VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+4
vanner68
chester42
Twinpilot001
DanTheVanMan
8 posters

V8-4bbl, Carb Gurgling?

DanTheVanMan
    DanTheVanMan
    Commissioner
    Commissioner

Number of posts : 7900
    Registration date : 2008-10-08

V8-4bbl,  Carb Gurgling? Empty V8-4bbl, Carb Gurgling?

Post by DanTheVanMan Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:19 am

OK, here's the deal. finally got everything bolted in this morning and decided I was going to cruz around the block. I've had the engine running dozens of times over the last two months. Even up an hour at a time after installing the new aluminum rad. To test the electric fan and alternating the RPM's with no issues at all. Super smooth and quiet.

So this morning I bolt in a seat and fire it up... Hmmm. Didn't want to start at first (Normally I just touch the starter and she fires right up). I shot of fuel in the carb and she fires right up but won't idle. Now if I choke it all the way she will start but won't run unless it's choked at least 3/4 closed. I took the cleaner off and can hear a very distinct gurgling in the carb....

Any suggestions? 1968 327(375hp) Edlebrock 4bbl(650 CFM)

Thanks,
    Dan

2004 Kawasaki KLR650
    1997 Jeep TJ Sport

My Mini Gallery

V8-4bbl,  Carb Gurgling? Qr_cod10

<-<-<- Cruising is not a "Point A to Point B" thing, but an "Everything in between thing!  <-<-<-
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

V8-4bbl,  Carb Gurgling? Empty Re: V8-4bbl, Carb Gurgling?

Post by Twinpilot001 Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:31 am

Come-on Dan?? Float level or-trash under beedle & seat? other than that =what kind carb?? electric fuel pump?
    DanTheVanMan
    DanTheVanMan
    Commissioner
    Commissioner

Post by DanTheVanMan Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:11 am

Kinda figured that! Just thought I'd ask just in case I was over looking something simple. The gurgling kinda puzzled me... Never heard that sound come out of a 4bbl! And I hate to split the carb again! Rolling Eyes

And the fact that it's one of those "It was running fine yesterday" things!!..

2004 Kawasaki KLR650
    1997 Jeep TJ Sport

My Mini Gallery

<-<-<- Cruising is not a "Point A to Point B" thing, but an "Everything in between thing!  <-<-<-
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Post by Twinpilot001 Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:41 am

Yes =happens & ive experienced that exactly - what ever carb u have - look under needle & seat area. Do u have any rubber lines on the van (fuel) -are they old or new? Possibility - in garage hanging around=in the south we used to get wasps building a mud / dirt nest even in 3/8 & 1/4 in hoses when new . here we get a spider that likes them too. even happens in metal tubing also. Fuel filters can also come apart inside (media) & cause same problems . Im guessing you have an edelbroc carb? hehe ? affraid
    DanTheVanMan
    DanTheVanMan
    Commissioner
    Commissioner

Post by DanTheVanMan Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:33 pm

Yep, she's a Edelbrock 9905 Performer 600-CFM... Rolling Eyes

When I started this thread a little while ago I was still trying to deny the obvious! I got the van all ready last night. Put the Seat, DH and tunnel in and said: “I’m going for a ride in the morning!” I was all excited!

And of course all this happened first thing this morning. It was more of a “NOW WTF?” moment!

So anyway, pulled it off and cracked her open. And couldn’t see anything that would cause any problems…
    Except maybe “ALL THIS CRAP FLOATING EVERYWHERE! affraid !” Damn! Razz Razz Had to laugh!!!!! Razz Razz
    Surprised this thing ran at all!

So, Anyway. Going to pull her completely apart tonight. Clean it up good and put her back on tomorrow morning and try it again!
    Guess all that sitting then running, then sitting for a few month and then running slowly did her in! Oh, well. A bath and a new kit and she'll be good as new!

V8-4bbl,  Carb Gurgling? Img_2063

V8-4bbl,  Carb Gurgling? Img_2064

Dan

2004 Kawasaki KLR650
    1997 Jeep TJ Sport

My Mini Gallery

chester42
    chester42

Number of posts : 1383
    Registration date : 2009-04-06

Post by chester42 Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:18 pm

Better check the fuel filters and mabe ad one coming out of tank. Looks like ethenol faze seperation to me. That crap is not good in any thing that sets any length of time.
    Good luck.
    Lester
    vanner68
    vanner68

Number of posts : 655
    Registration date : 2008-09-22

Post by vanner68 Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:40 pm

Who barfed in your carb?
    DanTheVanMan
    DanTheVanMan
    Commissioner
    Commissioner

Post by DanTheVanMan Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:26 pm

Ya ever had that "Coconut frosting" one a cake? It has that same constancy.. No damage to the carb, just this crap filled all the passages. A couple cans of carb cleaner and a spare rebuild kit (Which wasn't even needed) but what the hay, I had it apart!

