VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

5 posters

wiring to coil

Snubnose 38
    Snubnose 38

Number of posts : 18
    Registration date : 2012-02-10

wiring to coil Empty wiring to coil

Post by Snubnose 38 Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:04 pm

69 230 inline six does not have round coil has square coil with four prong clip red & brown wires from distributor to coil, yellow wire from coil to starter motor should there be a wire to the fourth prong because when i start the van it fires right up but when you let go of the key it dies theres one green wire not hook up but by the wiring diagram it goes to the temp switch i touch it to a hot wire and a bulb in the dash lit up , in the wiring diagram on the round coil it shows a pink with the yellow? any help would be great!
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

wiring to coil Empty Re: wiring to coil

Post by donivan65 Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:13 pm

Seems to me that someone has installed a 1st edition HEI unit in the van,so the quick answer is hook a wire from the pink wire in the connector under the drivers seat to the R terminal on the starter solenoid to power up the coil,,,,,did this run OK before or just start having a problem,,,,,,the round coil uses a white/orange/purple wire that cuts the voltage down,,,,but you need 12 volts for the HEI,,,,,that other terminal on the coil is for the Tach,,,,,
    kykayaker37
    kykayaker37

Number of posts : 139
    Registration date : 2012-02-15

Post by kykayaker37 Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:17 pm

u just fixed my prob to donivan thanks,dave
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:25 pm

Here are the stock types of distributors in Chevy/GMC vans

wiring to coil 3_dist13

Snubnose 38
    Snubnose 38

wiring to coil Empty coil wiring

Post by Snubnose 38 Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:05 pm

yes 1st gen HEI,yellow wire is on R post, purple wire is on S post on starter motor ,runs when key is starter pos. stops in run pos.have not had it running yet myself last guy says he started it from time to time?
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:24 pm

The coil needs 12 volts,,,the R terminal on the solenoids job is to send 12 volts to the coil through the yellow wire ONLY to help start the engine, and ONLY while the starter is cranking,,,then the PINK wire takes over,,,,so where is that PINK wire,,,,is it still hooked to the White/Orange/Purple wire,,,,,,is it just hanging there,,,,did they add another fresh wire fire up the coil,,,,,IS THIS A NEW OR OLD PROBLEM,,,,,did it run OK before or has this happened because someone put that HEI unit in it,,,,the R terminal needs 2 wires on it,,,,,,the yellow and another one from the ignition switch or one from the pink one under the drivers seat,,,,you can't use the white/orange/purple one,,,,,,you need to connect a wire from the R terminal to the pink right BEFORE it connects to the white/orange/purple one under the drivers seat or find a wire that is hanging around that someone already has changed,,,,,or maybe they never got around to changing the wire yet,,,,,
    HandiVanMan
    HandiVanMan

Number of posts : 1868
    Registration date : 2010-04-11

Post by HandiVanMan Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:21 pm

Don,
    My 65 Chevy parts van has a HEI distributor in the 230 6cyl engine I think that it is a 2nd edition if I recall correctly. Will it work in my 250 6cyl endine? If so which one would you recommend that I use? The one with points or the HEI distributor?
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:36 pm

HEI is the way to go,,,,millions of them out there on all GM cars and trucks with 194,230, 250 and 292 engines,,,,,,where are you going to go for parts if your Petronix gives up? All those 3 distributers are the same,,,,,each one is an improvement over the older edition,,,,,,points are always rubbing on the shaft,,,,every .001 worn off the rubbing block retards your timing by 1 degree,,,,so your engine is basically retarding its timing everytime you start the engine,,,,points can't run on 12 volts,,,they burn out,,,,so you need a ballast resistor to cut the voltage down to 6 volts,,,,and that cuts down the spark out of the coil,,,,,,I have nothing good to say about points,,,,,
    HandiVanMan
    HandiVanMan

Number of posts : 1868
    Registration date : 2010-04-11

Post by HandiVanMan Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:43 pm

Yea I don't really like points either. It had been sitting since 2004 when I got it & I had to adjust on them to get it to start firing. I think that I will pull the HEI distributor out of the 230 engine & put it iny 250 engine. Thanks
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:02 pm

And here are things to fine tune them there HEI distributors,,,,,,

wiring to coil Dist_c10
    Snubnose 38
    Snubnose 38

Post by Snubnose 38 Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:53 pm

donivan65 thanks, ran a jumper wire from pink wire at the ignition switch to starter motor yellow wire fired right up, know i have to do it right i get some new wire and hook it up thanks again for the help! ps. they was no new wires anywhere to be find are old ones ,dont know how it ran for the last guy?
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

Post by Twinpilot001 Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:13 pm

Ill jump in here as I am a points man - The problems with using points are usually =owner related- no grease on cam for points to lube off of- quality point sets not chosen to use , condenser never changed when point sets are,specs never set with a dwell meter. many other owner created problems & the old point type distributors get the blame.Not trying to step on anyones toes/choices- Ive been stranded on the road with ignition problems before - with HEI type dist's before - no auto parts close for the module& here i am -When im having a problem on the road with a set of points thats worn(rarely for me) i always can get something to scrape teh point set that allows me to at LEAST get to a parts source and buy that points set.I will add- I installed a "Hays" ignition electronic points elimanator in my vette in 1975 - still in there & working great!- This was before the days of pertronix and most all other HEI sources/distributors. The one thing I will attest to on all solid state ignition products is this(from great experience) -when you charge that battery/ make sure that ignition key is =OFF! best to completely disconnect that battery when charging and assure that key is off- why?? due only to having cranked the battery down- trying to start the vehicle & then grabbibg the battery charger and "shock loading the electrical system , when that charger is attached & used. For what its worth- i cut my teeth on learning the early CD ignitions that came out in 1967 on up & ive seen it all -I still like my points type distributors . Yes- the Hotter spart from HEI sometimes is necessary for those high compression engines & turboed stuff. Yet ill add - most dont remember when we had engines with 10-11-1 compression ratios, making over 1HP per cube & still using the point type distributors - . again to each his own on this choice too -Happy vannin to all
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:19 pm

He probably ran a jumper wire from the big terminal on the solenoid to the R terminal right next to it to run the engine,,,,,or used the White/Orange/Purple 6 volt wire to the R terminal,,,,,you need to find that wire if the pink wire is still hooked up to it in the connector,,,,it could short out if it is hanging loose around the starter area,,,,,but if you cut the pink THEN ran a new wire to it, you are OK,,,,,you don't want that pink wire sending juice to the doghouse if you don't know where it is going,,,,,

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:52 am