VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+2
savage
donivan65
6 posters

65 Spring help

65 Spring help Empty 65 Spring help

Post by Guest Sat Jan 24, 2009 12:32 am

Hi, just started working on a 65 GMC that once was a full custom job that got neglected by last owner and left to rot. Got it running but it was lowered by relocating the springs, front and rear, below the axles. I want to relocate the springs back to stock but the rear shackles look like custom jobs and wont work if I move the springs back to the top. Anyone know of a company I can get stock rear shackles from? Any potential problems I might be looking at that someone can warn me about before I start this job? Any and all info and suggestions are greatly appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Derek
    65 Spring help Van_sp12
    65 Spring help Van_sp18
    65 Spring help Van_sp19
    65 Spring help Van_sp20
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

65 Spring help Empty Re: 65 Spring help

Post by donivan65 Sat Jan 24, 2009 9:44 am

I am running those exact shackles on my 65 to raise up the back end. The original ones might be the same as a 55-57 chevy car,,,,,You can cut down and drill the extended ones back to stock using the fronts as a sample if they are still there.

65 Spring help Spring10

65 Spring help Spring11
    savage
    savage

Number of posts : 2626
    Registration date : 2008-05-15

Post by savage Sat Jan 24, 2009 9:50 am

Welcome Derek,Seems like somebody posted useing the ones off a 57 Chevy cay??? It kind of looks like they might of de-arked(kind of flat) your springs too to get it lower also??
    wacko
    wacko

Number of posts : 423
    Registration date : 2008-05-20

Post by wacko Sat Jan 24, 2009 10:23 am

Welcome Derek. I am considering lowering my van the way yours has been lowered. Why are you putting it back to stock? The look? The ride?
    wacko
    wacko

Post by wacko Sat Jan 24, 2009 10:30 am

Hey can you post a larger pic of your avatar? Is that a club cab pick-up?
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Number of posts : 30743
    Registration date : 2008-05-06

Post by G-Man Sat Jan 24, 2009 11:46 am

Welcome to the site. Cool to have someone from the Islands

Post by Guest Sat Jan 24, 2009 12:32 pm

Thanks for the warm welcome and quick replys. Sorry new to Vans, so not familiar with the model distictions? In regards to Wacko, I know its a Handivan, emblem still there, but not sure what a club cab pick up is. Donovan, is the lower photo a set of the tri-5 chevy shackles, if so what company did you use? The reason I want to raise it is, although it looks cool, it sucks to drive. Airbags would be more expensive, but the drive would be a lot smoother. More importantly, almost all the tires rub the fender well. The rims and tires I got on it now are just to move it around. Not sure how previous owner got around without it rubbing, tire blew when I drove it home, maybe springs sagged over time? Its been sitting for about 5 years. Is rear front shackle same as rear rear shackle? Again, thanks for all your help. This site is great!
    65 Spring help Van_0012
    65 Spring help Van_0013
    65 Spring help Van_0014
    65 Spring help Van_0015
    65 Spring help Van_0016
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Number of posts : 30743
    Registration date : 2008-05-06

Post by G-Man Sat Jan 24, 2009 12:38 pm

Great looking van!!! Maybe go to a spring shop and add some new leafs. Those springs look pretty flat. Might be the best to fix it for the long term.

Post by Guest Sat Jan 24, 2009 12:39 pm

Also, I think someone got a th350 under there with a adapter plate(still got the 6 in it, 230 I think?) and thought the th350 doesnt mount to the 6 unless maybe an adapter was used. Also, looks like the doors had windows but were covered with sheet metal at some time. The Van was featured in a Japanese surf culter mag bout 9 years ago, and it looked great. Owner neglect did it in. Needs tons of body work, but I got it for $600 and I always wanted this style van for years, just dont see much of em on this island(Oahu, near Pearl Harbor)

Post by Guest Sat Jan 24, 2009 12:43 pm

Even with new springs, would relocating them back over to stock locations be recomended? I mainly want the tires to clear the wheel wells to fit without rubbing yet not going too skinny.
    wacko
    wacko

Post by wacko Sat Jan 24, 2009 1:13 pm

haha, my eyes were playing tricks on me. still cool looking van though.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Sat Jan 24, 2009 1:31 pm

All 4 shackles are the same,,,,,and you are right,,,,extended shackles don't help the handling,,,,,,I think the Chevy car ones are expensive,,,,you can just make shackles out of flat stock,,,,,,,my buddies Scott and Emily are out there in the Islands with their High Rider right now,,,,,,,

65 Spring help Chevy_11

Post by Guest Sat Jan 24, 2009 1:54 pm

Hey Donivan, did you use the chevy car ones and if so, how much do they go for? Your van looks great by the way. Do your freinds live here or visiting?
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Sat Jan 24, 2009 2:03 pm

Those Gypsies live out there somewhere now,,,,I never bought any car shackles, but I see them in catalogs,,,,,They probably are rears off a 55 Chevy car,,,,,Danchuk #062,,,,,I am using the old ones on Vanishes No Door,,,,there is not much to them, a 5" flat piece of stock,,,,2 holes,,,,squared out if you use the carriage bolts,,,,,

65 Spring help Workin18

Post by Guest Sat Jan 24, 2009 2:12 pm

I just realized your photo was just stock peices cleaned up real nice, thought they were new. I will probably just use the fronts as templates and make em myself. Thanks for the info.
    sasktrini
    sasktrini

Number of posts : 2067

Post by sasktrini Sat Jan 24, 2009 2:42 pm

Welcome! This is a great topic to follow too! Congrats on the new van!

Post by Guest Sat Jan 24, 2009 3:00 pm

Has any one used the 55 chevy shackle before? They have a different look with the angle, but seem to be the right length? Only bout $50 a set with bushings, which would probably need replacing anyway?
    65 Spring help 09_02_10
    65 Spring help Van_0017
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Sat Jan 24, 2009 5:23 pm

I would find out the diameter of the bushings from them to be sure that they will fit in your springs,,,,AND,,,, those bushings themselves are like $4 each. I just took apart 2 springs to be used on the rear of the TreeVan. You can see here that there is a 4" height difference in the re-arced and old springs,,,,,(look how the shackle position moves),,,,,but there is no guarantee that what the height will be on the vehicle,,,,,

65 Spring help Nodoor24
    wideload
    wideload
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 1388
    Registration date : 2008-05-11

Post by wideload Sat Jan 24, 2009 6:48 pm

M1dadio used those on his 65 and said that they worked great. Here's a link to a post over on VCVC that has pic's and some more discussion.

http://www.vcvc.org/ubb/Forum2/HTML/002324.html

Post by Guest Sun Jan 25, 2009 1:58 am

Thanks Donivan for the photo, the re-arced springs look a lot more like I would expect them to look like. Thanks for the link as well wideload, good to know they work. Im now thinking of using my long shackles and adding multiple mounting positons to allow for different ride heights? One way to find out, hope those bolts arent too frozen on there. Been soaking em with lubricant and will tear into it tomorrow. Thanks again for all the input and help.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 07, 2024 5:08 am