VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

4 posters

Voltage regulator

millwright71
    millwright71

Number of posts : 531
    Registration date : 2012-05-28

Voltage regulator Empty Voltage regulator

Post by millwright71 Mon Apr 15, 2013 2:20 pm

I installed an electronic voltage regulator some time ago, only to find out it is not perfoming correctly. If I hook the wires on the new pigtail color for color, Blue to blue and green to green I get no charge at all. If I reverse these colors blue to green and green to blue, I get an overcharging situation. In this set up I get almost 15 volts at the battery. I have checked the wiring with my meter and it all checks out according to the schematic I found with a search on this site. Any ideas will be greatly appreciated.

Tom
    dodge man
    dodge man

Number of posts : 2036
    Registration date : 2012-08-08

Voltage regulator Empty Re: Voltage regulator

Post by dodge man Mon Apr 15, 2013 2:41 pm

can you try your old regulator to see if you have a bad one
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:10 pm

The regulator must match the alternator,,,,,,,a mechanical regulator regulates the positive side of the alternator brushes while an electronic one regulates the negative brush,,,,,,so the old alternator has a grounded brush while a newer one has insulated field terminals and you need positive to one brush from the ignition while the negative brush wire comes from the regulator,,,,,,now this is just in case you have gotten yourself into this situation,,,,
    jkr
    jkr

Number of posts : 1148
    Registration date : 2008-05-29

Post by jkr Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:53 pm

did you also change to a two brush alternator ?? electronic regulators and dual brush alternators go together like peanut butter and jelly. and just because it's electronic does not mean it can fail as well.replace the easy part first, the regulator. they are cheap so don't cheap out with a used one.
    millwright71
    millwright71

Number of posts : 531
    Registration date : 2012-05-28

Post by millwright71 Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:45 pm

Thanks for all the information guys! I had a two field alternator on it, along with the regulator to go with it. I tested all the wires for continuity according to the schematic. There had to be something wrong along the line somewhere. I just went ahead and got the automotive wire and the fusible link needed and rewired the whole system. It works like a charm now.

Tom
    dodge man
    dodge man

Number of posts : 2036
    Registration date : 2012-08-08

Post by dodge man Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:24 pm

glad you goter goin Tom

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:06 am