VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+5
dix
Exto
scarlin
RodStRace
Admin
9 posters

CHP needs some help to identify a Chevy "van"

Admin
    Admin
    Admin

Number of posts : 1731
    Registration date : 2008-05-01

CHP needs some help to identify a Chevy "van" Empty CHP needs some help to identify a Chevy "van"

Post by Admin Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:05 pm

Hello,

My name is Jonathan Collins, I am an Officer with the California Highway Patrol. I work out of the Otay Mesa Office performing VIN inspections on vehicles. I am in the process of inspecting this vehicle and was hoping you could help me in determining the MODEL and Engine type of this 1966 Chevrolet. I was able to locate the last 8 digits of the VIN. I need the model type and engine type to help rebuild the VIN. Actually any insight would be extremely helpful. I included some pictures to help. Feel free to pass this information along to anyone you feel might be helpful. The more information you can provide the better. Please email or call.

Thanks for the help

Jonathan Collins
    VIN Officer
    California Highway Patrol
    Otay Mesa Commercial Vehicle Inspection Facility.
    619-671-3000

CHP needs some help to identify a Chevy "van" 1966_c10
    CHP needs some help to identify a Chevy "van" 1966_c11
    CHP needs some help to identify a Chevy "van" 1966_c12
    CHP needs some help to identify a Chevy "van" 1966_c15
    CHP needs some help to identify a Chevy "van" 1966_c14
    CHP needs some help to identify a Chevy "van" 1966_c13
    RodStRace
    RodStRace

Number of posts : 3046
    Registration date : 2010-01-21

CHP needs some help to identify a Chevy "van" Empty Re: CHP needs some help to identify a Chevy "van"

Post by RodStRace Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:10 pm

Chebby, since you both asked nice, here's a wealth of info for you.
    That is referred to as a P Series Chassis. Probably a P-10 (small). Various manufacturers added the body. They are called Delivery vans or Step Vans.

This thread has a lot of talk about these (55 pages!), I wasn't able to come across a forum for these vehicles, which is strange, since there are forums for EVERYTHING! Laughing

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=282902

Best of luck tracking this down. I will assume that the vehicle is suspect somehow, hence the questions. I hope it can be verified and continue to live.
    Perhaps some further research on the body mfgers. like Gruman and Flxible might at least be able to determine that much and help guide further research.

Admin
    Admin
    Admin

CHP needs some help to identify a Chevy "van" Empty Re: CHP needs some help to identify a Chevy "van"

Post by Admin Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:15 pm

Thanks, I'll pass that on....
    RodStRace
    RodStRace

Post by RodStRace Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:24 pm

MORE
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multi-stop_truck

found a 65 on EBay that is for sale by these guys

http://vintagestepvans.com/

Kind of strange that they CHP doesn't have better resources for ID'ing even strange stuff like this. That's especially true down in Otay!
    scarlin
    scarlin

Number of posts : 258
    Registration date : 2012-01-25

Post by scarlin Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:15 pm

I Am not to far from the Grumman plant, they have had a few name changes over the years. Nothing like that came from here. The Amish in Elkhart IN did some weird stuff.
    Sam
    Exto
    Exto

Number of posts : 70
    Registration date : 2012-08-01

Post by Exto Thu Aug 16, 2012 5:12 pm

Back in those days it was fairly common for coach builders to buy a chassis and make their own bodies to suit customer needs. And they weren't always that picky about making sure the vin was attached in a way to ensure it would last as long as the vehicle. I'd start by checking the engine for any stampings the manufacturing date of the chassis could be derived from.

Admin
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Admin Fri Aug 17, 2012 2:15 pm

There is an emblem on the body that says "Apache". The body is made of fiberglass. From the pictures could you tell what type of engine is in the vehicle, V6, V8 283 etc

Jonathan Collins

scratch I can see it's an in-line 6 (why couldn't he?) but have no idea what engine size that would be

dix
    dix
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 8731
    Registration date : 2008-05-29

Post by dix Fri Aug 17, 2012 3:48 pm

that is a straite 6 clynder engine. i not sure a state trooper that reviews cars and trucks saftey inspections would ask a question like that.

Post by RodStRace Fri Aug 17, 2012 4:17 pm

I did a little more searching and it sure looks like a 292 not a 250.
    I gave the guy a call and we talked a bit. He has seen this thread and is working toward ID'ing this for the paperwork.

EDIT: I did call, and another person did answer CHP Office. Yes, that could be a ruse, but I didn't get that feel and they aren't asking for anything more than how to completely ID this vehicle.

Last edited by RodStRace on Fri Aug 17, 2012 4:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

Post by Twinpilot001 Fri Aug 17, 2012 4:28 pm

Anyone here called this trooper to verify he is for real??Id think the us athoritys that issue the MSO's=manfacture 's ststement of orgions certificates - to the actual manafacturers=would have that exact info cheers
    RodStRace
    RodStRace

Post by RodStRace Fri Aug 17, 2012 4:53 pm

Since I steered him here, I hope he will continue to monitor this.

http://www.stovebolt.com/techtips/#ID
    which has
    http://www.stovebolt.com/techtips/VIN.htm
    unfortunatly, that does not have 66 info.

But I did find this there!!!
    http://www.stovebolt.com/gallery/carson_don_1966_01.htm

Checking for that name found this picture
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/wildbearphotos/3045994429/

another forum thread on them...
    http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?s=2ffa6d3c5592e839ba2009a6b4f8cde9&t=350956

and a video
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AdXzYIu6r5k&feature=plcp
    Admin
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Admin Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:00 am

Thanks for your help Rod! Very Happy
    andrew carter
    andrew carter

Number of posts : 465
    Registration date : 2011-09-04

Post by andrew carter Sat Aug 18, 2012 1:14 pm

never trust a badge it always ends badly
    mikeysly
    mikeysly

Number of posts : 284
    Registration date : 2012-05-29

Post by mikeysly Sat Aug 18, 2012 8:10 pm

you know it! hopefully this won't end badly for us at least
    DanTheVanMan
    DanTheVanMan
    Commissioner
    Commissioner

Number of posts : 7900
    Registration date : 2008-10-08

Post by DanTheVanMan Sat Aug 18, 2012 8:30 pm

It's a 1955 Chevy (second series) chassis, with an American Body Works body. The body is fiberglass on the front, has steel ribs covered with aluminum for the top and sides, and a wood floor in back.

Dan

2004 Kawasaki KLR650
    1997 Jeep TJ Sport

My Mini Gallery

CHP needs some help to identify a Chevy "van" Qr_cod10

<-<-<- Cruising is not a "Point A to Point B" thing, but an "Everything in between thing!  <-<-<-

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 17, 2024 1:35 am