VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

Door locks.

Door locks. Empty Door locks.

Post by Guest Thu Mar 05, 2009 1:55 pm

My eight door is awesome but unlocking a door is a pain because of the little flip covers so I was thinking power locking doors. Any thoughts does this seem smart ? There not very expensive but the instalation of something like this on a 66 8door van seems a little daunting.has anyone done this maybe help with a few pointers or advice. Thanks again.
    Blahked
    sasktrini
    sasktrini

Number of posts : 2067
    Registration date : 2008-05-20

Door locks. Empty Re: Door locks.

Post by sasktrini Thu Mar 05, 2009 3:37 pm

It could probably be done, but the doors are so narrow... I think the keyholes are very distinctive... I plan to keep mine... even bought spares! All the locks actuate like any modern door, so I think it's a good idea. (You didn't say you were going to remove them, just add remote lock... right?)

Don't shave handles or anything though... the side and rear doors close with too many linkages... That would be tricky for sure!

Post by Guest Thu Mar 05, 2009 3:40 pm

I had them on Vanishing Breed and it seemed like one was always getting stuck. It might be the drivers door one time then the rear doors the next but I always had a problem with them.

Post by Guest Thu Mar 05, 2009 6:05 pm

No shavin handles or anything crazy. I just need a way to make sure all doors are locked, especially in my neighborhood. My van seats just were stolen yesterday.

Post by Guest Thu Mar 05, 2009 6:43 pm

I was in the 12 volt biz for 23 years, its pretty easy to do. I think Vanish's problem was adjustment issues. The lock motors are pretty strong and the throw may be longer than the stock button. If you install them with a "Z" bend in the linkage, you shouldnt have a "locking up" issue. There are a couple of setups fort them, there are 2 wire and 5 wire accuators. The 5 wire units are a central locking system and are installed on the front driver/passanger doors and would control the rest of the doors.

I can go on and on.......if you want any more info, shoot me a PM.
    sasktrini
    sasktrini

Number of posts : 2067
    Registration date : 2008-05-20

Post by sasktrini Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:03 pm

Stole your seats? Bloody hell, WTF for? Use it as a Rottweiler doghouse until you fix the locks... geez! Evil or Very Mad

MK, Vanish and VanishingBreed are two different folk... are you planning to do your van up with electric locks? I know the lock linkage moves more freely on a newer van, and suspect these beasts might need a pretty heavy-duty set up to work smoothly... don't be shy... you could turn this into a how-to topic that we'd all love!

Post by Guest Fri Mar 06, 2009 8:37 am

I have been taking pictures I just havta figure out how to post them. The locks move smooth. I think I can post it as a how to . My St. Bernard is the best watch dog ever she just loves to watch!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 08, 2024 7:22 pm