VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

2 posters

Motor Swap

Motor Swap Empty Motor Swap

Post by Guest Mon Jan 19, 2009 7:17 pm

A good friend (and a great mechanic) called me saturday, he's found a 92 Ford Ranger, with an OD automatic transmission, good 2.3 motor with the exception of dropped valve. The head is off the car, the cylinder walls look good, I can get a good head from another car that is fine for about $75.00. So, for about $300 and a tune up I can put the motor in my Econo. I will have an automatic transmission, late model running gear with Fuel Injection, with the prospects of 25 mpg.

If my memory is correct, the horsepower rating is actually higher on the 2.3 than the stock 170. I drove a 2000 Ranger with the manual transmission behind the same motor for a while a few years back. I had no problem with the power, even running the air conditioner or towing a light trailer.

Anybody done this swap? Anybody see any problems from trying to pull this swap off?

Thanks

Rob
    sasktrini
    sasktrini

Number of posts : 2067
    Registration date : 2008-05-20

Motor Swap Empty Re: Motor Swap

Post by sasktrini Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:20 am

Sounds cool! Leadfoot put a Nissan powerplant in the Chev Early he was trying to sell...
    DanTheVanMan
    DanTheVanMan
    Commissioner
    Commissioner

Number of posts : 7900
    Registration date : 2008-10-08

Post by DanTheVanMan Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:01 pm

Not sure if Leadfoot sold his Nisson pwered Early or not but it seemed to do a great job of pushing his early and it was a 4 banger with lotz of torque. Haven't heard from him in a while. Cool

2004 Kawasaki KLR650
    1997 Jeep TJ Sport

My Mini Gallery

Motor Swap Qr_cod10

<-<-<- Cruising is not a "Point A to Point B" thing, but an "Everything in between thing!  <-<-<-

Post by Guest Tue Jan 20, 2009 2:02 pm

You silly guys...it was a Toyota engine and yepper he sold it. He bought Wookee's old '87 Chevy van. Razz
    sasktrini
    sasktrini

Number of posts : 2067
    Registration date : 2008-05-20

Post by sasktrini Tue Jan 20, 2009 5:27 pm

I'm so seelee... I didn't know he sold it either! That's great... it took longer than expected. Who got it?

Post by Guest Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:15 am

Not sure...

Some guy locally up in CT I think.

Post by Guest Tue Feb 03, 2009 5:31 pm

Motor, just remember there's a few more things to this swap or any other like it. First, you'll need the processor and complete engine harness from the Ranger to install in your truck. Also, you'll need to install the higher pressure fuel lines, fuel pump, filter and return line from your tank. Make sure the AOD trans is a full hydraulic control and not a EAOD with electrical input and control. Your radiator needs the cooler for the trans. Also your air intake and filter system should have the Ranger sensors and air box fitted in. There's more but I think you'll get the idea. It ain't as easy as it seems. The AOD idea is great. I'd suggest putting it behind something with a carburetor.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 16, 2024 11:58 pm