VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+5
Stoopid john
RodStRace
SnarkyPoet
dix
donivan65
9 posters

running hot

running hot - Page 2 Empty Re: running hot

Post by Guest Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:16 pm

i did used a light, and the original timing tab wouldnt fit properly( from 1979),i had to grind the side where it meets the belt, some of the numbers were out,so .....

today i did (try)adjust the fuel mixture but the fuel seem old, so i went purchase some hight octane fuel and gave it a ride, will need a few more ride!!! but it was nice seeing people cheering at the van, kids screamed scooby doo , old folks were smiling, i gotta be a weirdo!......corrosive

lws67
    lws67

Number of posts : 193
    Registration date : 2012-06-20

Post by lws67 Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:41 pm

You really should use a vacuum gauge to set the idle mixture screw(s) in order to get the highest vacuum reading you can. And I believe the recommended idle speed setting is 500-600rpm. The idle mixture screw(s) only affect the idle and just into part throttle. You also need to set the timing at what the specs call for, 5-10 degrees before top dead center. I'm not sure of your level of skill but you need a manual on your van, and then set these things to spec so as to have a sound baseline to then fine tune. Have you done a plug chop??
    I would leave the passenger side panel off, bring your tools, go for a drive down a desolate road, maintain a specific speed, say 50-60mph for a bit, slip the trans into neutral and kill the motor and bring the rig to a stop, and pull a plug or two and check the color. You may very well have a lean condition at higher speeds...but you will never know unless you do the above plug chop.....You could have a fuel starvationn issue also..There are many things to check to know whether they are part of the problem or not.
    dix
    dix
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 8731
    Registration date : 2008-05-29

Post by dix Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:05 pm

I may be wrong but I'm thinking the timing is about 8 degrees after ... i can look it up for the 69 318.

Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Post by dix Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:12 pm

my service manual for a 69 a100 says 5 degree ATC. from what i've been reading i set mine @ 8 degree ATC. If its hard to start once it's been run to back it down some

Post by Guest Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:21 am

dix wrote:I may be wrong but I'm thinking the timing is about 8 degrees after ... i can look it up for the 69 318.

mine is a 1979 super six(dual carb) so in my book it says 12b, i have the right pluggs rn12...something, but even after the idle mixtyure it still run hot!!

Post by Guest Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:35 am

lws67 wrote:You really should use a vacuum gauge to set the idle mixture screw(s) in order to get the highest vacuum reading you can. And I believe the recommended idle speed setting is 500-600rpm. The idle mixture screw(s) only affect the idle and just into part throttle. You also need to set the timing at what the specs call for, 5-10 degrees before top dead center. I'm not sure of your level of skill but you need a manual on your van, and then set these things to spec so as to have a sound baseline to then fine tune. Have you done a plug chop??
    I would leave the passenger side panel off, bring your tools, go for a drive down a desolate road, maintain a specific speed, say 50-60mph for a bit, slip the trans into neutral and kill the motor and bring the rig to a stop, and pull a plug or two and check the color. You may very well have a lean condition at higher speeds...but you will never know unless you do the above plug chop.....You could have a fuel starvationn issue also..There are many things to check to know whether they are part of the problem or not.

no i just learned it from you, and i will try it soon, since my 'bad' fuel is nt all gone yet i will ride it and put back some super in it and then try the plug chop..

by the way hard start in the morning...corrosive

Post by Guest Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:49 pm

ok,,,,,,,i did set the timing back to 12 btdc,
    set the idle mixture , but i find the screws a bit on the edge, i did 8.5 turns( it holds by the tip)!!running hot - Page 2 Franck15

the idle is set at 750rpm.

......i did removed the #1 and number #4 pluggs, and they are still white!!(#1 is at right) after an hour ride at highway speed.

running hot - Page 2 Franck11

i did looked at the clear fuel filter while running idling and it doesnt get full, the level only reach 1/8 of the bottle, could it be a bad fuel pump???
    running hot - Page 2 Franck16

i have problem at high speed, its craving fuel, it doesnt go any faster than 55 m/h, it feel like theres no more power left , ( with that timing), is there a way of testing the fuel pump??shouldnt that fuel filter be full??? ...