She's all cleaned up and ready to be re-installed tomorrow morning!

Lester: I'm running it off a remote tank right now. The real tank is sitting on the shelf all shiny! Inside and out. Van has all new fuel lines elec. pump and canister fuel filter.
    The remote 4 gal tank is a steel tank with an inline elec. pump and filter as well and they are all clean as a whistle.
    Sure it all happened inside the carb while it was sitting on the stand or in the van sitting all summer. And yes, It was ethanol faze separation...... Guess I'll be running mostly Marine ethanol free fuel in this one! And stock up on "Phazer!".......

But she's all "Shiny" now too....

V8-4bbl,  Carb Gurgling? Img_2065

2004 Kawasaki KLR650
    1997 Jeep TJ Sport

My Mini Gallery

Digz
    Digz

Number of posts : 3794
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Post by Digz Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:31 pm

Hey Dan, What did ya use to clean the carb? Mine looks like a lump of gray crap.
    DanTheVanMan
    DanTheVanMan
    Commissioner
    Commissioner

Post by DanTheVanMan Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:46 pm

Just a couple of large cans of Gum-out carb cleaner. A wire brush set... 1-Steel, 1-Brass, 1-Nylon.

Just took it apart very carefully and cleaned every part as I removed them. Then pulled the jets, floats and valves out and reverse blew out the passages with the cleaner where ever possible. Used pipe-cleaners where ever possible. Also used a few strands of stainless wire and they really helped! They came clean pretty easy and used a small flat-tip to scrap the inner walls.

The accelerator plunger passage to the sprayers was kind of a bitch but it did finally spray out! Remove the sprayer head and reverse blow them out good as well.

I removed and sprayed-out and checked "every" passage, fuel and air to make sure everything was good and carefully put her back together. Made all the manual adjustments and she's ready to go back in!

The outside was already shiny! Can't help you there!! lol!

Dan

2004 Kawasaki KLR650
    1997 Jeep TJ Sport

My Mini Gallery

Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

V8-4bbl,  Carb Gurgling? Empty carbs

Post by Twinpilot001 Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:00 pm

just a suggestion?? get a Holly= the edelbrock carbs = materials will do exactly what ur experiencing. Theyre ok carbs yet i stay with hollys = look @ their site - as they are building with new materials to prevent what ur experiencing now.Just a suggestion.
    DanTheVanMan
    DanTheVanMan
    Commissioner
    Commissioner

Post by DanTheVanMan Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:58 pm

Holly is due to release their new "ethanol" friendly E85 compliant performance series next year. A company called "QUICK-FUEL" is already producing Holly based E85 performance carb that can handle ECO or Flex fuel grades up to 15% ethanol. They are pricy for sure but hopefully when Holly ,Weber and Edlebrock start releasing their new carbs the prices will all drop a bit.

Funny thing is TP.... I have a Holly sitting on the shelf as well and choose the Edlebrock because it was new in the box! Hahaha! Even at my age, I'm still attracted to "shiny things!" Razz

Dan

2004 Kawasaki KLR650
    1997 Jeep TJ Sport

My Mini Gallery

chester42
    chester42

Number of posts : 1383
    Registration date : 2009-04-06

Post by chester42 Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:12 pm

I have been using a product from BELL Labs that works well in ethenol fuels. No mater what make of carb, this crap will mess them up when they set for long periods. Saefoam will clean that crap very well if soaked in it.
    DanTheVanMan
    DanTheVanMan
    Commissioner
    Commissioner

Post by DanTheVanMan Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:39 pm

Ya know Lester. I use Seafoam in all four of my other vehicles once a year to blow all that crap out. And now that you mention it The guy did say something about adding it to each tank of gas to slow or stop the effects ethanol. Guess it makes sense that it would work well to clean with!

