VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

5 posters

POWER STEERING

JOHNFIELY
    JOHNFIELY

Number of posts : 124
    Registration date : 2012-08-30

POWER STEERING Empty POWER STEERING

Post by JOHNFIELY Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:21 am

I've never driven my 64 van yet but i was wandering how they steer? do they make a power steering box or does it even need one. i've noticed the theres not much to the steering linkage. i've always put power steering on my 62-65 novas. thanks john

Also if set up right do they ride good at 75mph.
    vanner68
    vanner68

Number of posts : 655
    Registration date : 2008-09-22

POWER STEERING Empty Re: POWER STEERING

Post by vanner68 Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:50 pm

They steer like an old truck. Stock steering wheel, stock wheels, not too bad if everything is in good shape and greased up. Small wheel and wide rims increase effort. No bolt on power steering kits for them.

'Ride good' is a relative term. it is 4 leaf springs after all. Not too bad but the 90" wheelbase can get a little 'bucking' going on certain roads.
    Digz
    Digz

Number of posts : 3794
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Post by Digz Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:14 pm

Is 75MPH even possible in a stock 64? Good springs and bushings and shocks and radial tires. Thats as good as it gets and thats not bad really. Like Greg says, keep the front tires not to wide and they turn easier. A simple trick is to try to be moving when you turn.
    m1dadio
    m1dadio
    Chevy Guru

Number of posts : 1778
    Registration date : 2008-10-06

Post by m1dadio Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:20 pm

when my 65 was stock I could get 54 mph floored for ten minutes on a down hill slop and that was probobly more work then landing the space shuttle.

If you want power stering it has been done several times. Its all fabrication work and about as much work as changing to a V8 with automatic trans.

M1d
    JOHNFIELY
    JOHNFIELY

Number of posts : 124
    Registration date : 2012-08-30

Post by JOHNFIELY Thu Sep 27, 2012 5:16 am

its already has a 283 in it but its coming out and rebuilt with a simple holly pro injection unit. the 350 tranny is just getting rebuilt with a 2.73 rear end. i travel the highways alot and want a good highway cruiser.
    Digz
    Digz

Number of posts : 3794
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Post by Digz Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:47 pm

Well that awwta do 75 mph no problem ,,lol I can run mine on the freeway at those speeds and handles fine. Im just not comfortable at that speed , but I'm running 4:11s with an Overdrive and still not as low of rpms you would be.
    m1dadio
    m1dadio
    Chevy Guru

Number of posts : 1778
    Registration date : 2008-10-06

Post by m1dadio Thu Sep 27, 2012 5:29 pm

Ya baby! I now have a fuel injected 305 and it just starts smoothening out and getting confertable around 65 to 80.

M1D
    Lazarusvan
    Lazarusvan

Number of posts : 1293
    Registration date : 2011-02-22

Post by Lazarusvan Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:38 pm

My '64 with 350/350 and stock rear end runs nicely at 70. That's fast enough for me. I'm happier a little slower, just cruisin as it gets pretty loud inside which is a biggger issue for me. It doesn't feel like it's going to blow up. I think for an old vehicle, she is pretty smooth down the road. Just take it easy on the bumps and holes..

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 08, 2024 1:44 am