..by the way i did plug the vacuum and it read 22 in idling and goes up to 26 accelerating, the needle was very steady ......any inputs will be apreciated... .corrosive
    dix
    dix
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Post by dix Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:06 pm

for the price what about a inline electric fuel pump ,

Post by Guest Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:18 pm

dix wrote:for the price what about a inline electric fuel pump ,

would it be better and more reliable??
    Stoopid john
    Stoopid john

Number of posts : 265
    Registration date : 2011-06-03

Post by Stoopid john Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:41 pm

Good point on the balancer, i had two here and both had spun. Your best bet is to bring #1 piston to the top and make your own mark on the balancer with paint and set the timing with that.

My fuel filter never gets full, i put a new pump on mine when i swapped engines. You can get a fuel pressure gauge (some vacuum gauges will work)Pretty much anything over 4psi will feed your engine. When you say no faster, does it sputter or crap out, or just like hit a wall and not go faster?

If your van is like mine maybe faster than 55 is not so bad Shocked

Post by Guest Sat Mar 30, 2013 6:51 am

Stoopid john wrote:Good point on the balancer, i had two here and both had spun. Your best bet is to bring #1 piston to the top and make your own mark on the balancer with paint and set the timing with that.

My fuel filter never gets full, i put a new pump on mine when i swapped engines. You can get a fuel pressure gauge (some vacuum gauges will work)Pretty much anything over 4psi will feed your engine. When you say no faster, does it sputter or crap out, or just like hit a wall and not go faster?

If your van is like mine maybe faster than 55 is not so bad Shocked

the engine rev but doesnt go faster , like it reach 2500rpm and even if the engine rev more IT DOESNT GO FASTER on the speedo..

i did order a new fuel pump from rockauto,i took the actual pump out the engine and put it back on it, and i've notice the filter is now halfway full????, and the van drive better ...but for how long??? but ill check that balancer very closely soon...

i dont know about you but i would be please to get to a confortable 55-60 at least, ....i will mainly drive on highways for traveling(passing Westfalia) Cool .

corrosive
    dix
    dix
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Post by dix Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:20 am

what rear gears are in the van.???

Post by Guest Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:33 am

3.55 with a A-745......

Post by Guest Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:36 am

up to date.........
    i've checked this morning the vaccum advance, it wasnt working properly,played with it, order new one and i shot some wd40,(wishing),

also checked for vaccum leaks, did find some not really so tight hoses, changed all that,fix idle mixture and went for a ride , big diference, i can easily get to 55 and more, but the road and the handling doesnt permit in the name of safety, but it esily reach 3000rpm under load,so i'm really happy,aceleration is surprising....BIG BIG IMPROVEMENT

the fuel pump and the distributor vaccum advance will be changed,the original gauges repluged, and i'll buy some new hoses for the vaccum,its a closed file.

thanks to everybody. cheers cheers cheers ......corrosive
    dix
    dix
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Post by dix Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:31 pm

Glad to hear it's comming around, I was hoping you didn't have 3.91 gears in there.

Post by Guest Sun Mar 31, 2013 3:18 pm

dix wrote:Glad to hear it's comming around, I was hoping you didn't have 3.91 gears in there.

when i'll have some time , i'll put a 3.23, since my 3.55 is noisy, i feel it will be the next big improvement for fuel economy, with front disc brake( have to handle all that power!! Very Happy ).....corrossive
    dix
    dix
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Post by dix Sun Mar 31, 2013 3:27 pm

It will help by keeping the rpm down so the engine will not be running as high. In return it will run cooler.

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

Post by Twinpilot001 Sun Mar 31, 2013 4:37 pm

spark plugs being =WHITE- indicate a very lean fuel mixtire!! be careful - have you checked for intake manifold gasket leaking air into the cylinders that have white colored spark plugs?? Im bettin that some of the major problem-Intake gasket bad!!?? Spark plug on the left is the way all should look !!Light brown colored.

Post by Guest Sun Mar 31, 2013 5:28 pm

all six that i've own had this thing with pluggs, leaner( 1 and 6) at extremeties and richer (2 to 5 )as it goes in the middle,should it be diferent?? my #1 plugg in the picture is too lean, it should be light brown like the #4, and mayby the #4 could be darker....is it typical to the slant six???? ....corrosive

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 08, 2024 12:43 pm