VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+2
itruns
donivan65
6 posters

Power Steering

Power Steering Empty Power Steering

Post by Guest Fri Jul 25, 2008 11:41 am

I'm a new A100 Pickup owner. I'm looking for advice on adding power steering to my 1966 A100 pickup. Any ideas on where to start? Question
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Power Steering Empty Re: Power Steering

Post by donivan65 Fri Jul 25, 2008 12:44 pm

That was an option at least on the Dodge Vans. I would like to see some pictures of how the control valve ties into the system. This is a Ford system which relies on the movement of the pitman arm to divert the fluid to the ram which pushes or pulls the center link.

Power Steering Ford_p15
    itruns
    itruns

Number of posts : 1605
    Registration date : 2008-07-03

Post by itruns Fri Jul 25, 2008 1:56 pm

Congratulations on the pick-up.

Unfortunately, there are only a few conversions that I have heard of that work well. Hopefully Nate can give you some guidance.

The manual steering on these As doesn't require that much effort if the front end is in good condition.

Post by Guest Mon Aug 11, 2008 6:09 am

I recommend AGAINST the P/S. This was an option on the A-vans in 69 only on V8 automatics. My old TRAVCO Family Wagon had P/S. There is absolutely no road feel whatsoever and it felt like I was gonna drive off of the road. No problems with the system except leaks. I removed it and added a manual drag link and it steered 110% better.

Post by Guest Sat Jul 04, 2009 2:20 am

Hi all,
    Am new to this site having just bought a camper van in the UK. I would like to fit power steering to it along with disk brakes. I bought a kit from the states for the power steering but it came with a steering box that is going to be difficult to fit to the van. Does anyone know of a way round it using alternative parts or would anybody have the necessary parts required that they would be interested in selling?

Thanks,
    Pete
    67a 100 pickup
    67a 100 pickup

Number of posts : 1319
    Registration date : 2009-01-29

Post by 67a 100 pickup Fri Nov 13, 2009 2:17 pm

I need some input on power steering. My '69 wsds parts van has a complete system, Should I move it to my '67 pickup or just sell the whole setup to offset the price of the van??
    itruns
    itruns

Post by itruns Fri Nov 13, 2009 2:56 pm

Never seen one. Can you post some pics?
    67a 100 pickup
    67a 100 pickup

Post by 67a 100 pickup Fri Nov 13, 2009 4:19 pm

I'll put some pics up late tomorrow, I have to drop the belly pan first.
    a100terry
    a100terry

Number of posts : 45
    Registration date : 2008-10-02

Post by a100terry Sat Nov 14, 2009 1:40 am

Hi All. After running an Xplorer Campervan (a bit of a heavy beastie) for eight years without power steering and then fitting the factory power steering system, I've realised that the power steering suits the camper van. I only cruise at around 55 mph and at that speed, the lack of feel of the power steering doesn't really cause any problems. On the plus side, parking is much easier and its easier driving around town. This is particularly useful in England where one town seems to run straight into another one!
    However, I ran a pick-up for seven years and there is no way I would have fitted power steering to that. For starters it didn't need it and cruising it at higher speeds (which I did), could have resulted in it drifting around a lot.

Terry in the UK
    itruns
    itruns

Post by itruns Sat Nov 14, 2009 4:17 am

Thanks for the info Terry.
    benwah
    benwah

Number of posts : 1135
    Registration date : 2008-07-05

Post by benwah Sat Nov 14, 2009 4:57 am

67a 100 pickup wrote:I need some input on power steering. My '69 wsds parts van has a complete system, Should I move it to my '67 pickup or just sell the whole setup to offset the price of the van??
    Sell it! I actually had a system I was going to install on a 68 108 camp wagon I was restoring, Untill I drove a friends Explorer. Couldnt feel the road felt like I was on a flying carpet! Very scary didnt like it! So I sold it. If you want to install power steering, Try driveing someone elses first. make sure you like it. Depending where you sell it you will get a few hundred for it.
    67a 100 pickup
    67a 100 pickup

Post by 67a 100 pickup Sat Nov 14, 2009 5:40 pm

Thanks for the input, I'll get some pics of the system up here in the next couple of days before I pull it and put it on ebay. Have to go and help lay cement block again tomorrow at my brother-in-laws.
    67a 100 pickup
    67a 100 pickup

Post by 67a 100 pickup Tue Nov 17, 2009 3:03 pm

Here are the pics of the system.

Power Steering Dsc_0220
    lines run from the pump to a block on the draglink

Power Steering Dsc_0221
    and then to the steering assist cylinder
    itruns
    itruns

Post by itruns Tue Nov 17, 2009 3:35 pm

Thanks for the pics.

Never really understood how a normal power steering system works, much less an assist system. Does the block sense movement then feed the assist cylinder?

BTW - if the steering box (or even the worm gear assembly) is still good that would be worth some cash.
    67a 100 pickup
    67a 100 pickup

Post by 67a 100 pickup Tue Nov 17, 2009 3:59 pm

The steering gear box is good, this one is going in the pickup so I don't run the risk of screwing up the blue steering wheel and then I have to do some research on how to separate the gear box from the steering column. I have 2 spares that need to be taken apart, keep one and sell the other one.
    jkr
    jkr

Number of posts : 1148
    Registration date : 2008-05-29

Post by jkr Tue Nov 17, 2009 7:06 pm

the steering wheel is a friction fit to the top of the sector shaft of the gear assembly. it runs up from inside the box to where the wheel is on. a good wheel puller or a rocking motion back and forth will sometimes release the wheel from the shaft but a standard puller is the best. a lot of old steering gears were made in this fashion for whatever reason. possibly one less joint to wear out i guess. i have one spare left and the original one that was worn out. took it apart but nothing to save other than the case but i never threw any of it away. i'll try to post a pic wednesday after work. https://i.servimg.com/u/f88/14/28/55/02/copy_o11.jpg https://i.servimg.com/u/f88/14/28/55/02/copy_o15.jpg

Last edited by jkr on Wed Nov 18, 2009 4:59 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : picture added)
    67a 100 pickup
    67a 100 pickup

Post by 67a 100 pickup Thu Nov 19, 2009 3:54 pm

Man, good thing I asked. I thought it should come apart down at the bottom by the gear box, not way up at the steering wheel. I would've ruined a gear box for sure.
    jkr
    jkr

Post by jkr Thu Nov 19, 2009 7:09 pm

there an ugly cuss of a thing and not easy to get out. the tube has the "muffler style clamp" at the bottom and it will move with the help of a midsize hammer. then remove the floor plate and the rest of the attaching hardware and its out. since i started driving my truck in 2002 i am on my second gear. one worn out and broke the pinion in the other. keep a spare if at all possible.
    itruns
    itruns

Post by itruns Sat Nov 21, 2009 3:35 pm

FYI - Detailed blow-up of the steering box:

http://missiondetail.com/Carshowpics/gearbox.gif
    67a 100 pickup
    67a 100 pickup

Post by 67a 100 pickup Sat Nov 21, 2009 7:12 pm

It was pretty easy to get out and the pitman arm came right of with about 3 turns on the gear puller . I have been spraying it with PB Blaster for the last 2 days, the stuff is great, especially if you spray the bolts a day ahead of when you want to remove them. Thanks for the blow up.
    jkr
    jkr

Post by jkr Sat Nov 21, 2009 8:00 pm

actually the blow up is for the 1/2 ton gear and not the a-100 van. very close in most areas but still a little different in others. they were known as d-100 w-100 and a few others.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 07, 2024 9:25 am