VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+7
Gothboy
vanny
wildbillinva
vanner68
Vanish
G-Man
rustybug13
11 posters

The Ultimate Van

rustybug13
    rustybug13

Number of posts : 209
    Registration date : 2012-07-28

The Ultimate Van Empty The Ultimate Van

Post by rustybug13 Tue May 21, 2013 7:22 pm

If you guys could design a van from the various other vans out there what parts would you use? Here's my picks:
    I like the roll down side windows from the Corviar, the bigger engine house from the Chevy Vans but would have to come apart like the Econoline housing. Maybe forget the engine up front and have it in the back like a Volkswagen or Corvair. Then you'd be able to have a bench seat up front and have your girl sit right next to ya. You'd also get better traction. I also like the sliding ragtop on the deluxe VW buses. Any thoughts? What kinda body elements should this van have?
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Number of posts : 30743
    Registration date : 2008-05-06

The Ultimate Van Empty Re: The Ultimate Van

Post by G-Man Tue May 21, 2013 7:38 pm

Sounds like a cool van, Corvairs have alot of cool stuff and alot of room up front. You right econo's and A100's have a better doghouse design for sure. I have seen someone put a A100 doghouse in a Chevy
    Vanish
    Vanish
    Admin

Number of posts : 5155
    Registration date : 2008-05-02

Post by Vanish Tue May 21, 2013 7:51 pm

I Like all of Your Ideas So Far !!!!! Here's What Our Ford were Up against when they were New .. remember ... Don't ever remove that counter balance Weight that on top of Your Gas Tank ... it's there for a reason ...

vanner68
    vanner68

Number of posts : 655
    Registration date : 2008-09-22

Post by vanner68 Tue May 21, 2013 8:52 pm

Vanish wrote:I Like all of Your Ideas So Far !!!!! Here's What Our Ford were Up against when they were New .. remember ... Don't ever remove that counter balance Weight that on top of Your Gas Tank ... it's there for a reason ...

The Ultimate Van Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRs9fmB6DjAGgdvhmJz7sSoz-Bq3SkHRutyW-dOy-Xj2C45ts6VBA
    wildbillinva

Number of posts : 134
    Registration date : 2011-02-26

Post by wildbillinva Wed May 22, 2013 1:53 am

rustybug13 wrote:If you guys could design a van from the various other vans out there what parts would you use? Here's my picks:
    I like the roll down side windows from the Corviar, the bigger engine house from the Chevy Vans but would have to come apart like the Econoline housing. Maybe forget the engine up front and have it in the back like a Volkswagen or Corvair. Then you'd be able to have a bench seat up front and have your girl sit right next to ya. You'd also get better traction. I also like the sliding ragtop on the deluxe VW buses. Any thoughts? What kinda body elements should this van have?
    she can sit on the dog house, mine did back in the '70's before seatbelts were cool:) yeah we did a lot of dumb $hit back then:)
    wildbillinva
    vanny
    vanny

Number of posts : 14775
    Registration date : 2012-09-22

Post by vanny Wed May 22, 2013 3:22 am

After watching that video my conclusion is that Ford's were a lot more exciting to drive!!! Razz I've often thought that the 2nd Gen Chevy's headlights were too low. I thought what would it look like if you put 1st Gen Chevy headlights up in the original position on the 2nd Gen and then replace the headlights down low with fog lights instead? Also, the taillights size on the 2nd Gen I like better but I like the rounded 1st Gen taillights so why couldn't someone make a rounded bezel to surround the 2nd Gen taillight? My wife would say I've got too much spare time!LOL

http://public.fotki.com/Vintage-Vans/vintage-vans-es/ruff-diamond-1/?cmd=fs_slideshow
    Gothboy
    Gothboy

Number of posts : 714
    Registration date : 2012-07-02

Post by Gothboy Wed May 22, 2013 5:22 am

as much room as the Avan, the funny little window behind the front doors from the Evan, Drivetrain from the Gvan, Headlight bezels from the Evan, Glass like the Avan, "Body grooves" from the Corvan, "little hoody thing" from the corvan, Rearend from the Evan... Im sure theres more... I just cant recall all of it.
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