Dan

2004 Kawasaki KLR650
    1997 Jeep TJ Sport

My Mini Gallery

Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Post by Twinpilot001 Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:34 am

Ye3s -HaHa =shiny things -tahts why edelbrock sells the carbs-great in looks . I cut my teeth early on 14-15 ages on carter afb's - singles & 2-4's setups - early -mid 60's stuff. Later on when i was in the marine repair trades- mercruiser came out with the V-6 chevys in boats- veery one of them across the nation had a "fall flat on their face " proplem with the new "Weber " type afb copy that engine used. Not even any mercury marine engineer ( college educates) could figure that out. That carb was an exact (almost) copy of the old afb's. I had a engineer fly down from fond du lac wisc)merc territory) to see how i had modified the carbs to work. I actually had to take the weighte that allow the secondarys to open & grind off some weight back then . Engineer was amazed & said - we had calculated the weights over & over - it should be ok? Then i took him for a boat ride - problem gone !!. I have always felt better about tuning the Hollys & ease of repairing them- just due to not having to pull the whole top of the carb off & then finding the parts to tune the edels . Just seemed easier for me - therefore iv quit using any edels. its still the basic same carb that was used by gm in the 60's eras. When carbs were done away with - edelbroc bought the patents & started building them from the old carter company. I used to specialize in marine carn work -anything -singles & multiples . enjoyed all that . Get that Holly off the shelf & put that on!!
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Post by Twinpilot001 Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:40 am

here we get 10% ethanol whats amount u get there ?? also - get the chevron fuel system cleaner stuff.carbs & injectors - best u will ever use too. Thats the basic same stuff GM used to clean injectors also. Kills the corosion problems .
    vanner68
    vanner68

Number of posts : 655
    Registration date : 2008-09-22

Post by vanner68 Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:43 am

Main advantage to the AFB design is no fuel leakage from shrinking gaskets- something that always drove me nuts when I'd leave a Holley sit for a while...
    pan58head
    pan58head

Number of posts : 512
    Registration date : 2010-03-15

Post by pan58head Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:29 am

I use a product called startron, works the balls. That ethanol is some nasty stuff. I left fuel in my 64 after just cleaning the tank for 5 months the tank looked like i never cleaned it Bob
    DanTheVanMan
    DanTheVanMan
    Commissioner
    Commissioner

Post by DanTheVanMan Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:59 am

Twinpilot001 wrote:here we get 10% ethanol whats amount u get there ?? also - get the chevron fuel system cleaner stuff.carbs & injectors - best u will ever use too. Thats the basic same stuff GM used to clean injectors also. Kills the corosion problems .

Now that sounds like some good advice!!! Thx.TP It's 10% here at regular pumps and 15% at the Flex/Eco pumps...

2004 Kawasaki KLR650
    1997 Jeep TJ Sport

My Mini Gallery

Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Post by Twinpilot001 Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:15 am

Ok thx - here all we get is the 10% stuff - in past years now all ive ever noticed is the stuff effects rubber parts(fuel lines) and some walmart type filters . Ive now gone to a commercial Hose seller here in town & buy only fuel hose thats approved for alchoul based fuels-isnt really that more expensive. yet always i stay with napa parts other than that-Havent had any problems - I do also run a large Fram marine filter setup on all the vehicles i have=a big unit sold on ebay usually.
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Post by Twinpilot001 Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:19 am

Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Post by Twinpilot001 Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:22 am

Ill also add this filter will take a long time to ever stop up & actual filters are darn cheap to reasonable when u want to replace them. Also - I only use on any my Chevys & fords a filter for oil thats actually like a quart or more larger. Napa has these also & under the wix lable @ other parts stores - just ask the counter guy- & hope hes over 30 years old too!!
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Post by Twinpilot001 Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:36 am

Heres the NAPA #'s for 3/8 inlet =stainless & alu. filter7 bracket kits-18-7776-1 & 18-7775-1
    DanTheVanMan
    DanTheVanMan
    Commissioner
    Commissioner

Post by DanTheVanMan Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:13 am

Yep! Same ones I'm using now! Very Happy Got one of these for each van!!! And in the boat!

V8-4bbl,  Carb Gurgling? Img_0410

2004 Kawasaki KLR650
    1997 Jeep TJ Sport

My Mini Gallery

Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Post by Twinpilot001 Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:50 pm

looks like one from skip whites site?? Just for safetys sake - see what napa filter will fit it ?? Quality??

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:11 am