VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+2
Twinpilot001
austinmodhouse
6 posters

starter not engaging

austinmodhouse
    austinmodhouse

Number of posts : 575
    Registration date : 2010-07-30

starter not engaging Empty starter not engaging

Post by austinmodhouse Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:45 pm

so I bought the falcon DCW van about a year ago.

starter not engaging Amh5224

I was too busy to do anything with it, figured I’d get around to it in a month or two.

so it started and drove when I bought it. drove itself up on that trailer and all.

then one day it wouldn’t turn over, the solenoid just made a loud buzzing sound. I removed the solenoid from my other econoline I had at the time, swapped them out and got the same result. I walked away for 6 months. I convinced myself the battery was bad.

so today I decided I’d throw a battery in it and give it a start. nothing. brand new battery, and also brand new battery cables as the old ones were fugly and brittle. so I just ordered a new solenoid from mac’s, they are cheap so I figured it was a good place to start.

any advice on what else I should do? should I try to jump the starter manually? it’s been a few years since I’ve done that. my volt meter is at my place in the hills, but I’m assuming I should bring that back to start chasing down my problem if the new solenoid doesn’t work like magic.

oh, and I also ordered a new ignition switch from Mac’s. the previous owner had lost the original keys and they have a universal switch wired up under the dash, just dangling there.

starter not engaging Amh5225
    austinmodhouse
    austinmodhouse

starter not engaging Empty Re: starter not engaging

Post by austinmodhouse Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:58 pm

so I had to go and mess with it some more. used some jumper cables and tapped the positive cable to the starter and got it to spring to action. first it was just a couple clicks then it cranked and cranked and cranked and I removed the positive cable and it kept cranking and cranking.

I turned the key to off and it quit. didn’t somebody else just have this sort of a problem?
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

Post by Twinpilot001 Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:57 pm

Any auto parts should have that standard ford solenoid. Likely thats whats bad yet-Id pull the starter & have an auto parts test it too =lube the drive up 1st also .
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:13 pm

You probably got the little wires switched on the relay,,,,,,
    61econoline
    61econoline

Number of posts : 655
    Registration date : 2009-04-16

Post by 61econoline Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:46 pm

solenoid
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:25 pm

Ford keeps messing it up,,,,,a relay transfers electricity,,,,a solenoid does something mechanical,,,,like move the starter drive into the flywheel,,,,at least they get it right in their schematics,,,,

starter not engaging Ford_r10
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:37 pm

Hey,,,,just one more benefit of owning a Ford,,,,it is what it is,,,,,,

starter not engaging Starte10
    61econoline
    61econoline

Number of posts : 655
    Registration date : 2009-04-16

Post by 61econoline Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:50 pm

we all ways called them solenoids relay it is
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:14 pm

,,,,I think if you are talking to a Ford guy,,,you say solenoid,,,,if you are talking to the rest of the world,,,,you say relay,,,,(just kidding around with you guys,,,),,,,,,but another problem with them is that they have to be grounded to work,,,,so that is another check,,,,and if a starter sits for a long time and won't spin,,,,the brushes can stick, so you tap on the starter with a hammer while someone turns the key and see if that gets the starter to operate
    Gothboy
    Gothboy

Number of posts : 714
    Registration date : 2012-07-02

Post by Gothboy Thu Dec 20, 2012 4:29 am

If you're into fords, keep an extra "good" relay around. Great for debugging issues. Swap in and see if thats the fix. If it is, they're so nice and cheap who could complain. If thats not it, go with the Hammer solution and give that a shot. Between the two, Fords'll almost always start. Very Happy
    austinmodhouse
    austinmodhouse

Post by austinmodhouse Thu Dec 20, 2012 7:45 am

I don’t think I have that wiring schematic, I’m probably going to need a manual. I’ve suspected that it’s a matter of one wire being misconnected/disconnected.

it’s probably going to be january before I get back at it. it was a lot easier when I had two econolines. I didn’t need a book or diagram when I had working example to reference.

