VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

4 posters

Tie rod adjusting sleeve

67a 100 pickup
    67a 100 pickup

Number of posts : 1319
    Registration date : 2009-01-29

Tie rod adjusting sleeve Empty Tie rod adjusting sleeve

Post by 67a 100 pickup Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:14 pm

Ok.....call me crazy, but I know I read about our sleeves being hard to get etc. but I can't find the thread. I went to advance today and they said they might be able to get me one for 300+ OUCH!!! only paid 500. for the whole darn van.... Has anyone checked to see if hotrod linkage for a ratrod or t-bucket would work on our stuff?? Just asking before I spend hours going cross eyed on the internet tonight.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Tie rod adjusting sleeve Empty Re: Tie rod adjusting sleeve

Post by donivan65 Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:39 pm

You just might weld a nut to the sleeve and add a nut to the tie rod to
    lock it in place,,,,,
    itruns
    itruns

Number of posts : 1605
    Registration date : 2008-07-03

Post by itruns Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:51 pm

This is very strange. Maybe a Mopar dude can shed some light on this.

I'll throw some crap at the wall and see if it sticks.

The As use a ES140R tie rod end.

Splicer #4251004 sleeve and the ES140R tie rod end both fit a Jeep CJ5.

Will it work? Doubtful because they don't show it under the A100s in the online parts catalogs.
    67a 100 pickup
    67a 100 pickup

Post by 67a 100 pickup Thu Feb 19, 2009 4:29 pm

here's my problem, I just got this van and have no idea how someone could bend this unless they tried to jack the van up by it.

Tie rod adjusting sleeve Dsc_0026
    itruns
    itruns

Post by itruns Thu Feb 19, 2009 4:50 pm

Duh...

OK, I forgot the link is the sleeve. Sorry Embarassed

Heat it and bend it back?
    67a 100 pickup
    67a 100 pickup

Post by 67a 100 pickup Thu Feb 19, 2009 5:20 pm

gotta be a better way than the "GAS" wrench, steering is to important to screw with and lose the whole van to the scrap pile. Even if the answer is custom machine shop work
    Digz
    Digz

Number of posts : 3794
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Post by Digz Thu Feb 19, 2009 5:39 pm

There is a trick to getting the "stiff " back , An Old friend who had a frame shop showed me how to reset the metal , heat is the ticket but you have to gently take a hammer to it and play blacksmith on the stretch of metal you are altering. Heat it and using a ball peen hammer just work it around , it restructures the metal and will give it a set, I have used this on frames and other items that need to be stiffer than what regular old round stock will do. You are right about just heating and bending it back being bad it tears the metal apart, but with a lil patience I would have no fear of reusing it if no other good options were available.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Thu Feb 19, 2009 6:00 pm

That sleeve aint very tough, bends easy, turn it 180 degees and jack it back straight,,,,,or take it off, put it in a pipe bender. And if you are paranoid,,,,,slip a larger pipe over it and weld it at the ends,,,,, I see people also weld a long piece of like 1" angle iron across it to ,,,,,,,do I don't know what,,,,,,
    67a 100 pickup
    67a 100 pickup

Post by 67a 100 pickup Thu Feb 19, 2009 6:14 pm

Might have found an answer at one of our 4-wheel drive brothers, they use our r/s tie rod end on some of their jeeps and an ES-62L end on the left. Just making a guess if one end works for us the other will. They also custom make the sleeves. Can't call them until 9am tomorrow. Let you guys know how it turns out. Good idea on the pipe bender, got one of those in the garage holding the spiders up. The other good one.... PUNK at the parts counters price is padded... get it online at their web site for 184. in 5 days. Went there researching the ES62L, both of these tierods are for Jeeps so these numbers should stay good for quite a while. Don't pay that crazy price a rockauto for tie rod ends!!!!
    itruns
    itruns

Post by itruns Thu Feb 19, 2009 6:48 pm

67a, if that ES62L fits our As I'm gonna... scratch Well I'm gonna do something.

