VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+2
donivan65
rhysaccess
6 posters

Van running like a pig - suggestions?

rhysaccess
    rhysaccess

Number of posts : 103
    Registration date : 2010-02-07

Van running like a pig - suggestions? Empty Van running like a pig - suggestions?

Post by rhysaccess Fri Dec 24, 2010 5:06 pm

Howdy all,

The '63 van (with the 200 motor) is misbehaving.

While fine when cold, before too long it starts missing, dies, runs, then ultimately splutters to a stop.

While it behaves a little like it's running out of fuel - I think the problem is ignition. (instant start/stop, choke doesn't affect it etc).

New points, plugs, coil & condensor. Heaps of fuel. Compression good. New air filter. Fuel filter old (but seems ok) Fuel tank condition unknown.

Currently I'm suspecting the coil feed line and/or the in line resistor.......has anyone else had a similar fault that traced back to a wiring loom issue in the Econolines?

I'm currently holliday-ing in New York....so I plan to play with the van when I get back home to Australia in mid January.

Thanks & regards,
    Rhys

Van running like a pig - suggestions? Empty Re: Van running like a pig - suggestions?

Post by Guest Fri Dec 24, 2010 5:33 pm

mine did that and it was the gas cap. I did a complete tuneup,rebuilt the carb,checked all the wires and it ended up being a bad gas cap
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Van running like a pig - suggestions? Empty Re: Van running like a pig - suggestions?

Post by donivan65 Fri Dec 24, 2010 6:28 pm

I would be checking the primary wires on the coil, put a voltmeter on the Positive side of the coil and see if you are losing voltage through the ignition switch, Ballast resistor and wiring. The Negative side of the coil could be a problem too,,,,,,,if the points lose their ground because of a loose breaker plate, the coil quits working also. So put a dwell meter on the Negative side of the coil and see if the reading changes, especially when the vacuum advance is activated to move the breaker plate. If you got a vacuum advance on that distributor and a vacuum pump, apply vacuum to the advance unit at idle, and see if the engine dies instead of speeding up.......

Post by Guest Sun Dec 26, 2010 5:36 pm

my van ran like a pig until i switched to tires. if you know anyone who needs a set of goodyear pig legs with 80% hoof remaining... let me know
    Digz
    Digz

Number of posts : 3794
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Post by Digz Mon Dec 27, 2010 4:52 am

All else fails Id go back to the fuel system. filters and screens can plug and then sort of flush themselves out "after" it quits to be able to start and run again, It would act like the gas cap problem Mike is talking about. Its suprising how much stuff gets knocked loose after you have run them for a bit and is just floating around. Auto trannys can do the same thing if they have been laying around awhile before reinstalling them.
    slowflapper
    slowflapper

Number of posts : 956
    Registration date : 2010-07-29

Post by slowflapper Mon Dec 27, 2010 8:39 am

Digz wrote:All else fails Id go back to the fuel system. filters and screens can plug and then sort of flush themselves out "after" it quits to be able to start and run again, It would act like the gas cap problem Mike is talking about. Its suprising how much stuff gets knocked loose after you have run them for a bit and is just floating around. Auto trannys can do the same thing if they have been laying around awhile before reinstalling them.

Good advice.

At one point my van would start and run fine, if you got going down the road it would start sputtering and quit after about a mile. Turned out there was so much trash in the tank. lines and rear filter it could get enough gas to get going (and idle) and then run out going down the road. I figured it out by putting clear filters before and behind the (electric) fuel pump, when it died I jumped out and looked underneath and the filters were empty but slowly filling.... I ended up vatting the tank and replacing all the lines and fixed it up.
    Old Skool
    Econoline Guru

Number of posts : 1306
    Registration date : 2009-06-13

Post by Old Skool Mon Dec 27, 2010 10:19 pm

I was thinking the same thing, if I suspect a fuel problem I pour gas down the carb to start it, if it runs and then dies out, its at least a fuel problem if not more, if I can continue pouring fuel down the carb and KEEP it running its for sure a fuel problem, from there, it can go all the way back to a gas cap, but only a gas cap if the vent line is plugged. The vent line goes back into the frame from underneath, so even if you had your hand over the filler, it should not create a vacume in the tank and fuel starve the fuel pump and carb.
    I always use a Dwell meter, it tells me exactly what the points are set at, no guessing and going on with wasting time if not correct. The hot side should be about 8 volts, and the ground side of the coil simply goes to ground using the points as a switching device. I would suspect fuel firstly, in my opinion...
    vic
    vic
    rhysaccess
    rhysaccess

Post by rhysaccess Sun Jan 02, 2011 5:29 pm

Thanks for the suggestions by all.

I'll be back in Australia on January the 18th - and I'll try a few of the recomendations......and report back.

Regards,

Rhys
    rhysaccess
    rhysaccess

Post by rhysaccess Sun Mar 06, 2011 4:22 am

Howdy all,

I stripped all componants from the front wiring loom and tidied it up a bit. Disconnected the stereo and central locking poorly installed by the PO.

Put everything back together and.....presto - problem gone.

Don't know what it was (but I suspect those badly installed accessories).

Regards,
    Rhys
    rhysaccess
    rhysaccess

Post by rhysaccess Tue Mar 15, 2011 5:35 am

Howdy all,

Damn problem returned..........and with a vengance.

Not happy. Spending too much time by the side of the road - on what are bloody hot days in this part of the world.

Replaced the high tension lead from between the coil and distributor cap. Viola'......the van runs like a champion.

Regards to all,

Rhys

Post by Guest Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:19 pm

Glad you got it figured out.
    rhysaccess
    rhysaccess

Post by rhysaccess Sat Jul 02, 2011 7:42 am

Howdy all,

Well it wasn't fixed.

And it continued to misbehave, only occasionally, when I least expected it........and at the least convenient time.

Each new repair resulted in a temporary fix - making me think the intermittent problem had gone. (but it hadn't). As it was always well behaved when it was cold, and more often than not when it was warm......it was "getting on my tits".

Went for a drive today, exact same problem returned - but sooner than normal. Fed power to coil direct....worked well for 5 minutes then died. And stayed dead.

Problem? - Dead fuel pump.

Profanities exchanged, indulged in some moderate self loathing, pump replaced - now working well

But I've thought that before...............

Regards,
    Rhys
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

Van running like a pig - suggestions? Empty coil??

Post by Twinpilot001 Sat Jul 02, 2011 8:02 am

Change That=COIL!! new only! if its still dead??= Remove the + wire feeding that coil & make sure you have power 12v there??

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:02 pm