VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

3 posters

carb options for 200 ?

austinmodhouse
    austinmodhouse

Number of posts : 575
    Registration date : 2010-07-30

carb options for 200 ? Empty carb options for 200 ?

Post by austinmodhouse Fri Dec 17, 2010 12:42 pm

so I get the van back from the pro-wrench tomorrow, brakes and bearings/seals all fixed up. price wasn't too bad either.

they replaced the fuel filter w/ a big one to increase my chances of getting home w/o a clog issue. BUT they said it is still running a bit rough.. said it would likely not run optimally till I rebuilt or replaced the carb. they said rebuild would be $225.

now my snag is that I don't expect I will be happy w/ the 200 for long. was hoping to upgrade to a 240, 300 or 302 v8 next year. I've been watching craigslist (mostly dallas area) for complete engines and see them regularly for 350-500 complete with warranty. that makes it hard to spend $225 on a carb rebuild. I checked summit and they list a holley carb for $172 that should be compatible.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/HLY-64-1084/

anybody have any other suggestions?

also, I am about to restore the spare tank that came w/ the van. it ran pretty good at first so I suspect junk from the tank that is in there is what is causing the carb to run rough now. I suppose it is wishfull thinking that a good running will eventually flush that gunk from the old tank out of the carb? what I need is a magical gnome riding a unicorn to come sprinkle magic carb dust, or is that the same as that red (atf) marvel mystery stuff
    Casimier
    Casimier

Number of posts : 864
    Registration date : 2010-07-26

carb options for 200 ? Empty Re: carb options for 200 ?

Post by Casimier Fri Dec 17, 2010 1:54 pm

Austin
    Have you dropped the tank and had it flushed and cleaned by your local radiator guy? I'm about to do mine....let me know whathappens.
    austinmodhouse
    austinmodhouse

Number of posts : 575
    Registration date : 2010-07-30

Post by austinmodhouse Fri Dec 17, 2010 2:44 pm

my van came with an extra tank in good condition, that should have been my first sign that I should not try t go far on the tank in it... I bought the por-15 tank restore kit. plan to use that on the good tank over the holiday break. will probably get a new sending unit too.
    EconoCarl
    EconoCarl

Number of posts : 1109
    Registration date : 2008-05-19

Post by EconoCarl Fri Dec 17, 2010 2:48 pm

As for the fuel tank, replace it with a new 20 gallon Mustang tank. You'll be very glad you did!
    No more changing out the fuel filter mid-trip and get lots more miles per tank to boot! santa

Thanks to Fred Carello for figuring this out.
    Here's the how to: http://mysite.verizon.net/samada/id3.html

Last edited by crowen57 on Fri Dec 17, 2010 2:49 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : damn grammer!)

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 12, 2024 5:52 pm