VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

4 posters

Temp and Fuel gauge wiring problem

Temp and Fuel gauge wiring problem Empty Temp and Fuel gauge wiring problem

Post by Guest Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:45 am

The ignition switch was replaced with a universal ignition switch by the previous owner. The gauges work if you disconnect the coil wire, (so it will not start) After cranking the engine over in the start positon the gauges read correctly Once the switch returns to the On\run position, the needles return to the off position. I tried to remove one wire at a time off the ignition switch to isolate the gauges. I could not find the correct wire. Can I make a jumper wire to the relay behind the speedometer. Also are the instrument cluster lights connected to the gauges, because I do not have instrument lights when I have the headlights on.
    Thanks!

Ken

Lights bulbs and fuses are working unless I missed one
    sasktrini
    sasktrini

Number of posts : 2067
    Registration date : 2008-05-20

Temp and Fuel gauge wiring problem Empty Re: Temp and Fuel gauge wiring problem

Post by sasktrini Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:04 am

I was able to buy a replacement Ford Ignition switch up here. Maybe they have a difference because the voltage of the ignition systems were different with the old generators... why they had ballast resistors in the old cars.

Or you could try another coil.

Someone will probably post a diagram, but it may help if you post the year of your Econoline. Do a search of the Between the Seats 'E', as wiring diagrams have been posted many times.

Good luck.

Temp and Fuel gauge wiring problem Empty 1965 Econoline

Post by Guest Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:54 am

All the wiring is stock except the ingnition switch. Just when you turn over the motor the gauges work. If someone can give me the color wire combinations to go to each post. There are four post on the universal ignition switch. the three smaller post are Ign., Acc., I do not remember the thrid small post abrev.... ???, and the large center post. I,ve looked at the wire diagram before and some of the color are not the same.
    66e100pu
    66e100pu

Number of posts : 199
    Registration date : 2011-04-02

Post by 66e100pu Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:09 am

I don't have the wiring diagram colors off the top of my head, but the problem might be that the power feed for the gauges was run off the "start" post of the ignition switch. In order for the gauges to have power in the "on" or "run" position, the feed has to be taken off the larger center post of the ignition switch. That will provide 12v in both the "run" and "acc." position.
    Jazontyler
    Jazontyler

Number of posts : 56
    Registration date : 2011-12-29

Post by Jazontyler Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:07 pm

It does sound like you gauges are getting their power from the ignition hot wire and not the switched "acc" supply.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:08 pm

Looking at a 66 wiring schematic, I see 4 terminals on the switch,,,,,A- has a thick #297 Black wire with a green stripe on it (Fuel and Temp) and a # 98 Black (alt light-volt reg) on it,,,,,,,B- #21 is yellow from battery,,,,,C- #30d is a thin black with green stripe (oil light) and #16 red with green stripe (to coil),,,,S-#32 is red with blue stripe (to starter relay),,,,,so seems to me move # 297 from S to A

Temp and Fuel gauge wiring problem Empty Thanks Guys

Post by Guest Sat Mar 17, 2012 12:27 am

Thanks Guys for the info

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 12:07 pm