VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+3
RodStRace
Donn
vanner68
7 posters

buying on craidslist

buying on craidslist Empty buying on craidslist

Post by Guest Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:38 pm

Hey guys

Im buying a 66 sporty and and having it shipped from Seattle to Massachusetts.
    Im buying it off craigslist and was going to npay via pay pal.

Any suggestions to protect myself thanks
    vanner68
    vanner68

Number of posts : 655
    Registration date : 2008-09-22

buying on craidslist Empty Re: buying on craidslist

Post by vanner68 Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:11 pm

Wear a condom.

Oh- you meant the transaction.....
    Donn
    Donn

Number of posts : 692
    Registration date : 2009-04-05

Post by Donn Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:27 pm

You might be taking a chance, but I did close to the same thing. Seattle to NY, I had no problems and got a truck that was better then advertised . I called the guy spoke with him for a while, kind of got a feel for the type person he was..I would do it again...good luck
    RodStRace
    RodStRace

Number of posts : 3046
    Registration date : 2010-01-21

Post by RodStRace Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:33 pm

Protection is multifaceted.
    First, Does the seller seem trustworthy? Do you have enough contact and personal info to go after them if there is a problem? Have you done a name/business search to make sure you aren't the next in a long line of victims?

Next, do you have someone to independently inspect and verify the van? If it's a 50K vehicle, paying for a pro inspection makes sense. A used van on CL is usually not worth the money, even with a big transport bill looming. There usually isn't bargaining room to have the seller lower the price to cover faults and the inspection costs. Friends, family or asking a Vintage-Vans member to go look at, photograph, take notes and maybe even video it will at least give you more info than just what the seller provides. Also confirm the paperwork is in order.

Next is transfer of funds and paperwork. Usually the seller will send the paperwork (While still holding the vehicle), then you send the money (but have title to back up the money). The amount will determine the best action. For amounts under say 7K, you can transfer bank to bank. Some will open and close a new account for just this transaction to further protect from problems. For amounts over 10K, the banks will report to the IRS. This level may have been lowered recently. This will require a new level of agreement from both parties. Some also will have the transport company handle transfer of funds and picking up the paperwork. However, most economy transport will not offer this service or charge an amount that is not a realistic percentage.

So now you know what you are buying and have paid for the van. You should also have paperwork. Now, the seller has your van at his place and wants it gone ASAP so they are no longer responsible for it. Contact your insurance to find out about coverage once it's in your name.

There are many tales of woe about transport companies and the brokers. Research this and find someone you can trust.
    Common issues are missed pickups, dropping the vehicle at a local yard and exposing it to all sorts of damage, transporting it all over so the load pays, missed drop-offs, damage, holding the vehicle for a higher charge, and generally poor communication and care. Know what you are getting into!

Hopefully, you and the seller have a good rapport at this point. It is in both parties best interest to document the vehicle before and as it is being loaded. This can be very useful when you see your beauty the first time and notice things are not as described or shown in the sale pictures.

There will always be surprises, the point is to minimize the bad ones and have a plan to resolve them.
    neondv8
    neondv8

Number of posts : 278
    Registration date : 2012-04-04

Post by neondv8 Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:30 pm

I live in wa. I can go look at it for you if you need me to.
    Space Truckin
    Space Truckin

Number of posts : 1279
    Registration date : 2009-10-17

Post by Space Truckin Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:14 am

neondv8 wrote:I live in wa. I can go look at it for you if you need me to.
    or independent auto inspector at the very least 200-300 they will give you the good,bad and ugly . well worth the price Idea
    mbasaraba
    mbasaraba

Number of posts : 823
    Registration date : 2009-01-08

Post by mbasaraba Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:05 am

I bought my 64 from Seattle and had it shipped to Alabama.

The seller took pictures as it was being loaded and then the hauler did a walk around documenting any dings or scratches etc that the van had. Allowing the hauler to take some time to get here saved me about $1000. The van, as I was told, will not fit in a car hauler so it has to be on a flat bed trailer which jacks up the price a lot. Allowing the hauler to make stops for pick ups and drop offs saved me huge. If the van will not "Drive" onto the trailer look at least another $200-400 for loading and unloading.

The old boy that delivered it was great! I wish I still had his name so that you could contact him. I only have this one picture of the van on the trailer. I am not sure if he can be tracked down from his hauling info or not.

buying on craidslist Truck10

Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

Post by Twinpilot001 Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:03 am

[ijust shipped an econo to nothh of edmonton canada - went on back of standard car hauler = shipper was from montana that picked it up.

Post by Guest Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:34 pm

I did a deal through pics and phone calls in AZ. The van was nothing like the pics in the add, but on the bright side it had a brand new engine and a matching overdrive automatic. She new nothing about vans, but all in all it was a good deal.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 08, 2024 2:23 pm