VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

2 posters

Door handles or substitute??

rigatoni
    rigatoni

Number of posts : 33
    Registration date : 2011-03-09

Door handles or substitute?? Empty Door handles or substitute??

Post by rigatoni Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:42 am

Yo guys!  I am in need of a serious overhaul when it comes to the door handles on my 68 on the side and rear doors, and just curious if anyone has a good spot to buy? I don't think anyone repops them?
    But my main interest on this post is to see if anyone has used any other style of handles or latch systems, and if so which ones?  It seems like its a simple enough system, that something else would work? Maybe from a newer vehicle, something that is easy to replace parts? Please help! Thanks!
    RodStRace
    RodStRace

Number of posts : 3046
    Registration date : 2010-01-21

Door handles or substitute?? Empty Re: Door handles or substitute??

Post by RodStRace Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:24 am

I'd guess that other handles would work, provided you can find something you like and that has the same size square shaft. They were more common in the 1920s to 1940s.
    As for the latches, they are simple, but well designed. They retract so nothing is sticking out to catch on the doors and the openings. The are Over-centered to stay shut and spring-loaded to stay open.
    You can look at more modern truck and vans to see different latch systems, but most have a pin or loop that sticks out. It would be a lot of design, fabrication and body work to retrofit them.

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:37 am