VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

2 posters

How are these side/rear door locks suppose to work?

How are these side/rear door locks suppose to work? Empty How are these side/rear door locks suppose to work?

Post by Guest Fri May 17, 2013 3:19 pm

When I got my 69 the door latches all worked but I never had keys for the doors until today. The cylinders both turn in the door (I can see the little arm moving from the I side of the door) but what is it suppose to latch or connect with to keep the handle from turning to open the door? I can "lock" and "unlock" the doors but they are always open. Is it possible to have the top and bottom "dead bolts" reversed?
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

How are these side/rear door locks suppose to work? Empty Re: How are these side/rear door locks suppose to work?

Post by donivan65 Fri May 17, 2013 4:02 pm

The lever on the key cylinder pushes that C shaped bracket up and down,,,that is what stops the handle from turning,,,,push it up and down,,,if the handle won't lock, latch is worn out......

How are these side/rear door locks suppose to work? Repair46
    vanny
    vanny

Number of posts : 14775
    Registration date : 2012-09-22

How are these side/rear door locks suppose to work? Empty Re: How are these side/rear door locks suppose to work?

Post by vanny Fri May 17, 2013 4:12 pm

Doni, you are the man! Seems like you have quite the library of photos to explain almost everything. I can see it now, the "Donivan65 Chevy Van Library"(Complete with photos, videos and live commentary)!

http://public.fotki.com/Vintage-Vans/vintage-vans-es/ruff-diamond-1/?cmd=fs_slideshow

Post by Guest Fri May 17, 2013 5:53 pm

My bottom rod is on the opposite side of that c-piece. When it opens and closes it rubs that bracket and hits the lock cylinder. I assume its in wrong then
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Fri May 17, 2013 7:24 pm

Those rods are different sizes,,,,a top and a bottom,,,,they wont work right if you snap them on the wrong ball joint,,,,unless someone modified the rod,,,,and the wedge faces out, and sucks the door in as it closes,,,,,those rods can't be hitting anything,,,,,but my picture might not have the rods going the right way, they are just hanging there,,,, but this picture is real,,,,

How are these side/rear door locks suppose to work? Repair47

Post by Guest Sun May 19, 2013 7:45 am

Thanks for the help guys! Got it working

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 08, 2024 4:58 pm