VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

3 posters

Stock Carter Vs. Holley Carb. question

tower9
    tower9

Number of posts : 48
    Registration date : 2014-01-03

Stock Carter Vs. Holley Carb. question Empty Stock Carter Vs. Holley Carb. question

Post by tower9 Thu Nov 06, 2014 8:52 pm

I have a 67 A108 with a 318 eng. and a stock intake manifold with a stock 2bbl Carter Carb. I have thinking about replacing the carburetor and was wondering if the Holley 2280 Carb. would be a direct bolt on replacement for that engine? Basically I'm trying to figure out 2 things. 1. Is the Holley a better carb then the Carter for stock situations? 2. If so, is the Holley a bolt on replacement or is there modifications that would have to be made to make the switch? Anyones thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
    gary h
    gary h

Number of posts : 474
    Registration date : 2012-10-19

Stock Carter Vs. Holley Carb. question Empty Re: Stock Carter Vs. Holley Carb. question

Post by gary h Thu Nov 06, 2014 9:20 pm

I would go with the Carter 2BBl. If you have to get one ,I would get an Autoline reman.carb. Rockauto sells them. Much better quality than a Cardone.
    slowflapper
    slowflapper

Number of posts : 956
    Registration date : 2010-07-29

Stock Carter Vs. Holley Carb. question Empty Re: Stock Carter Vs. Holley Carb. question

Post by slowflapper Mon Nov 10, 2014 8:30 am

If I was you I'd just put a rebuild kit into the carb you have and try it again. I have a carter 2bbl on my '65 and got a re-manufactured/new direct replacement that ran like crap. I put a $12 rebuild kit into my original and it runs like a champ.

Turns out someone had rebuilt it in the past and left one of the check balls out of it when they put it back together so rebuilding it was all it needed.

I've run the 2280's as well, not bad carbs but a rebuild kit is really cheapest and easiest.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 17, 2024 3:04 am