VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

4 posters

power steering

jmr

Number of posts : 26
    Registration date : 2009-04-29

power steering Empty power steering

Post by jmr Sun Nov 29, 2009 12:16 am

My father, a loyal GM employee for 43 years doesn't believe that they never offered power steering as an option for the 2nd generation vans. So I bring this question to the experts. Was power steering an option? If not, has anybody put power steering in their vans?
    Thanks,
    Jeff

power steering Empty Re: power steering

Post by Guest Sun Nov 29, 2009 9:24 am

Never seen one, or heard of one either, at least not factory.

Yes, PS has been retrofitted.....if you do a search you will find alot of info on it.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Sun Nov 29, 2009 10:12 am

Two 2nd Gen Chevy Vans by me have been converted to Power Steering,,,,,,,,an EXTREMELY modified one out of an Astro van and a pretty good one out of a Mercury Monarch. And M1Dadio just built one for his 65. All those stories are on the site,,,,,,someone will find them and post them for you........
    jmr

Post by jmr Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:28 am

So someone with limited toolage and space probably shouldn't attempt it. What makes it so difficult to do? And Donivan, what would you charge to roadtrip to L.A. and do mine? Smile
    BvrWally
    BvrWally

Number of posts : 946
    Registration date : 2008-05-19

Post by BvrWally Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:55 am

donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:59 am

The problem is the control unit. You need a pump and you need a ram cylinder to do all the work by pushing and pulling on the steering linkage. BUT,,,,,a control unit has to go between the pump and cylinder to translate the movement of the steering wheel to the movement of the cylinder. Newer vehicles have that valve built into the steering steering box. But Vans don't have room for one and they are mounted backwards. You can cut the front end up and install a modern steering box. But here is the basic one that we have used,,,,,,I have 2 systems off Fords but I guess I am waiting for a real good reason to install it on mine. But that control unit is the problem,,,,,it needs 4 hoses to it and they have to be able to move back and forth. But we got a lot of repair information in our BETWEEN THE SEATS sections. Here is the latest,,,,,,M1Dadio modifies a Ford system, his way, to fit on his Van.

https://vintage-vans.forumotion.com/between-the-seats-g-f17/early-gm-power-steering-t3568-90.htm?sid=eae67f56e114a70ead2c9b0764e6a1f9

power steering Ford_p10

power steering Ford_p11

power steering Ford_p12
    jmr

Post by jmr Mon Nov 30, 2009 1:03 pm

My dad told me that GM uses an electric power steering system on new cars. This would eliminate the need for a power steering pump and belt.
    VANagain
    VANagain

Number of posts : 1046
    Registration date : 2008-05-16

Post by VANagain Mon Nov 30, 2009 7:49 pm

I remember cussing at the manual steering in my first van back in the 80's when I'd be parallel parking or something. When I got my blue van I was really thinking I needed to add power steering. Maybe I'd gotten too used to power steering in modern cars but this blue van was really a bitch to steer.

Then I drove a buddy's low mileage Sportvan and it turned as if it HAD power steering! I couldn't believe the difference. It was a pleasure to drive.

I ended up learning two cures for hard steering. First of all, he had normal, skinny tires up front and I was running 70's. And he had smooth, greased kingpins and bushings while I had dry, rusty ones!! Just greasing my front end helped a lot. And right now, on my current van, I'm installing brand new kingpins and looking forward to some easy steering! (I'm hoping I can use somewhat wide tires though!)

So I say, before you dive into an elaborate PS mod, make sure you're not fighting some worn out parts.
    jmr

Post by jmr Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:24 am

WOW, thanks guys for the information. This will give me plenty to think and read about.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 2:57 am