Anyways, I was also thinking you can also get a pair of those Jeep sleeves and get a new solid rod machined with threads on each end.
    67a 100 pickup
    67a 100 pickup

Post by 67a 100 pickup Thu Feb 19, 2009 6:56 pm

itruns... The 4 wheel place I'm calling in the a.m. will make it to look and work just like ours. If your tie rods aren't falling out leave them in until I do mine so I can tell you if it works or not. It's only 25. bucks but the chance of making your worse without knowing for sure is not worth the chance. Either way, I'm going to "play" with my old one and try to get it straight, a man can never have to many spares even if all it gets used for is an emergency fix for someone that is out cruising in the area.
    itruns
    itruns

Post by itruns Thu Feb 19, 2009 7:37 pm

My front end stuff is OK for now. I've been trying to do with the old driver's side tie rod end for the last year though. The existing one is OK, but what to do when I need to replace it?

Just found out this week from the Yahoo Group that the driver's side tie rod end (part #25443) is available from Autozone under the Rare Parts brand for just under $100.00. This part has been out of production for at least ten years. Unfortunately, a member has informed us that he got a the Rare Parts LLC drag link that appears to be a very inferior product. Is the above Rare Parts tie rod end OK? I don't know.

As for the ES288R and ES288L, the tapered studs are shorter than the ES140R. You can probably get them to work, but I would rather go with the original tie rod ends.

My little brain fart this evening was to use two of the ES140R(s), the Jeep sleeves and a new solid tie rod with left hand threads on both ends.
    67a 100 pickup
    67a 100 pickup

Post by 67a 100 pickup Thu Feb 19, 2009 7:58 pm

Have you found a jeep sleeve that is 47 3/8" long??? I didn't look any further when I ran across the 4 wheel drive idea and the longest one I had seen was maybe 39" One good thing about having 2 of these, is you can always look at the other one to figure out what is not the same. Wait till you see the pics of the wiring in this thing when I get the freeze plugs in tomorrow. The + terminal on the battery has at least 8 extra wires going to it and run along the seat to the dash. That reminds me.... who has a color wiring schemematic for a 68' tradesman???? I'm sure it is going to be a little different form my 67 pickup

Post by Guest Fri Feb 20, 2009 3:15 am

I bought a Rare Parts drag link from Autozone for a 69 A-108 that I had. It fit great and worked great.

New tie rod sleeves are available from Autozone under the Rare Parts brand, but the p/n escapes me at the moment.

ES140L and ES140R or ES288L and ES288R tie rods should be the ones that fit the A's.

Duane...Brian Bowie should have some spare tie-rod sleeves. There are quite a few guys on the Yahoo group that are in Michigan that could help out as well I'm sure.
    67a 100 pickup
    67a 100 pickup

Post by 67a 100 pickup Fri Feb 20, 2009 8:07 am

I wish I could get in the yahoo group, tried it a couple of times and terry always sends me an email about a "location" but I can't find what he is talking about and have filled in every blank that the registration form gives me. Even tried it as a complete new account on yahoo itself thinking that they change something along the way from when I got my account back in the 90's. But thanks for reminding me... I'll send terry an email today about my tierod.
    67a 100 pickup
    67a 100 pickup

Post by 67a 100 pickup Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:18 pm

Here's the deal.... 110. bucks with the tie rods included, raw metal paint the way you like from Rusty's 1-256-442-0607. You can get it painted or powder coated for a couple more bucks. I just wanted the plain and didn't ask about the cost difference. Ordered today and he'll send it out monday to me.

Post by Guest Fri Feb 20, 2009 4:36 pm

Sweet!

Anyway the Rare Parts number 26787 from Autozone

Tie rod adjusting sleeve Rare26787

Post by Guest Fri Feb 20, 2009 4:37 pm

Drag Link, Rare parts 25757

Tie rod adjusting sleeve Rare25757
    67a 100 pickup
    67a 100 pickup

Post by 67a 100 pickup Fri Feb 20, 2009 5:06 pm

auto zone wants 184. for the 26787 and 5 days to ship it in. Rusty sounded pretty happy to have another "family of vehicles" as an outlet for custom parts. If this works we'll have to add it to your vast list of parts. Especially since it's 110. with the tie rods included. Rusty's 1-256-442-0607

Post by Guest Sat Feb 21, 2009 2:25 pm

Can't beat that with a stick!
    67a 100 pickup
    67a 100 pickup

Post by 67a 100 pickup Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:12 pm

Got the new one today, looks great...instead of clamps for locking down the adjustment they use "jam"nuts. I'll post a pic of it tomorrow.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:00 am