VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

3 posters

Were to buy front turn assembly

Van crazy

Number of posts : 533
    Registration date : 2011-08-04

Were to buy front turn assembly Empty Were to buy front turn assembly

Post by Van crazy Sun Mar 16, 2014 6:00 am

Looking for front turn assembly for my van. I  saw some on brothers site for 55-57 parking light is it the same?http://www.brotherstrucks.com/prodinfo.asp?number=PLA5700
    wideload
    wideload
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 1388
    Registration date : 2008-05-11

Were to buy front turn assembly Empty Re: Were to buy front turn assembly

Post by wideload Sun Mar 16, 2014 7:37 am

I just installed a set of the Brothers on my 65. I think $20  ea. for complete assembly. Really cheap construction compared to the originals. Bulb sockets and connections are really poor quality.

When I first got them I was inspecting and removed one of the bulbs. After initial install kept blowing fuze every time I turned on the lights(I've done the conversion that makes the park lights burn with the headlights). Went back in and checked all connections couldn't find any problems. Finally removed the bulb that I had pulled out previously and couldn't see anything wrong but after reinstall of the bulb everything worked fine. Only conclusion I could come up with was that the poor socket design allowed the two wires to contact each other when twisting the bulb into the socket.

Haven't had anymore problems but don't know if repo's from another vender are any better.

Yes that's the correct part #.

Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

Post by Twinpilot001 Sun Mar 16, 2014 7:42 am

are you aware u can buy new sockets & solder them into the housings?? cheers affraid 
    wideload
    wideload
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 1388
    Registration date : 2008-05-11

Post by wideload Sun Mar 16, 2014 7:57 am

Sockets weren't the problem on the originals. Was only replacing assembly for cosmetic purposes. At the time(while blowing fuses) didn't think to check for continuity between the two wires on a new assembly. In hind site there's no fiber plate inside the socket on the new assembly's to keep the wires separated, only springs to keep them pushed against the bulb.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:30 am