Post by Twinpilot001 Wed May 22, 2013 5:48 am

haha= fords more fun to drive?? Just remove that 300lb. weight over the fuel tank!! Woopieeeeeee!! affraid remember its all styling to get sales too. Wonder why neither Gm & dodge designers didnt need a weight like fords did?? My design tells me id have an early gm front end,1967 up dual master cyl with later disc brakes, front & rear heat & A/c! Heated seats throughout,Better lighting as we do now, power steering & power brakes also. Also still have the Display type vans & full window vans too. All V=8 powered & od trannys!! Full GPS & eloctronic dashes also!! cheers
    vanny
    vanny

Post by vanny Wed May 22, 2013 11:57 am

I keep hoping that one of these big 3 manufacturers will produce a retro van like they've recently done with the muscle cars like mustang, charger and camaro but it would have all the features of the newer vehicles like you said, Twin. I keep thinking how much I'd love to put the 6-cylinder, 305 hp,30mpg mustang engine in an old econoline!

http://public.fotki.com/Vintage-Vans/vintage-vans-es/ruff-diamond-1/?cmd=fs_slideshow
    Jay 13
    Jay 13

Number of posts : 155
    Registration date : 2011-02-01

Post by Jay 13 Wed May 22, 2013 3:47 pm

that's funny because if I will the lotto I was going to put a new 6 cylinder camaro motor in my van.great minds think alike
    vanny
    vanny

Post by vanny Wed May 22, 2013 4:27 pm

Obsessed minds do think alike! Twisted Evil

dan nachel
    dan nachel

Number of posts : 394
    Registration date : 2012-01-24

Post by dan nachel Wed May 22, 2013 5:19 pm

great thoughts run together, but so do the sewers. With all that new stuff on your wish list, why are you drivin g an early?
    vanny
    vanny

Post by vanny Wed May 22, 2013 6:03 pm

Cause the thread is asking what parts would you use from different vans to create an Ultimate Van. I'm thinking if money wasn't an issue, it would be cool to also be able to have some more safety features and gas mileage from some of the newer vehicles. Ultimately, I'd like to get an early again before I kick the bucket. Half the fun of owning one was being able to tinker around and cruise around in them. Nothing like driving today's vehicles...but that's what I love about them!

rustybug13
    rustybug13

Number of posts : 209
    Registration date : 2012-07-28

Post by rustybug13 Wed Jul 03, 2013 2:47 pm

Your right Vanny, I did say the different vans. But what I was thinking was the first and second gen. vans. After giving it some more thought, I would also add in the battery box from the Chevys. I like it being more out of the way. In the real world, I was thinking that it would be cool to take advantage of the gaps between the body and the frame and add some smugglers storage boxes in there. Kinda like Han Solo with the Millennium Flacon. Cool
    vanner68
    vanner68

Number of posts : 655
    Registration date : 2008-09-22

Post by vanner68 Wed Jul 03, 2013 4:10 pm

I have the Perfect, Ultimate Van.

It must be, I've kept it for 34 years!
    vanny
    vanny

Post by vanny Wed Jul 03, 2013 4:39 pm

Rusty, that's a cool idea with all that unused space under there!
    Vanner68, any van that stays with one owner for that long deserves the title of Ultimate Van!
    I still kick myself for letting mine go. Last I heard it was somewhere in Florida painted green but that was about 20 years ago so who knows what it looks like now? Or if it's still on the road???

Next one I get, they'll have to pry it from my cold dead fingers, bwah-ha-haaaaaaa!!!Twisted Evil 

RipVanArkie
    RipVanArkie

Number of posts : 987
    Registration date : 2008-05-13

Post by RipVanArkie Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:42 pm

1ST gen Chevy 108 pickup, 4x4, independent front and rear suspension, Jeep 4.0 engine, trans and transfer case! Rock Solid!

2013 MidSouth Econoline Meet
    Host of the MidSouth Econoline Meet, Petit Jean State Park, AR
    1967 Econoline Pickup
    1966 Econoline Supervan
    1967 Econoline 8-door regular van
    1965 ChevyVan, Cargo, 250/3speed

1964 Econoline 8-door Window Van, 4spd
    1966 Falcon SuperVan, Automatic

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 11:53 am