VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

3 posters

Turn signal housing on column

Van crazy

Number of posts : 533
    Registration date : 2011-08-04

Turn signal housing on column Empty Turn signal housing on column

Post by Van crazy Sun Mar 30, 2014 11:28 am

I had play in steering wheel. Turn switch lower housing not attached to column. Is this lower part to be welded now? Upper part seems to turn and lock Turn signal housing on column Steeri11Turn signal housing on column Steeri12Turn signal housing on column Steeri14                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                  I was thinking this would have to go on after you pass the harness threw it. I hope you have a fix for me thanks. Does that even have any thing to do with it or is it more in the upper were it attaches to column. bearing were there. They all work as one right !!!!!!
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Turn signal housing on column Empty Re: Turn signal housing on column

Post by donivan65 Sun Mar 30, 2014 12:08 pm

Those 3 tabs are welded,,,,,,,

Turn signal housing on column Repai110
    Van crazy

Post by Van crazy Sun Mar 30, 2014 12:27 pm

Thank you Donivan I was hopeing you were going to pull threw. I now what Im doing later. I have to get the switch that they actualy had at the warehouse doesnt happen to often over this way. Thanks again!!
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Sun Mar 30, 2014 6:47 pm

That covers job seems to be just to make the column look pretty and irritate someone who is trying to replace the turn signal switch, since to get those 2 big connectors through the small hole you have to unlock each wire from the connectors, put them through the hole then hope you get all the wires back into the right hole,,,,,i guess you could pop rivet or screw some little L brackets to hold that flange up......
    Vantasia
    Vantasia

Number of posts : 1412
    Registration date : 2013-08-18

Post by Vantasia Sun Mar 30, 2014 7:52 pm

donivan65 wrote:That covers job seems to be just to make the column look pretty and irritate someone who is trying to replace the turn signal switch, since to get those 2 big connectors through the small hole you have to unlock each wire from the connectors, put them through the hole then hope you get all the wires back into the right hole,,,,,i guess you could pop rivet or screw some little L brackets to hold that flange up......
    Exactly what the shop manual says to do, pull the wires from the plugs and put them back later, just write order down on paper first! The new switch has the bearing. I just did mine and the aftermarket switch I got had a slightly smaller seat for the turn signal lever, I had to file the sides of the lever a bit to make it sit flat in the seat, see how yours is, they are probably all different. Don't force it with the screw or it will break the plastic.
    Van crazy

Post by Van crazy Mon Mar 31, 2014 2:15 pm

I fixed it. I also have the new switch. Im getting a wheel out of corvair van I think it will work what do you think?Turn signal housing on column New_wh10Turn signal housing on column New_wh11                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   I welded lower bell type housing and added a small tab to catch 1 of the screws for the turn switch which will lock the upper section. I welded the lower part high enough to make the switch housing twist on tight but wanted extra so as the switch housing wont move. In return holding it all together betterTurn signal housing on column Steeri17Turn signal housing on column Steeri18
    Turn signal housing on column Steeri19
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Mon Mar 31, 2014 4:14 pm

,,,that cancelling cam on the Corvair is different than the Chevy one,,,,,but since the switches are the same, it should work,,,,,
    Van crazy

Post by Van crazy Mon Mar 31, 2014 4:23 pm

Cool I was thinking I could take that off. I hope so I bought it already.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Mon Mar 31, 2014 4:44 pm

you better hope it works,,,,,,,the REAL van ones are made of plastic and cost a million dollars if you could ever find one,,,,,,you still got the old one on the original steering wheel?
    Van crazy

Post by Van crazy Mon Mar 31, 2014 4:49 pm

I have a steering wheel but I dont think its stock. you dont have any laying around from crash van or any of the others I take it. so this dont even look like the real deal
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Mon Mar 31, 2014 5:25 pm

I might of put a pick up one on Surfers Scotts,,,,,they don't cost much.....,,,,,,,,

Turn signal housing on column Repai111
    Van crazy

Post by Van crazy Mon Mar 31, 2014 5:28 pm

I have that spring but not the plastic part what is that. the canceling cam what does it do turn the blinkers off after you turn. I just found this on Brothers truck sight it looks right ,right .Thanks for the heads up on that not having all the parts to start with makes like tring to put the puzzle together blind. Thank you so much for your help.Only 10 bucksTurn signal housing on column Cancel10

