VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

3 posters

V8 radiator options?

V8 radiator options? Empty V8 radiator options?

Post by Guest Mon Mar 16, 2009 6:21 pm

Although i'm along way away from putting a V8 in my van, i'm starting to think of radiator options. One idea I had was to mount the radiator directly behind the grill. I'm not sure if it would work but it would be well exposed to air flow. You guys know alot more than I do so what do you think? Thanks,

-Ryan
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Number of posts : 30743
    Registration date : 2008-05-06

V8 radiator options? Empty Re: V8 radiator options?

Post by G-Man Mon Mar 16, 2009 6:51 pm

I don't know about mounting a radiator there??? Not saying it won't work just never heard of anyone doing that. It may put the radiator too low??? I'm right now looking for a radiator and think I may have found what I'm looking for at Summit.
    mo_1040
    mo_1040

Number of posts : 645
    Registration date : 2008-07-04

Post by mo_1040 Mon Mar 16, 2009 7:13 pm

I just got mine put in about 20 minutes ago... What year is your van? If you have a first gen are you using a second gen doghouse or the first gen doghouse???
    I'll post some pictures of how I put mine in and what I used one my 67 chevy van tomorrow...

Post by Guest Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:01 pm

I have a first gen but I will be putting a second gen doghouse in it when I swap in a V8. I thought maybe you could mount the radiators seprate coolant tank in the doghouse and then run tubes to the radiator???? I dont know, just came into my mind. Like I said, i'm along way away from a V8. G-Man, let me know how that radiator from summit works out (If you get it) and Mo, I look foward to those pictures. Thanks,
    -Ryan
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Post by G-Man Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:09 pm

SIX-FO, will let everyone know for sure after I get one. This is a question that comes up alot
    mo_1040
    mo_1040

Post by mo_1040 Tue Mar 17, 2009 3:31 pm

Hard to take good pictures but here is what I went with... The biggest radiator I could fit in there(19"x28") universal rad from JEGS along with a swivel thermostat housing with rad cap. The cap needs to be the highest point of the cooling system to remove any air. The cap on the radiator itself is a high psi cap that will never open because the cap on the thermostat housing is lower psi cap. I wanted to go with a surge tank just because I like the way it looks but do not need one because of this thermostat housing... so I am having a friend make me a overflow(or reservoir tank) that looks like a surge tank that will mount above the radiator. As far as the fan... I ditched the manual fan on the motor and will put in an electric fan off of a Lincoln markVIII. The shroud on this fan covers all but 3/4" of the core on one side and is supposed to be one of the highest cfm fans out there. I made brackets and welded them to the frame to support the rad. I still need to make the top supports.
    V8 radiator options? Radtop10

V8 radiator options? Radcap10
    V8 radiator options? Radfro10
    I am also upgrading the alternator to a 180amp because that electric fan draws alot of juice along with the sound system I plan on adding.
    mo_1040
    mo_1040

Post by mo_1040 Tue Mar 17, 2009 3:42 pm

I'll have to say...converting to a v8 isn't all that difficult but there is more involved than you think as you get into it... Fabbing brackets or removing old brackets. Throttle cable, shifter cables, wiring, cross members... Just installed my ramhorn exhaust manifold and found out that I'll have to change my oil dipstick... tranny dipstick wouldn't go in either so I ordered a flexible one... almost seems never ending at times but for me it'll be worth it in the end.
    Good luck with your conversion...

Post by Guest Tue Mar 17, 2009 4:01 pm

Awesome pictures Mo. I hope that if I ever get around to swapping in a V8 it turns out half as nice as yours. Thanks for the pics,

-Ryan
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Tue Mar 17, 2009 5:05 pm

The 2nd Gens had the option of a 4 row core radiator which needed the surge tank mounted above it. And the radiator did not have a cap on it, just a hose connection from the surge tank above it. And the radiator sits real low, crossways, into the bump outs that go under the seats. So you need a 2nd Gen doghouse. And the floor is also raised up in a tunnel to let air actually flow in from the grille.

V8 radiator options? 4_row110

V8 radiator options? 4_row111
    mo_1040
    mo_1040

Post by mo_1040 Tue Mar 17, 2009 6:43 pm

I would of went with stock with what Donivan is showing here if I was able to find these parts and if you find them on eBay they want and arm and a leg. I almost had a shop just make me a factory type radiator and a surge tank but he wanted $500 to do it so that is why I went with plan "B". Up here in northern Minnesota... donor vans are long gone.
    It sounds like you got a while before the v8 goes in so I would start looking now if you want to go with stock pieces. They do show up now and then.
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Post by G-Man Tue Mar 17, 2009 7:01 pm

mo-1040, question for you??? Are you going to plug the overflow tube on the radiator since you have a overflow on the themostat housing?? And how are you going to plug it if you are???
    mo_1040
    mo_1040

Post by mo_1040 Wed Mar 18, 2009 3:50 am

I am going to plug it... It's a threaded fitting so I could just remove it and put in a plug or I could just put on a small piece of hose and clamp a bolt in the hose if I get lazy.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 07, 2024 8:01 am