VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+2
Twinpilot001
austinmodhouse
6 posters

starter not engaging

Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

starter not engaging - Page 2 Empty Re: starter not engaging

Post by Twinpilot001 Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:51 am

Heres one from EXPERIENCE!!- I had a drag boat- after parking it in fromt of the house late one night - i was awakened with it running?? I knew i had the key out & in the house-went out & looked - yes--no key!! still running & starter was cranking also??HUMMMM??=No =Tools -undys on - now what do i do?? HEHE =I went to the battery & actually pulled the positive post apart as it was tight & wouldnt come off. All quit so next day =i went out & installed a new battery & found the =Key Swicch was bad & allowed the starter to engage , crank the engine & started up!! Key switch was bad - shorted internally!! I have also seen starters go bad internally & short out & fry battery cables & batterys also. Try the key switch 1st & replace it!!
    austinmodhouse
    austinmodhouse

Number of posts : 575
    Registration date : 2010-07-30

Post by austinmodhouse Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:24 am

yes, ignition switch replacement is part of the plan. I have a new one setting there to swap out. but that is where things got messy again as the previous owner did a quick wiring job to get it running via universal switch dangling from wires underneath the dash, he lost the original keys.

I found that removing a ford ignition switch w/o the key is either a messy drill out technique or locksmith. I’m planning to use my AAA membership to provide the locksmith. and I thought this would be an easy fun project. HA!
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:34 am

,,,,,,as M1Dadio says,,,,A guys got to know his limitations,,,,,all we can do here is give you choices,,,,you pick whats right for you,,,,,don't let us make you do something you don't want or can't do.....the battery, starter and coil wires run side by side all the way from the doghouse to the ignition switch, if they touch each other, or get melted together, anywhere along the way, that automatically turns the ignition switch on,,,,or if someone put the wires on the wrong terminals on the ignition switch,,or if the the switch itself is shorted out inside,,,,,,but,,,,do what is right for you.....
    austinmodhouse
    austinmodhouse

Number of posts : 575
    Registration date : 2010-07-30

Post by austinmodhouse Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:51 am

I know, it sounds so simple, two wires. I really do appreciate the help. I keep forgetting to bring my volt meter back from our “other” house.

part of my problem, is this getting old crap. I’ve recently developed eczema! never had it before. dermatologist told me it was part of getting old. it seems if I get near oil/gas (old vehicles) I quickly get these fissures on my skin… yeah, I bought the nitrile gloves, but they annoy me and I’m used to the tactile component of my hands.

I will try to spend a few minutes looking at it next week, after I get around to calling AAA locksmith.

I did manage to get my wife’s 1972 bmw 2002 out of the garage and back on the road. it was in there for a year and a half.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:22 pm

I am just saying that what if you throw a new switch in it and that is not the problem and your van goes up in smoke,,,,,you really need to check to see if those 3 wires are not touching each other somewhere else,,,,,An ignition switch is a good guess but might not be the right answer,,,,,Its always good to check out the other possibilities, since more damage could of been created,,,,,and you can check each wire with a voltmeter or test light to see that they are still insulated from each other,,,,

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 3:45 am