VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

2 posters

Carter Carb Swap

sandyvan
    sandyvan

Number of posts : 526
    Registration date : 2011-03-13

Carter Carb Swap Empty Carter Carb Swap

Post by sandyvan Sun Aug 25, 2013 12:39 pm

Out with the old:

Carter Carb Swap Carbswitch1_zpsaab37a4f

In with the new!

Carter Carb Swap Carter3_zpsc51eb3e5

Carter Carb Swap Carter2_zpsf267202e

Carter Carb Swap Carter1_zps3359d2a7

The Holley model #1940 was mysteriously placed on my van's engine before I purchased it.  The van started running crummy a while back and I figured it just needed a tune up.  Instead of messing with the points and condenser I decided to do an HEI upgrade.  That helped a lot.  So did finding out my gas cap was not vented!  :-O  Still, when I would let out the clutch in first or second gear it would sputter and want to die unless I gave it a lot of pedal.  I figured it was likely a problem with the old carb. So rather than mess with the wrong carb for the engine, I decided to put in an NOS Carter I picked up off eBay shortly after purchasing the van.  The sellers put in a kit to replace all the old seals and make it ethanol mix ready.

I figured for sure there would be some gotcha on the swap but it went real smooth.  I put everything back together and with no primer at all, the motor turned over about a half dozen times putting fuel in the line and it fired right up!  It immediately just purred and runs smoother than ever before.  Stoked!!

It needs a little fine tuning like setting the idle (it's too fast), replacing one of the barely usable manifold bolts, and bending some hard lines for fuel and vacuum to make it look nicer.  And I am missing the parts that bolt on to the carb and the hold the choke cable.  But so far, no need for choke...

I do have one question.  In the pic below there is a hole next to the mounting holes, but I don't know what it's for.  There is no matching hole in the manifold, maybe I am missing a riser/spacer that has a port?  

Carter Carb Swap Carbswitch2_zps5cdb8461
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12218
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Carter Carb Swap Empty Re: Carter Carb Swap

Post by donivan65 Sun Aug 25, 2013 6:33 pm

The 4 slots in the base gasket let vacuum sneak into that hole,,,,,its the vacuum source to the accelerator pump on a YF,,,,,,,,

Carter Carb Swap Repair14
    sandyvan
    sandyvan

Post by sandyvan Mon Aug 26, 2013 12:17 am

Aha.... I have the wrong gasket, it just had the two mounting holes.

But I could cut those slots... or buy a new one now that I know what it looks like.
    sandyvan
    sandyvan

Post by sandyvan Mon Aug 26, 2013 12:45 am

Dang, not finding a part source for that gasket. I did find that it's either a Carter 1A-31 or 1A-41, found this link and hi resolution picture via Stovebolt:

http://www.thecarburetorshop.com/Carter_Chevrolet_YF_flange.jpg

Don, if you are using a Carter YF do you have a picture of the choke cable attachment assembly? Probably a salvage yard part....
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:50 am

Just cut a slot to get to that hole in the carb,,,,,,the choke cable is mounted to a piece of metal on that corner screw,,,,,nothing fancy,,,,you could just make something out of a bracket and a hose clamp to hold the cable on it,,,,,,

Carter Carb Swap Repair17

Last edited by donivan65 on Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:57 am; edited 1 time in total
    sandyvan
    sandyvan

Post by sandyvan Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:53 am

Home Depot L bracket - Genius!

donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:58 am

I put up a better choice
    sandyvan
    sandyvan

Post by sandyvan Mon Aug 26, 2013 1:46 pm

Looks good, I'll have to round the edges, stamp in a bowtie, and have it chromed.

Wonder what the odds are of finding the real part... I want to win a trophy some day.....
    sandyvan
    sandyvan

Post by sandyvan Sat Sep 14, 2013 2:07 pm

Rather than try to bend a Home Depot corner brace I made something closer to the stock part with a piece of aluminum angle, it works well.  I salvaged the cable clamp from the old carb.  I haven't found a proper wire stop to attach to the choke lever, but bending it works good for now.

Carter Carb Swap Newcarb1_zps13510f9f

Carter Carb Swap Newcarb2_zpsb436b297

Carter Carb Swap Newcarb3_zpsc811db21
    sandyvan
    sandyvan

Post by sandyvan Sat Sep 14, 2013 2:17 pm

After a few test runs the gas pedal was sticky and would often leave me revving way too high, but a coupe of taps would have it back to normal idle, very annoying to drive around with.  I figured the return spring was worn out so I took the hook out of the stock hole in the frame, stretched it up to the grille opening for a test.  But that was too tight because when I pushed on the linkage the brittle old wire snapped right at the hook.  I bent a new hook where it broke and put it back in the stock hole, but now I am worried it will break while driving.  The sticky pedal is fixed though, drops right back to normal idle.  Does this amount of pre-stretch look OK, or too much?

Is there a part number for this spring or just go look for anything similar in the parts store?

Probably not a bad idea to replace the brake pedal return too if there is a part number for that.

Carter Carb Swap Newcarb4_zpsde566776
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Sat Sep 14, 2013 3:49 pm

That Choke cable needs 90 degree bends as it doglegs through the choke lever,,,,,your choke bracket  will work better if you bend it to 45 degrees and not that 90 degree angle iron you  put on,,,,,,I would check and lube the bushings in the gas pedal to see if they are causing the pedal to not return,,,you just got to guess when buying springs,,,,,,,I use a small spring on the lever that comes up to the carb and hook it on the doghouse lip,,,,,, it will keep the carb from jumping wide open if something goes wrong with the linkage
    sandyvan
    sandyvan

Post by sandyvan Sat Sep 14, 2013 5:49 pm

The old carb had a safety spring like you are talking about, I actually put it on my new Carter in the first picture, I wasn't sure if it was necessary so I took it off.  I should have thought of that when my pedal started getting sticky.

So you are saying the stock mounting in your picture is not 90 degrees?  That's the part I was trying to duplicate.  The choke is functioning fine right now though so not too worried about that.

Carter Carb Swap Repair17redcircle_zps8a261736
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Sun Sep 15, 2013 11:42 am

,,,,,just try and keep the choke cable as straight as possible to keep it from bending and jamming up,,,,,looks like you had to put a loop in it to get it match up,,,,,,,,,if it dont push that lever all the way back, the carb will be on fast idle,,,,,but as long as it works,,,,,,

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:00 am