looks if you go puttin up a blue and yellow 'M' or State flag in the middle of 'Gator Country'. Sure that'd impress the neighbors.Haaaaa
    DanTheVanMan
    DanTheVanMan
    Commissioner
    Commissioner

DanTheVanMan's Coca-Cola Van ultimate road test..... Empty Re: DanTheVanMan's Coca-Cola Van ultimate road test.....

Post by DanTheVanMan Mon Mar 30, 2009 7:36 am

Thanks Moe,
    I ain't scared of no gators. Yeah, sure they think there tough but I have found if you tenderize them real good and throw in some spice. They taste just like chicken!

Who knows, I might use this as a color scheme for the van.
    DanTheVanMan's Coca-Cola Van ultimate road test..... 92003m10

But just so my new neighbors will have no doubt, I have a few of these for the front yard.... Sure I'll make freinds fast!!!
    DanTheVanMan's Coca-Cola Van ultimate road test..... Michig10

2004 Kawasaki KLR650
    1997 Jeep TJ Sport

My Mini Gallery

<-<-<- Cruising is not a "Point A to Point B" thing, but an "Everything in between thing!  <-<-<-
    sasktrini
    sasktrini

Number of posts : 2067
    Registration date : 2008-05-20

Post by sasktrini Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:53 am

man, what a cool story! I'd be nervous to try to make my earlies work like that!
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Number of posts : 30743
    Registration date : 2008-05-06

Post by G-Man Mon Mar 30, 2009 12:47 pm

Dan shouldn't those colors be Green & White

Post by Guest Mon Mar 30, 2009 1:57 pm

Right on Dan!!!! Someday I hope that my van will be able to take a trip like that.
    RipVanArkie
    RipVanArkie

Number of posts : 987
    Registration date : 2008-05-13

Post by RipVanArkie Mon Mar 30, 2009 5:01 pm

If the banners each came with one of those blondes you'll make fast friends for sure!

Good job!
    Rip
    DanTheVanMan
    DanTheVanMan
    Commissioner
    Commissioner

Post by DanTheVanMan Mon Mar 30, 2009 7:41 pm

G-Man wrote:Dan shouldn't those colors be Green & White

Only if your a "Spartan" Chris........

2004 Kawasaki KLR650
    1997 Jeep TJ Sport

My Mini Gallery

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:42 am