VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+2
kookykrispy
redsockss
6 posters

Bought a 66 any suggestions?

redsockss
    redsockss

Number of posts : 123
    Registration date : 2010-06-03

Bought a 66 any suggestions? Empty Bought a 66 any suggestions?

Post by redsockss Thu Jun 10, 2010 11:28 pm

Re: Changing an inline 6 to a crate 350
     by redsockss Today at 11:23 pm

I bought this van...... Any suggestions on what to do to it besides bead blast it paint seat and wheels? http://phoenix.craigslist.org/wvl/cto/1761604667.html
    kookykrispy
    kookykrispy

Number of posts : 1533
    Registration date : 2009-05-22

Bought a 66 any suggestions? Empty Re: Bought a 66 any suggestions?

Post by kookykrispy Fri Jun 11, 2010 12:03 am

I recommend looking at the brakes, changing the fluid to DOT 5 (so it doesn't rust in the system), rebuilding the suspension.

That is a nice clean van. I hope you keep it clean and don't do anything goofy. Its fun to dream of a v8, but there is nothing wrong with a good reliable inline six!!

Post by Guest Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:26 pm

good looking van. i love my 230 6cyl 3spd in my van, ive had fast and real fast cars and trucks, built all kinds of them. i just dig my van like it is. kooky is right check it all over see what it needs, maybe drive it for awhile before you make the big changes, you may decide you dont want to change a thing.
    G-Force
    G-Force

Number of posts : 56
    Registration date : 2010-04-02

Post by G-Force Fri Jun 11, 2010 3:55 pm

Nice! Drive that 6 for a while. Get a good plan together for the 8. Do alot of reading here to see what the others have been through. Enjoy the hell outta that van. She's a beaut!

Post by Guest Fri Jun 11, 2010 8:25 pm

My 250/6 has no problems moving my 65, and its stock. Like G-Force says, take your time and have a good solid plan for the swap.
    redsockss
    redsockss

Post by redsockss Sun Jun 13, 2010 7:54 am

Thanks for the advice. I haven't seen the van but sent it to a real high end body shop in Phoenix called Deano's. He couldn't believe how clean it is. Not a speck of rust. Anyway, he's going to bead blast it and inside and out and get her painted. I'm going to send the bumpers out to get chromed and buy all new seals for the entire van I guess. Ohya, and get some Cragar SS wheels. What is the LARGEST size I can put on her, anyone know?
    G-Force
    G-Force

Number of posts : 56
    Registration date : 2010-04-02

Post by G-Force Sun Jun 13, 2010 12:35 pm

Clueless on the Max size. But very curious as to what is on it now. Those things look pretty boss. -John
    m1dadio
    m1dadio
    Chevy Guru

Number of posts : 1778
    Registration date : 2008-10-06

Post by m1dadio Sun Jun 13, 2010 5:11 pm

If you are going to buy wheels, plan on what brakes you intend to have first before picking wheel size. Lots of wheel sizes fit the drum brakes but wont fit disc brakes.

M1D
    redsockss
    redsockss

Post by redsockss Sun Jun 13, 2010 5:20 pm

ugh
    redsockss
    redsockss

Post by redsockss Sun Jun 13, 2010 5:24 pm

The wheels are not perfect according to the seller and I'm kind of a freak. I need everything perfect. I don't commute to work. So, this is going to be my driver. I want it to brand new as possible.
    ChevyVanMan1

Number of posts : 425
    Registration date : 2009-07-19

Bought a 66 any suggestions? Empty Congrats...

Post by ChevyVanMan1 Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:47 am

on the van. Getting a rust free one is certainly a great thing. Really makes anything else you do worthwhile. I'm used to underpowered VW busses so a straight 6 in a light van is like a hotrod to me. Also, unless you add to the brakes stopping a V8 with all the stupid drivers of today seems a little wild to me. And, since the suspension is something close to a buckboard carriage (Conastoga Wagon?) having a lot of performance seems like overkill. Anyway, just my 2 cents.
    64Handivan
    64Handivan

Number of posts : 72
    Registration date : 2008-11-14

Post by 64Handivan Tue Jun 15, 2010 3:30 pm

Sweet little van... Welcome aboard. Cool
    kookykrispy
    kookykrispy

Post by kookykrispy Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:57 pm

For Cragar s/s wheels, we are kind of limited because they only are available in a few backspacing options, so unfortunately we are not able to get the 'perfect' wheel fitment with the Cragars... but hell yeah, they look sweet so nice choice! I'm getting together a set of Cragars for my van right now... so this is the info I have as far as max/best/largest/fattest wheel/tire size:

I would say max wheel/tire size is 15 x 8 rears with 4.25" backspacing 275/60r15 if you want the tires taller and also to tuck neatly under the fender or 295/50r15 if you want it fatter (you will have about 1/2" sticking out beyond the fender with the 50 series, but I like the way that looks because the tire is nice and fat, totally ol skool). Just be willing to wash your van alot because the wider tires throw a little mud and crap up on the body. Don't worry about fender-tire contact because it will never happen with stock suspension unless you load a ton of crap in the back of your van. I'm running 295's out back right now and I have never had the tires come close to contacting the fenders, even with the van fully loaded with all the gear for our band. (about 1000 lbs)

run 15 x 7 up front with 4.125" backspacing 215/65r15 if you don't want to trim/roll the front fender lip. If you don't mind trimming or rolling just the very bottom of the front edge of the wheel opening, you can run a 235/60r15. Just keep in mind the wider tire you run in the front, the harder it is to steer at low speed.
    redsockss
    redsockss

Post by redsockss Wed Jun 16, 2010 12:02 am

Thanks for the info. I may have to be careful with wide. I will have my bike in the back often and that's about 800 lbs.
    kookykrispy
    kookykrispy

Post by kookykrispy Wed Jun 16, 2010 12:09 am

redsockss wrote:Thanks for the info. I may have to be careful with wide. I will have my bike in the back often and that's about 800 lbs.

Unless you are lowered, you can run 295's no problem. I've had 1000 lbs of gear in the back and nowhere close to touching the tires. The pic below: 15 x 8 with 295/50 rear, 15 x 7 with 215/65 front

Bought a 66 any suggestions? DSC06993
    redsockss
    redsockss

Post by redsockss Wed Jun 16, 2010 12:18 am

Love the look, that's what I'm going to get with Cragars.. Thanks a ton.

I think I'm about done with what I'm going to do with her on the outside/mechanics.

I am in the van conversion business f new vans so the inside will be solid trick.

I'm going to put a hardwood floor on the inside with a motorcycle ramp that mounts under it. I can then open the back doors, lift the hinge and pull out the ramp. I'm going to thinsulate the interior for super quiet. sound. Then the walls will be done in ultra suede. Of course, a kick butt sound system. I will be using JL with 2 amps a a 12" sub and about 8 other speakers. A flip TV of course, and that should do it.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 3:05 pm