Last edited by austinmodhouse on Thu Dec 20, 2012 7:48 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling typos)
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:38 am

The simple test would be to touch the 2 big cables together or undo the cable off the post that has the cable that goes to the starter and touch it to the other cable, (which goes to the battery),,,this will test the starter, battery and cables,,,if that makes the starter crank, put it back together, pull off the 2 little wires, touch the post with the battery cable on it to each one of the little posts with a piece of wire or pliers,,,this tests the relay,,,if the starter cranks,,,then you got wiring problems if the key won't make the engine start,,,,
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:01 am

starter not engaging Ford_r11
    austinmodhouse
    austinmodhouse

Post by austinmodhouse Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:33 am

wow, THANKS! when you put it like that, so simple even a caveman can do it. I’m starting to suspect something has come loose from that universal ignition switch that I have dangling from wires under the dash.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:35 am

There are 50 different problems you could have,,,so each test eliminates a bunch of them,,,,so you try and isolate the area where the problem is and fix it,,,,and this is some information for others who might run into a problem like yours,,,,,just don't take a little wire and jump across 1 and 4,,,,those BIG cables are there for a reason,,,,jumper cables work good for hooking 1 to 4,,,,for a few seconds, to run the test and see what you get,,,,,
    Gothboy
    Gothboy

Number of posts : 714
    Registration date : 2012-07-02

Post by Gothboy Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:41 am

^^^ This is why I run Ford Solenoids on ALOT of the cars I build. Easy to troubleshoot, easy to fix, cheap and easy to find. Very Happy Win win win!!!
    austinmodhouse
    austinmodhouse

Post by austinmodhouse Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:18 pm

I jumped 1-4 with jumper cables and starter spun. disconnected 2-3 and jumped 1-2 and the starter spun again (and spun and spun until even after I removed the jumper and only quit when I turned the key off). I jumped 1-3 and got nothing.

I also noted a small spark when I reconnected small wire to #2, would that indicate #2 and #3 have been swapped?
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:18 pm

OK,,,,,take the wires off 2 and 3 and connect 1 to 2,,,,,starter should crank and stop as soon as you disconnect 1 from 2,,,,,if you have a voltmeter or test light,,,take 2 and 3 off,,,,turn the ignition to ON,,,,the wire that gets juice goes to 3,,,,,turn the key to START,,,,the wire that gets juice goes to 2,,,,,,with the key off, no sparks or juice should be coming out of the small wires,,,,#1 always should have juice on it.....
    austinmodhouse
    austinmodhouse

Post by austinmodhouse Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:27 pm

well, to bring a fun wire chase to somewhat of a conclusion… I didn’t really have time to trouble shoot today. but I was walking past and thought to myself “why not just try swapping wire #2 and #3?” I did and sure enough, starter now engages, and stops as it should, from the ignition switch.

I’m hoping to get back at it first week of january. now that the starter turns as it should, I’m not seeing any fuel volunteering to go into the carb bowl. it’s very likely I need to add some to the tank. but I’m also planning to replace or at least flush the metal fuel line and replace the filter. and if that doesn’t work, R&R the fuel pump or quite possibly install an electric one.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Fri Dec 21, 2012 2:38 pm

One thing to check for no fuel delivery is the rubber hoses on the fuel pump and on top of the gas tank,,,,if those hoses crack it sucks air and won't pump the gas,,,,,,
    austinmodhouse
    austinmodhouse

Post by austinmodhouse Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:15 pm

I had replaced the tank when I first got the van, back when it ran. the fuel line for this one comes out the front of the tank, from the sending unit. that hose was ok, but I went ahead and replaced it with new while I was down there checking it today.

while the hose was off, I also unscrewed the metal end where it goes into the carb. I used my air compressor to run air through the fuel line. I was sort of expecting (hoping) a bunch of gummed up oily fuel sludge. but I heard nothing but air coming out, and the other end by the carb was dry. put fuel line back at both ends

I replaced the starter RELAY and it sure turns over like a champ now. the old relay was unreliable. it would sometimes crank, and sometimes just make a single click and do nothing.

then I noticed a bit of smoke coming up. I might have dripped a little fuel when I poured some into the carb. but it didn’t stop. then I heard some bubbling. I saw the smoke was coming from the coil, and the oil was bubbling from it.

