VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+5
savage
wideload
donivan65
Digz
xjamesx
9 posters

three speed tranny

three speed tranny Empty three speed tranny

Post by Guest Sun Jan 25, 2009 7:50 pm

Hey I was wondering if anyone could direct me towards some information about the standard transmission for the g vans.....is it a good one??....can it withstand v-8 power??.....also are these standard trannys unique to the forward control g-vans??...any and all info greatly appreciated......
    xjamesx
    xjamesx

Number of posts : 378
    Registration date : 2008-05-14

three speed tranny Empty Re: three speed tranny

Post by xjamesx Sun Jan 25, 2009 8:13 pm

if you lived here, i'd point you towards my garage where my extra tranny is collecting dust...
    Digz
    Digz

Number of posts : 3794
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Post by Digz Sun Jan 25, 2009 8:34 pm

The 3 speeds aren't built super tuff, If the tires never lock up it might take hole shots for awhile, I had a Nova that stripped out the input gear after I tweaked the horsepower some on a 350. But that was just an exscuse to stick the 4 speed in then. Easy driving I would think it would be okay, but you run into things like metal fatigue and Id be thinking of upgrading to something tuffer or newer if there is some kind of interchange on the main case that would accept the tail shaft and keep the standard mount.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Sun Jan 25, 2009 10:53 pm

The rear mount is built into the tail section of the trans, so they only fit vans,,,,,and the 64 and 65 3 speed trans have no front oil seal in them and 1st and reverse gears are not synchronized, so they are a useless transmission,,,,,
    wideload
    wideload
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 1388
    Registration date : 2008-05-11

Post by wideload Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:45 am

Don are the 2nd gen and 1st gen three speeds the same physical size and mount? Could you replace a 1st gen three speed with a 2nd gen or would there be a bunch of mods to do?

Post by Guest Mon Jan 26, 2009 6:43 am

Ok...now give me a break here but i must ask......when we talk first gen chevy and second gen chevy.....what years are we talking??.....63-66......or 63 -70??......thats the ford in me talking!!!!!!......thanx
    savage
    savage

Number of posts : 2626
    Registration date : 2008-05-15

Post by savage Mon Jan 26, 2009 7:22 am

On Chevy Vans, it 64-66 are 1st gens & 67 -70 are 2nd gens. Seems like the 66 was the frist year for a sync trans??? I put a 68 van(sync trans), 3 speed in my 64 ,but it also has a 250 (out of a 69 Nova) in it. Had to switch out 1 shif rod . As it was a little to short.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Mon Jan 26, 2009 9:19 am

I have a 69 3 speed synchro trans in my 65 right now,,,,,,you need the 2nd Gen yoke, cross shaft , and 1 rod to make it fit a 1st Gen, (I just got a piece of threaded rod clamped on to my rod right now so I don't have to change out the short rod),,,,,,,or get a 66 that goes right in,,,,,,,,
    wacko
    wacko

Number of posts : 423
    Registration date : 2008-05-20

Post by wacko Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:10 am

Wow. Its nice to hear there is an advantage to my 66.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:37 am

And the award for worst trans,,,,,,,,a 1964 3 speed,,,,,,the cross shaft is bolted right to the trans,,,,and as soon as the rubber trans mount wears out, the trans twists and snaps it off,,,,,,thats why the 65 came with a spring mounted cross shaft. But it the same old story,,,,,each new year they fixed the past year problems,,,,,, so the 1970 is as good as it got,,,,,also those transmissions in the 2nd Gens came with V 8 engines, so they are tough enough. The good things about these vans is that you can take off all the good stuff from a newer van and upgrade your older one,,,,,,,,,,

three speed tranny 12_gen11

Post by Guest Mon Jan 26, 2009 11:34 am

That is great to know.....my buddy in high school had a 108 with the 307 three speed...it flew....i know he wasnt easy on it either..I remember him side stepping the clutch and that van would smoke....im still on the fence about the standard or the automatic for my motor....also when i get the van here i suppose i should see what i have on my plate!!...I was told it is a 292 with a three speed standard..so i may already have the " better transmission" installed with the larger 6 and i would imagine that the bellhousing should be the same as the v-8....either way I really didnt buy it for the six anyways....and i guess that i will post some pics and or serial numbers to determine what i have.....should be here this week!!
    ChevyVanMan1

Number of posts : 425
    Registration date : 2009-07-19

Post by ChevyVanMan1 Mon Nov 02, 2009 1:16 pm

Can I just swap my non synchro '65 3 speed for a synchro 3 speed like a '66? I've understand, except for OD, all top gears go to is 1:1 so I don't see an advantage to a 4 speed other than 1 one gear to clutch. Had a 3 speed before and liked the idea that I could keep it in 2nd most of the time while tooling around town. Thanks for the info.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Mon Nov 02, 2009 5:59 pm

I should of put a synchro trans in my 65, 400,000 miles ago,,,,,but a few months ago, I put this 69 in it,,,,,,I think I had to use the 2nd Gen 2nd & 3rd cross shaft, then extend my 1st & Reverse rod,,,,,use a 2nd Gen driveshaft yoke because the splines were different. And since this trans is out of a 4:11, the speedo reads low,,,,,I think you need to change the tail shaft gear to make it right,,,,,,and the trans has a front seal instead of an oil slinger,,,,,,this is the way to go for a 3 speed......

three speed tranny Nodoor63
    Warlock
    Warlock

Number of posts : 4
    Registration date : 2009-08-02

three speed tranny Empty Three speed manual trany

Post by Warlock Mon Nov 16, 2009 12:43 pm

I have a three-speed manual out of a 69 108, and it has outlasted two vans and both times behind a V8 and as of next spring will bebe going in my present van, (as soon as I find a set of shift rods). If this isn't a testament to the durability of the second gen three speed , I don't know what is. Cool
    64Handivan
    64Handivan

Number of posts : 72
    Registration date : 2008-11-14

Post by 64Handivan Fri Nov 20, 2009 3:11 pm

Great thread guys.
    I must be on of the lucky ones. I am still running the original 64 transmission in mine, however it also only has 67,000 miles on it, and I also drive easier than my grandpa ever did. I have thought of the option several times, but money permits little at a time these days. Lots of good information though. Keep on keep'n on Cool

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:46 am