Last edited by Van crazy on Mon Mar 31, 2014 5:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Mon Mar 31, 2014 5:41 pm

yep,,,,,,,when you move the turn signal lever , it moves an arm close to that spring, which sits inside  the cam  and then the  cam knocks the arm back to shut the turn signals off as you turn the steering wheel back straight....so test it before you tighten down the steering wheel,,,,,,move the signal lever,,,see if they shut off as you turn the steering wheel left and right,,,,,,
    Van crazy

Post by Van crazy Mon Mar 31, 2014 5:49 pm

I have the pitmin arm disconected and axle out should I be careful as to how much i turn the wheel is it possible to lose sink or something like that turning the wheel is there a center point
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Mon Mar 31, 2014 6:03 pm

When you get ready to put the steering wheel back on, you see how many turns it takes to go from left to right, then turn the wheel to the 1/2 way spot,,,,probably 2 1/2 turns, but it dont matter for the test,,,,,throw the steering wheel on so it looks straight,,,,put the left turn on,,,,turn the wheel about a turn left,,,,turn it back straight,,,,see if the turn signal arm goes back to off,,,,,,do the same thing for the right,,,,,that cam don't look right,,,,,truckandcarshop.com might have them for $6,,,,,,but it don't matter,,,,,is a pick up or van cancelling cam going to even fit that Corvair steering wheel,,,,,
    Van crazy

Post by Van crazy Mon Mar 31, 2014 6:09 pm

good point I will find out soon I guess I will let you know how I make out in the end. I will check that sight. Thanks if its any thing like that fuel tank I took a gamble on we will be all good.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Mon Mar 31, 2014 6:11 pm

Do that test SLOWLY,,,,,that Corvair steering wheel could destroy your turn signal switch,,,,,,
    Van crazy

Post by Van crazy Tue Apr 01, 2014 3:01 am

Stop!!! Now you have to scare me. I will thanks for the heads up. I might dry fit it so to say with out the wheel on it.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:28 am

Put the steering wheel on there without the spring,,,just push it down, dont put the nut on it,,,,turn the wheel slowly,,,,,,that Covair has a metal canceling cam,,,,,,metal fingers sticking up,,,,,,just in case that the Corvair wheel goes deeper into the column,,,,,,those metal fingers could break off the plastic fingers on the switch,,,,,so just do it slowly,,,,,peek in there,,,,,,see if the metal fingers and plastic fingers are playing nice and not jamming up,,,,,,its just something to check since you are using a different steering wheel,,,,,those metal fingers are just supposed to BUMP the plastic fingers back to OFF when you turn the wheel......
    Van crazy

Post by Van crazy Mon Apr 07, 2014 2:09 pm

So I got an update the corvair steering wheel works and I got the turnsignal cancel cam from Brothers part #TSC6066 62-66 pick up. I have to tighten everthing down yet I hope that wont change any thing. So I just went out and looked at again I might have a couple more issues if the sping is suposed to go over the cam it dont and it looks to be a gap between the wheel and housing. Do you think I need to modify the cam to spring or a different spring or do I have this all wrong. Turn signal housing on column Cancel12Turn signal housing on column Steeri20[uTurn signal housing on column Cancel13rl=https://servimg.com/view/18289467/134]Turn signal housing on column Cancel11[/url]
    Van crazy

Post by Van crazy Mon Apr 07, 2014 2:13 pm

Ok I got it I just looked back in the post at Donivans and the center is gone for the spring it looks like there is going to be some modification going on.
    Van crazy

Post by Van crazy Mon Apr 07, 2014 2:29 pm

Donivan I found one of your pics in my search what is the clip after the spring or just a special washer or something.Turn signal housing on column Steeri21
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Mon Apr 07, 2014 3:46 pm

it is a special cone washer that keeps the steering shaft exactly in the center of the bearing so the steering wheel don't wobble.....keeps everything tight and centered......
    Van crazy

Post by Van crazy Mon Apr 07, 2014 6:00 pm

Great probably super rare to right. how thick is this washer. 3/4 ID 1 OD  1/4 thick sound good to you with 30 degree bezel sound good to you? I will have my buddy make one for me . I got the cancel cam to fit right took a 1" hole saw by hand cut out the center.Turn signal housing on column Cancel14

Last edited by Van crazy on Mon Apr 07, 2014 6:05 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added picture)
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Mon Apr 07, 2014 11:41 pm

It is the same diameter as a quarter,,,,,,thick as 2 quarters,,,,,I think if you used a metal key ring, kind of like you would use  a rubber O ring in there,,,,,,it would support the spring and hold the steering shaft centered in the bearing,,,,,,,

Turn signal housing on column Cone10

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 09, 2024 8:46 pm