VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+2
savage
BILLS66
6 posters

Need advise on turn signal assembly replacement

BILLS66
    BILLS66

Number of posts : 1383
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Need advise on turn signal assembly replacement Empty Need advise on turn signal assembly replacement

Post by BILLS66 Sat Jan 09, 2010 7:37 am

I went to replace my turn signal cam in my 66 and decided to just replace the whole turn signal assembly after 44 years can you believe everything is brittle and crusty? Is the replacement one from a 63- 66 chev pu? And does anyone have any tips on this job to make easier,any help would be appreciated. Bill
    savage
    savage

Number of posts : 2626
    Registration date : 2008-05-15

Need advise on turn signal assembly replacement Empty Re: Need advise on turn signal assembly replacement

Post by savage Sat Jan 09, 2010 8:12 am

One thing I remember is you have to take the plug off (take wires out) to get old one out ,& put new one in . I think Wideload used a pickup one???
    Hey Mike,you staying warm down there???
    wideload
    wideload
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 1388
    Registration date : 2008-05-11

Need advise on turn signal assembly replacement Empty Re: Need advise on turn signal assembly replacement

Post by wideload Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:22 pm

Trying to stay warm Tom. Still been in the single digits here at night but so far no ice this year, just a little snow.

Bill the one I put in my 65 came from Classic Industries. I'm pretty sure that this is the one I used.

http://www.classicindustries.com/controller.cfm?type=product&action=productDetail&productId=35516&productSearchCatalogId=4

Never got the horn to work through the column but I can't remember if it had anything to do with this switch(its been a couple of years now). The switch plugged right in but like Savage said you have to take the wires out of the plastic plug in order to get it through the column cover. Still works but sometimes it doesn't cancel like it should. Haven't taken time to see why yet.

I think you'll need one of these too. I think I had to modify this a little but like I said it's been a couple of years.

http://www.classicindustries.com/controller.cfm?type=product&action=productDetail&productId=28747&productSearchCatalogId=5

BILLS66
    BILLS66

Post by BILLS66 Sat Jan 09, 2010 3:07 pm

Thanks guys I will be picking up the parts on tuesday. Bill
    mo_1040
    mo_1040

Number of posts : 645
    Registration date : 2008-07-04

Post by mo_1040 Mon Jan 11, 2010 4:56 pm

donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:01 pm

Still old,,,,,still brittle,,,,,,,,
    BILLS66
    BILLS66

Post by BILLS66 Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:41 pm

Hell today I felt old and brittle! I think I will stay with new parts. Bill
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Mon Jan 11, 2010 7:08 pm

Seems to me that if I owned a Chevy Van and needed a Turn Signal switch,,,,,I would not pay up to $140 for it,,,,,,I would just go over to the Corvair Guys,,,,,they are a lot more sensible about it,,,,,

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CORVAIR-CORVETTE-New-1965-66-Turn-Signal-Switch_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem5d2773f55eQQitemZ400093869406QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories
    panelmanrd
    panelmanrd

Number of posts : 801
    Registration date : 2009-10-04

Post by panelmanrd Tue Jan 12, 2010 7:54 pm

the turnsignal switch is the same as the 64/66 chevy trucks, available at lmc trucks, classic parts and brothers truck parts,they all
    also carry the cancel cam that attaches to the steeirng wheel.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 13, 2024 5:52 pm