VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

4 posters

Radiator!!

Radiator!! Empty Radiator!!

Post by Guest Tue Jan 27, 2009 5:30 pm

I have a 1969 Gmc Handi-Van / 250 6cyl

Im having a hard time finding a radiator that fits (as in directly bolt in) my van.
    I ordered one from the parts store and they gave me something HUGE
    All the ones on the internet that I can find mesure way to big
    Mine is around 21x18ish core size

This doesnt seem like it would fit?!?!
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1968-1969-1970-GMC-VAN-G-ALL-ALUMINUM-RADIATOR-NIB-NEW_W0QQitemZ250361890453QQcmdZViewItemQQimsxZ20090123?IMSfp=TL0901231110006r6935

Anyone know a part number, what to ask for, what works, photo's?

Im pulling it out tonight and Jb welding it tonight, this is my daily driver!

Thanks!
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Radiator!! Empty Re: Radiator!!

Post by donivan65 Tue Jan 27, 2009 6:32 pm

The Vans came with 2 types of radiators,,,,,,,a 6 cylinder is a tall downflow type and a 8 cylinder is a wide crossflow type,,,,,,both fit but you need the right core support for each type. And the crossflow one has no radiator cap,,,,,it uses a surge tank mounted above it and it sits real low in the doghouse,,,,,right in those bump outs under the seats,,,,,,,,AND,,,,,,if you get the 4 row of tubes,,,,,,you will be really cool,,,,,,

Radiator!! Tanda_10
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Tue Jan 27, 2009 7:17 pm

So where is the radiator leaking????? if its from the core,,,,,rip off some of the fins around the tube, cut it and bend the 2 ends closed,,,,or just take a propane torch, flux and solder and seal up any holes.. Do you have a radiator shop around that can recore your radiator????

Post by Guest Tue Jan 27, 2009 7:22 pm

yeah, theres a radiator a block over from my shop, they can re core it.
    It would be nice if they could re pair it somehow.. its a fairly small leak..
    Its too bad, theres not even a fin dented on my rad.

Im in the middle of pulling it out how.. I am under the impression it comes out through the bottom?? Iv only owned this van for 3 weeks!! No manual and not enough information on the internet, you guys rock!!
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Number of posts : 30743
    Registration date : 2008-05-06

Post by G-Man Tue Jan 27, 2009 7:26 pm

Save yourself some some cash in the long run and get the whole thing recored. Remember it 40yrs old it has more than done it job.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Tue Jan 27, 2009 7:35 pm

So where is the leak???? in the fins,,,,,in the tanks,,,,,in the hose connections,,,,,in the seams,,,,,,You might have to jack up the van if you got a sway bar on it,,,,,,but it comes out the bottom,,,,,how clean do the tubes look inside the radiator????
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Tue Jan 27, 2009 7:38 pm

and G-Man is right,,,,,,,#1 rule,,,,,,ALWAYS have a good radiator,,,,,,,you are heading for a world of trouble if you don't.

Post by Guest Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:18 pm

Just got it out!

The leak is in the fins, I was going to jb weld it, now im thinking I should just hold off and do it right. its only money anyways.

Post by Guest Wed Jan 28, 2009 3:58 am

I will third or fourth the notion. Get it recored..the shop may even have a heavy duty core available. The shop that does my A-100 radiators recores them with 2-row cores that have the capacity of a 4-row. Every little bit helps.

Post by Guest Wed Jan 28, 2009 4:42 am

hey well were on the topic..a couple more questions to ponder........ive seen some aluminum radiators..that claim to have more cooling capacity than regular ones...any thoughts??....i had seen a picture posted i think yesterday and it was an a-100 with an aluminum rad...and a v-8......also is there a big difference between the crossflow and the downflow rads??....
    Vanish
    Vanish
    Admin

Number of posts : 5155
    Registration date : 2008-05-02

Post by Vanish Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:27 am

Aluminum radiators are nice and are expensive and do out cool copper and brass Radiators Hands Down !!!! There's only one big Problem with them !!!! when they Leak !!! there DONE !!!! You have to go buy a new one again !!!! Down flow radiators are nice because they not only have the water pump pushing the Fluid but once the fluid gets to the top of the radiator Gravity takes over !!!!!! on a cross flow the water pump has to do all the work ..... They put down flow Radiators in most all cars in the Beginning But as cars started to get more streamline the had to put the same amount of Radiator or even a bigger radiator in a smaller space .... so they just Leaned them Over !!! But I think either style works Fine !!!!!!!! and one more thing you have to worry about with aluminum Radiators is electrolysis !!!! that will eat the Radiator up from the inside out !!!!!

Post by Guest Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:48 pm

Hey, thanks guys!

I just finished putting my rad back in! got it fixed for 100 bucks, it was mint when I took it out, shop says they missed a weld when they made it!

Anyways, anyone wanna let me know where the trans filler is ( 3 speed auto)
    Lost all the oil pulling in and out of the shop lastnight!!!

Is there a good manual for this thing?!
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Number of posts : 30743
    Registration date : 2008-05-06

Post by G-Man Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:54 pm

Is your fill tube missing???? The fill tube should be to the rear of the doghouseWith my 307 w/ 350 turbo trans it's on Pass. side kind of in the back corner
    RipVanArkie
    RipVanArkie

Number of posts : 987
    Registration date : 2008-05-13

Post by RipVanArkie Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:26 pm

Fill tube is also where the dipstick goes in...

Later,
    Rip

Post by Guest Thu Jan 29, 2009 4:07 am

Another note..ALWAYS MIX YOUR COOLANT WITH DISTILLED WATER!!!!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat May 11, 2024 12:11 pm