VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

5 posters

Temp cable wont pull out

Buzzard
    Buzzard

Number of posts : 90
    Registration date : 2012-07-01

Temp cable wont pull out Empty Temp cable wont pull out

Post by Buzzard Sun Oct 27, 2013 3:53 pm

Tried to shoot liquid rust down cable to get it unstuck but that hasnt worked to well, question how do you remove the knob and cable from the dash ?? Or any other ideas how to get it unstuck
    sasktrini
    sasktrini

Number of posts : 2067
    Registration date : 2008-05-20

Temp cable wont pull out Empty Re: Temp cable wont pull out

Post by sasktrini Sun Oct 27, 2013 3:58 pm

It could be that the valve is seized, not just the cable. You might be able to see it in the doghouse... just follow along the heater hose until you find it, and give it a good bath too.
    Buzzard
    Buzzard

Number of posts : 90
    Registration date : 2012-07-01

Post by Buzzard Sun Oct 27, 2013 5:00 pm

First thing i thought was valve was stuck so i removed cable and tried to move the valve with my hand, wouldnt move. Then tried to pull on temp cable and that wouldnt move eather. Replaced the heater valve but now i got to try to free up the rusted cable so i dont have to keep getting underneath van when i need to get heat out of the heater
    Ken Grau
    Ken Grau

Number of posts : 7
    Registration date : 2013-09-29

Temp cable wont pull out Empty Remove and submerse in penetrating oil !

Post by Ken Grau Sat Nov 02, 2013 6:22 am

I have ran into that before. IF you cannot free it by spraying the penetrating oil into both ends and working it free, you will have to totally remove it and submerse it into the penetrating oil for a good soak.
    That usually works, but will sometimes be a temporary fix (depending on where you live, when you drive it, weather conditions) as they will likely freeze up again with that much junk, rust, and damage inside.

NOT to highjack the thread here, but ....................
    I found my temp cable works perfectly and that is because there is NO VALVE at all on the van right now !?!?
    I bought the valve and am going to install now that weather is turning colder.
    Can anyone tell me which heater hose line it goes in and in what direction?!

The valve I bought is "reversible" using the bracket provided, but it appears that the line and direction would be important.
    Please advise if anyone can help on that one Smile
    Thanks, Ken
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Sat Nov 02, 2013 10:52 am

I would put the valve in the hose that goes TO the heater core to keep the pressure out of the heater core,,,,,,,and put the valve in so that when you pull the cable, it opens the valve......
    Murdock
    Murdock

Number of posts : 313
    Registration date : 2010-12-29

Post by Murdock Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:51 pm

I agree with donivan and it is the way it shows it in the shop manual.  Direction will reveal itself as the way the control cable want to connect to it.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 07, 2024 2:38 pm