VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

5 posters

rear spring perch rust repair - advice needed

xjamesx
    xjamesx

Number of posts : 378
    Registration date : 2008-05-14

rear spring perch rust repair - advice needed Empty rear spring perch rust repair - advice needed

Post by xjamesx Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:30 pm

So besides the van's outer panel rust, I have this rust/rot issue that must be taken care of. The driver side rear leaf spring perch is rotting bad as well as the van floor it is attached to. I will include a few pics in this post as well.
    My questions are: Do I just fabricate the exact same stock set up it had before (and still has on the passenger side)? Anything special I should do to fix the van floor that appears to be flexing due to the rusted perch coming though or just weld in a new replacement panel? If so, is there a specific gauge metal to look for on this overall project?
    I have the basic tools, welder and the will to get this done but want to research and plan ahead to tackle this once and as efficient as possible.
    ANY advice is appreciated. Thanks!!!
    Here's the bottom shot:
    rear spring perch rust repair - advice needed 9D583808-9FC3-4A0C-9B71-7A447D2EDE5E-854-0000010433747084
    and the upper/inside view:
    rear spring perch rust repair - advice needed 4C2AECDD-6B1C-4572-B6CB-2EE16B0AEE3E-854-0000010418C541B2
    Big W
    Big W

Number of posts : 3282
    Registration date : 2011-01-13

rear spring perch rust repair - advice needed Empty Re: rear spring perch rust repair - advice needed

Post by Big W Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:36 pm

Oh boy!!!....That's your frame that's rotten. That would certainly cause the floor to move. How bad is the rest of the frame. I no this can be fixed, but depending on the rest of the frame, you may need to make a section big enough to go from the rear bumper up past the front spring perches. Others that have done this will undoubtedly chime in. But I believe this can be fixed.
    66ThunderVan
    66ThunderVan

Number of posts : 384
    Registration date : 2012-01-08

rear spring perch rust repair - advice needed Empty Re: rear spring perch rust repair - advice needed

Post by 66ThunderVan Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:01 am

Yes that can be repaired. If that was mine I'd find a van to get a patch from and replace the floor and sub frame section. I hope the main frame is in better shape. That looks like the usual rust we find.
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

Post by Twinpilot001 Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:28 pm

ok weve seen that done here before -its in our archives =?? somewhere?? with detailed pics - i hope the vanner that did that repair will chime in & direct us on that again. Seems like he cut out the rusted area & welded in some heavywall tubing -maybe rectangular stuff -same size as origional too. then reinforced the sides & top & bottom with add'l plates too. Good ol salted roads!! affraid Evil or Very Mad Mad
    xjamesx
    xjamesx

Post by xjamesx Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:33 pm

Thanks guys. I hope the member you are talking about Twinpilot will jump in on this thread. If not, I have some ideas and I have been planning this out with some mechanical buddies of mine here.
    The rest of the frames and subframes are very near perfect, but when they Ziebarted the bottom of the van, they missed this corner apparently. It is the rockers, inner panels of the rockers, and the door lowers that need attention after this perch.
    Thanks for the input so far. Any other advice is welcome too.
    frozintime
    frozintime

Number of posts : 1
    Registration date : 2014-03-28

Post by frozintime Sat Mar 29, 2014 5:39 am

That's the ticket ..I bought a 67 and when I looked up while it was on the rack the frame looked great..that sold me..... then when it was transported the spings came through the rear of the floor ..ouch. This might be a time to modify the rear suspension..What direction...I would think a perch connected to the frame would be smarter ?
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

Post by Twinpilot001 Sat Mar 29, 2014 6:31 am

seems the best would be to make a piece that fits inside the old frame rail?? then another that goes over that=rectangular tube-heavy wall stuff!! yet best advice is - take it to a good welder & ask his advice or get a welder to stop buy the van?? cheers 
    xjamesx
    xjamesx

Post by xjamesx Sat Mar 29, 2014 5:00 pm

frozintime wrote:That's the ticket ..I bought a 67 and when I looked up while it was on the rack the frame looked great..that sold me..... then when it was transported the spings came through the rear of the floor ..ouch. This might be a time to modify the rear suspension..What direction...I would think a perch connected to the frame would be smarter ?

I've rebuilt this whole section now. It isn't "stock" but it is built better and to last. Check out the new rebuild pictures in the Member's build section under my name. Oh and FrozinTime, where are you in Maine? There's a few of us vanners around here. I'm in Turner (near Auburn).

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 08, 2024 4:37 am