VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

EASY glass removal !

Oscarm
    Oscarm

Number of posts : 91
    Registration date : 2014-05-06

EASY glass removal ! Empty EASY glass removal !

Post by Oscarm Sun Jun 01, 2014 6:14 pm

Had to remove the rear window and quarter windows in my E100 pickup, but the rubbers ($$) were like new, and I wanted to save them.  Came up with a really simple and fast solution that would likely work for any rubber gasketed tempered glass that has not been glued into place....
    Gently pry up the interior rubber lip of the gasket. Stuff a wooden clothespin under the pried up lip, then move along 2", pry and stick in another. After GENTLY lifting and sticking a couple of dozen of the clothespins, start back at the first one, and jam it in a bit further...then progress on to the others. After pushing the pins in a couple of times, you'll see the undamaged rubber and glass easing out of the opening. Looks goofey as hell, but works great.
    Took me less than 15 minutes to ease out each quarter window, and I didn't even drop one.
    It's even clean enough that you can sneak the clothespins back into your wife's laundry room without her even knowing that you were mucking with them! No lubricant of any sort is needed, so no messy cleanup.
    I have some good pix if your interested (PM me with your email address).  Can't figure out how to post the pix here...seems everyone has  a different method that baffles me.
    Bummer: If the gasket has been sealed or glued into place, yer screwed, and have to cut it out and pay the bucks for a new one...(windshields are likely to be sealed in.)

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:05 am