VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

4 posters

Steering Wheel Help

Steering Wheel Help Empty Steering Wheel Help

Post by Guest Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:04 pm

Working on the horn and wanted to take the steering wheel off and maybe change it out. I really like this stock one, but its falling apart. Here is where I am at. My book has no info on the steering wheel assembly.

Also after I changed the links out, I noticed the wheel is turned to the left slightly just like in the pic. Everything seems aligned, the van drives straight and is not pulling. I am not sure if the wheel was turned slightly when I got in a couple months ago, but I just noticed it now. I figured if I take the steering wheel off and replace, maybe it would fix it.
    ALso if anyone sees an old stock wheel like this I am in the market.
    millwright71
    millwright71

Number of posts : 531
    Registration date : 2012-05-28

Steering Wheel Help Empty Re: Steering Wheel Help

Post by millwright71 Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:22 pm

You need a steering wheel puller at this point. It has bolts that thread into the two holes on each side of the shaft, then a larger bolt pushes the wheel off against the shaft in the center. As original wheels go, that one is in decent shape. Mine was missing a large chunk out of the center. I bought a wheel restoration kit from Eastwood and used some elbow grease on it.

Tom
    RodStRace
    RodStRace

Number of posts : 3046
    Registration date : 2010-01-21

Post by RodStRace Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:54 pm

Remove the large nut in the center.
    Get a puller, the one pictured is a 2 bolt, the common one you can find and also use on the harmonic balancer is peace symbol shaped.
    Steering Wheel Help Puller_steering_wheel
    Install the 2 bolts in the kit fully, then tighten the center bolt to force the wheel off.

Early stuff like our vans can be installed in any position on the splines, later ones have a master spline that allows only a single position install.
    If there was an adjustable end on the drag link from the steering box to the axle, this could be used to center the steering wheel. There isn't, so you move the arm on the box or move the wheel.

If you want it straight, remove the wheel, then install it loosely and just put on the center nut on finger tight. Drive it in a secluded area and note where the wheel is when driving straight. remove the nut and position the wheel on the splines so it's straight, then tighten the nut and install the horn.

Post by Guest Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:43 pm

RodStRace wrote:Remove the large nut in the center.
    Get a puller, the one pictured is a 2 bolt, the common one you can find and also use on the harmonic balancer is peace symbol shaped.
    Steering Wheel Help Puller_steering_wheel
    Install the 2 bolts in the kit fully, then tighten the center bolt to force the wheel off.

Early stuff like our vans can be installed in any position on the splines, later ones have a master spline that allows only a single position install.
    If there was an adjustable end on the drag link from the steering box to the axle, this could be used to center the steering wheel. There isn't, so you move the arm on the box or move the wheel.

If you want it straight, remove the wheel, then install it loosely and just put on the center nut on finger tight. Drive it in a secluded area and note where the wheel is when driving straight. remove the nut and position the wheel on the splines so it's straight, then tighten the nut and install the horn.  

Many thanks Rod! Knew you would know. That tool looks easy to make.

donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:16 am

I would leave the nut flush on the end of the shaft until you pull the steering wheel up to it to keep you from damaging the threads on the end of it with the puller......

Post by Guest Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:50 pm

Made my own puller tool. Took it off, straightened it out, fixed the horn and reassembled.

Gothboy
    Gothboy

Number of posts : 714
    Registration date : 2012-07-02

Post by Gothboy Thu Sep 19, 2013 4:34 am

You might wanna... Uhm... Yeah... What everybody else said!!! Smile Guess Im WAY too slow!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 07, 2024 12:54 am