I removed the positive battery cable real quick like! I removed the black wire that goes from the relay to the coil and found it was hot (even when key was turned off).

so I’’ve made progress in the fact that I can now confidently command the starter to turn the engine over. I’ve replaced some fuel line and the battery cables.

I have NOT yet replaced the universal ignition switch the previous owner installed when he lost the keys. I’m going to suspect that his quick wiring job was enough to get it started to show me the vehicle, and drive it onto my trailer (he didn’t keep a battery in it). but my problems have continued since I installed a new battery and I likely fried my coil.

so I guess my next big move is to get a locksmith to replace that universal ignition switch. then I decide if I need professional help or continue with the replacing of parts. so far, I’ve put about 2 gallons into the empty tank. it’s possible my fuel problems are low fuel related. but now I think I have no spark, but I’m out of time for today.

donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:17 pm

,,,,,,just in case you aint burnt this truck to the ground yet,,,,,the coil and points need 6 volts to keep from burning up,,,,so you need to see if there is a 6 volt ballast resistor in the line from the ignition switch to the positive side of the coil,,,,,,and if your coil melted, your points are probably fried so you won't have anymore spark,,,,,but all this is fixable......
    Magic Bus
    Magic Bus

Number of posts : 1422
    Registration date : 2009-12-02

Post by Magic Bus Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:58 pm

donivan65 wrote:starter not engaging Ford_r11

This is what I thought was suppose to happen but does not on my van. Terminal 2 is marked I and terminal 3 is marked S. When I jump 1 and 2 nothing happens, but if I jump 1 and 3 it will crank, which, being marked "S" seems to make sense since I guess that means starter and terminal 2 marked "I" would mean ignition? Plus I dont really know what happens with that "I" terminal, where does the current flow from/to?

Im kinda confused because for years I would just use a screwdriver to jump 1 and 2 and crank an engine to test it or set the dwell....IDK!
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:24 pm

Not all relays are marked the same,,,,but if there is an S it is for start,,,so it would be power from the wire that comes from the ignition switch when you turn the switch to Start,,,,,,and since the coil needs 12 volts to help fire the spark plugs faster, as soon as the relay gets power to the S terminal it connects the big battery terminal to the starter terminal as well as to the I terminal which sends some of that battery power to the positive side of the coil,,,,,so basically whenever the starter cable gets power, the I terminal also gets the same power,,,,the wire on the positive side of the coil also has the the 6 volt ballast resistor going to it,,,,, but,,,,,whenever the starter is cranking, the 12 volts coming out of the I terminal, overides the 6 volts at the coil,,,,,soon as you let go of the key and the engines runs,,,the relay shuts off and the 12 volts at the I terminal goes away and the coil and points run on 6 volts.......
    austinmodhouse
    austinmodhouse

Post by austinmodhouse Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:12 am

donnivan, I didn’t burn the van up… but almost. I went inside for a drink of water, came back out about ten mins later and smelled smoke. we have a high risk of wildfires here, they are no joke. so I anxiously followed my nose to a van filled with smoke.

for some reason, that is painfully unclear to me, the coil is hot even when the key is off, removed or whatever. I had to QUICKLY jump in and disconnect the battery cable. I’ve not (knowingly) moved any of the wires in the ignition circuit and it’s had a good battery in it for months, but all of the sudden… if I reconnect the battery, the coil starts a bubbling and sizzlin almost right away.

end result is, I’m not enjoying the tinkering and trouble shooting, especially knowing that the universal ignition switch was hastily wired and something has apparently gotten jostled loose or shorted. I have four old vehicles and two newer (expensive to maintain) that are also begging for attention. I have a vintage airstream I need to get back to, a house to build on some land out in the country (on the blanco river), and this house to maintain, along with a marriage, three kids, two dogs, a cat, pool of fish and a blog (photo-hobby)… I just don’t have the time or patience for this one. I’m sending it out, and very possibly selling it after it’s running once again. can’t win them all, I’m off to drink about it at the mardi gras. I have a box of stuffed moose and rats to throw at the people.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 09, 2024 8:54 am