VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

2 posters

194 Is Running Bad

194 Is Running Bad Empty 194 Is Running Bad

Post by Guest Sun Apr 19, 2009 7:51 pm

Lately Ive been trying to get my 64 on the road. I recently put a rebuilt carb on it and it seems to be running better but thats not saying much. Whenever you take off from a stop it runs really rough, but once you get the rpms up it gets better. Then once you shift to second and the rpms go back down, it does the same thing. Could it be the carb? The altiitude is pretty high here, maybe I need to have it re-jetted? I dont know, thats why im asking you guys. Your imput on this would be great. Thanks,

-Ryan
    DanTheVanMan
    DanTheVanMan
    Commissioner
    Commissioner

Number of posts : 7900
    Registration date : 2008-10-08

194 Is Running Bad Empty Re: 194 Is Running Bad

Post by DanTheVanMan Sun Apr 19, 2009 8:01 pm

Ryan,
    Make sure your timing is correct then adjust your carb. Also make sure your vacume advance is hooked up and working.

When Donivan see's this thread he will most likely write a book for you...

2004 Kawasaki KLR650
    1997 Jeep TJ Sport

My Mini Gallery

194 Is Running Bad Qr_cod10

<-<-<- Cruising is not a "Point A to Point B" thing, but an "Everything in between thing!  <-<-<-
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Sun Apr 19, 2009 9:03 pm

The most important setting on an Early Van is the points, if it is not right, the spark plugs won't fire the fuel. They wear themselves out of adjustment really fast. So my question is,,,,,,IF you stiil have points and condenser in your distributor are they still good and not burnt out or pitted and are they set for .016 which is a 31 to 34 degree reading with a dwellmeter. Lets get this basic thing straightened out then worry about the other things that depend on this setting.

Post by Guest Tue Apr 21, 2009 2:04 pm

When I bought the van, two cylinders werent fireing. We replaced the cap, plugs, and plug wires and that helped fire the other two cylinders. Now that its running bad, I think im going to have to replace the points. Ill let you know how it goes. Thanks for the help,

-Ryan
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Tue Apr 21, 2009 2:36 pm

Start at the beginning,,,,,,,take a compression test so we know how good of an engine you have to start with,,,,,

Post by Guest Sat May 02, 2009 10:41 am

Ok so the compression and timing is good but whenever I take off from a stop it feels like theres not enough gas getting to the carb. I also have one of those clear fuel filters and there is no gas in it until the rpms go up. Could this be the fuel pump?
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Sat May 02, 2009 11:46 am

Do you know how clean the gas tank is? The fuel pump could also be sucking air at idle because of cracked hoses at the tank and at the fuel pump,,,,,check those and maybe get a gas can and stick a hose from the suction side of the fuel pump in it and see if the van acts better,,,,,this will eliminate and fueltank/hose/line problems. Also maybe your van is loading up at idle,,,,,,let it idle for a while then shut it off and look and see if gas is laying down inside the carb throat. And does the accelerator pump work,,,,,do you see it squirt gas into the carb when you pump the pedal????? I don't know about the fuel pump,,,,the carb gets its gas from the bowl,,,,the fuel pump just keeps it topped off,,,,,and it has to get by the needle 1st. Sure sounds like a accelerator pump problem,,,,,,is it a Carter YF ????

Post by Guest Sat May 02, 2009 6:25 pm

I know that the gas tank was cleaned out in 2007. I let the van idle for a while, then shut it off. I could see no gas in the throat. Where is the accelerator pump? I couldnt see any gas squirt into the carb. And ya, its a Carter YF.

Post by Guest Sat May 02, 2009 7:42 pm

Have you checked ALL the fuel lines.......at the tank and pump/engine? Sounds like its sucking air like donivan said. If the fuel lines are ok you may have a pinhole in the fuel pump membrane or the pump may be junk. Check the lines then do a preasure check on the pump.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Sat May 02, 2009 8:49 pm

OK,,,,,,look way down by that square notch in the air horn,,,,,there is a small pipe sticking out of the wall,,,,,,,that is the pump discharge nozzle,,,,,,Carter YF's are funny,,,,,they use vacuum to operate the pump,,,,,also if the carb sat around a long time, the rubber diaphram could be dried out. So just see if gas sprays out of that nozzle,,,,,,,,,

194 Is Running Bad Workin13

Post by Guest Sun May 03, 2009 4:34 pm

Ok gas is sparying out of that nozzle, and there is no gas laying in the carb throat when I shut it off.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Mon May 04, 2009 11:12 am

Are the vacuum and centrifugal advances working????

Post by Guest Tue May 05, 2009 3:00 pm

donivan65 wrote:Are the vacuum and centrifugal advances working????

Yes they are working.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Tue May 05, 2009 9:19 pm

Sometimes the timing mark slips on the damper,,,,,idle the engine, turn the distributor until you get the best idle and set it there,,,,,see if that helps,,,,,,

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:19 am