VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+3
slowflapper
dix
dodge man
7 posters

do it yourself gas tank liner

dodge man
    dodge man

Number of posts : 2036
    Registration date : 2012-08-08

do it yourself gas tank liner - Page 2 Empty Re: do it yourself gas tank liner

Post by dodge man Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:09 pm

this hose and maybe some 5/16 hose at the float should be all i'll need to do the job, maybe a new tightening ring for the float unit, i wonder were i can get one of those,

i'll be taking alot of pictures while i'm doing it so everyone can see how it turns out

Last edited by dodge man on Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
    slowflapper
    slowflapper

Number of posts : 956
    Registration date : 2010-07-29

Post by slowflapper Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:09 pm

rebar wrote:It looks like your tank mounting strap is painted white, but if it's stainless steel or aluminum, I just posted a thought (and just a thought) about dissimilar metals here -

https://vintage-vans.forumotion.com/t32015-stainless-gas-tank-straps#140893

the white stuff is Arizona dirt Smile

I think the strap is just plain spring steel, it came with the van.
    slowflapper
    slowflapper

Post by slowflapper Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:15 pm

hebegb wrote:Guys dont bother w/ radiator hose. Order GATES # 24716 from any parts place. As for the gas tank. Ya may wanna check out www.gastankrenu.com They can take a rusted turd and send it back perfect..... expensive but perfect.

awesome info on the hose, and thanks to the guy below who posted about the marine tank hose as well. I cant remember if the hose I got is fuel rated or not but at the time I had to have it, the OEM one was rotted in half from old age.

I'll eventually replace it with one I know for certain is fuel rated but for now I keep an eye on it and have several filters in place. The whole thing was in bad shape when I got it, the pickup sock was gone and let everything into the fuel lines, even the pump was jammed full of trash.

dodge man
    dodge man

Post by dodge man Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:22 pm

i'm going to install a clear plastic fuel filter at the tank and a steel filter just before the pump, that way i can keep an eye on things, everyone should do the same with an old tank.
    dodge man
    dodge man

Post by dodge man Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:02 am

GETTING CABON FEVER, I HAVE ALL THE PARTS READY AND NOW ITS A COLD SPELL, SUNDAY I'LL HEAT UP THE GARAGE AND GET STARTED ITS GOING TO BE IN THE 40S, I HAVE THE 3 PART SEALER, ALL NEW HOSES, CLAMPS AND A NEW SENDING UNIT TIGHTENING RING AND GASKET, 2 CANS OF GAS TANK ZINC SPRAY IN SILVER, NEW STRAP INSULATION, SOMEONE USED A OLD FLEXIBLE RADIATOR HOSE FOR A FILLER HOSE, O BOY,, EVERY TIME I DO SOMETHING TO THIS VAN I HAVE TO FIX SOMEONES MESS,
    dodge man
    dodge man

Post by dodge man Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:23 am

anyone know where i can get a fuel tank sending unit, other than ebay, thanks for any help,
    dix
    dix
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 8732
    Registration date : 2008-05-29

Post by dix Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:20 pm

if you sit it out about once a month some one has them on e-bay for $50.00 that's where i got mine. make sure you put them side by side and bend the flote shaft/rod to match yours so it gives you empty and full.

Post by dodge man Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:45 pm

yeah i just bought one from ebay, i went to remove my old one and got a bath in gas, it was almost 3/4 full, it showed i had 1/4 full, and the float wasnt bad or had gas in it, so i'll have to start by adjusting the new float, everything on this van has been tampered with by someone who didnt know anything, i have to rework everything, but i'll have a new van when i'm done, thanks for all your help dix, i really appreciate everything,
    slowflapper
    slowflapper

Post by slowflapper Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:19 am

dodge man wrote:yeah i just bought one from ebay, i went to remove my old one and got a bath in gas, it was almost 3/4 full, it showed i had 1/4 full, and the float wasnt bad or had gas in it, so i'll have to start by adjusting the new float, everything on this van has been tampered with by someone who didnt know anything, i have to rework everything, but i'll have a new van when i'm done, thanks for all your help dix, i really appreciate everything,

yep, that's about how it is Smile

All of my work so far and pretty much been doing long neglected maintenance and fixing hacked up repairs. Mine wasn't to bad but when I found the last 4" of main electrical wire to the fuse box had been replaced with a twisted together piece of 18awg I wanted to find that guy and kick him in the cojones.
    dodge man
    dodge man

Post by dodge man Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:08 pm

do it yourself gas tank liner - Page 2 00112do it yourself gas tank liner - Page 2 00210do it yourself gas tank liner - Page 2 00511=https://servimg.com/view/17715767/118]do it yourself gas tank liner - Page 2 00411[/url]767]do it yourself gas tank liner - Page 2 00310[/url] have the tank all cleaned out, etched, and sealer installed now i'll wait 3 weeks for it to dry hard before adding gas, all new gas lines, filters, insulation, inlet hose and t bolt clamps, sprayed the outside with eastwood gas tank paint, should never have any fuel problems, the long wait to install gas is that i couldnt remove all the sealer and when it puddles you must wait till it dries hard,
    dodge man
    dodge man

Post by dodge man Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:32 pm

dix
    dix
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Post by dix Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:44 pm

the photo shows a sender/flote ground strap. it's used to jump the small rubber hose conecting the flote ground to the fuel line for a proper working fuel gauge. http://www.partsmix.com/Mopar-Sending-Unit-Ground-Strap-PM-GS-122.htm

Post by dodge man Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:46 pm

thanks dix, i used a wire clamped to the sending unit then to the frame, i checked and adjusted the float, everything works now, it was not fun when i got a bath in gas pulling out the old sender, i was only 5 feet from an open flame from my garage heater,
    slowflapper
    slowflapper

Post by slowflapper Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:42 am

I did the same thing dodge man, my ground clip is still there but I ran a ground wire to the frame anyway.
    dodge man
    dodge man

Post by dodge man Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:54 am

yeah the fuel line runs through rubber gromets and is fasten to the frame in a couple of places, a wire connected to the frame and clamped to the sending unit outlet tube is a sure ground,
    dix
    dix
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Post by dix Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:17 pm

That will do it I just want to make sure you were aware of the groundind of the flote. Ps you should never take a bath in the garage...Sorry but i had to do that....

Post by dodge man Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:37 pm

lol yeah dix i went by my gauge that said i had under 1/4 tank, when i pulled out on that sending unit it came out like a fire hose, i was shitin my self just thinking the fumes would reach my furness, lol i ran in the house stripping off my choles and jumping in the shower, needless to say i lost all my heat it the garage opening all the doors, that was to close !!
    rebar
    rebar

Number of posts : 151
    Registration date : 2012-10-31

Post by rebar Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:32 pm

Looks really good Mr dodge man. I shoulda checked this thread in the last couple days and asked where you got the tank filler hose. I just now got home with mine and looks to be the same as yours -

"90 degree gas filler neck hose #1038" NAPA bar code – 0 - 29769 17438 – 8. But considering the source, you can count on it being 'spensive as hell.
    dodge man
    dodge man

Post by dodge man Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:38 pm

just checked the hose was 16.57 3.50 shipping midway auto supply, not a bad price,
    rebar
    rebar

Post by rebar Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:47 pm

It's not too late to return mine - and save $20 !!!
    dodge man
    dodge man

Post by dodge man Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:52 pm

rebar
    rebar

Post by rebar Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:08 pm

Thank you. They soaked me for $36.29.
    dodge man
    dodge man

Post by dodge man Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:16 pm

i couldnt believe theres not one on ebay, midway was the cheapest,

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 4:21 pm