VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+11
uncle ron
vanner68
chester42
pan58head
DanTheVanMan
mbasaraba
Scott
m1dadio
Lyrad
donivan65
Vanish
15 posters

Steering Drag Link ???

Vanish
    Vanish
    Admin

Number of posts : 5155
    Registration date : 2008-05-02

adjustable drg link - Steering Drag Link ???  Empty Steering Drag Link ???

Post by Vanish Sat Mar 03, 2012 4:33 pm

I was wondering if the streeing Drag Link is the same on First and second Gens ?????

donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

adjustable drg link - Steering Drag Link ???  Empty Re: Steering Drag Link ???

Post by donivan65 Sat Mar 03, 2012 5:07 pm

NOPE,,,,,,the rear ball joint is 180 degrees out and that means different steering knuckles,,,,,,
    Lyrad
    Lyrad

Number of posts : 277
    Registration date : 2011-01-20

Post by Lyrad Sun Oct 21, 2012 5:42 pm

Help!! anyone know of a source for drag links or ideas on custom or aftermarket ones. Mine shet the bed. 1969 G10
    adjustable drg link - Steering Drag Link ???  01010
    m1dadio
    m1dadio
    Chevy Guru

Number of posts : 1778
    Registration date : 2008-10-06

Post by m1dadio Sun Oct 21, 2012 9:59 pm

Well its actually a repair of your drag link that becomes adjustable.

adjustable drg link - Steering Drag Link ???  Tie_ro10

You get a Moog ES409L tie rod end which appearantly fits GM Van , PU, Suberbon, Blazer (1/2 and 3/4 ton) from 71-96. This is the only tie rod I have found with the correct taper pin demensions.

and the sleeve that goes with it Moog ES20004S.

you keep the best end of your Darg link and cut it off at the correct length. Turn it down if need be to the right diameter (I think its close as it is) and Dye cut an 11/16 - 18 right hand thread onto it. The tie rod is left hand thread and the sleave of course is both.

or bring it to a local machine shop.

When installed you just turn the sleeve to leghten or shorten the drag link.

Its important that your steering box be centered when you drive straight. The center has an area where the gear gets tighter in the b ox, this is to promote straight line stability. If the box gear is off to one side a bit and the truck wanders; the correction input to the steering wheel will be tighter one way and even looser the other which makes for alot of stressful highway driving. And the van will usually wander mostly to the loose side.

M1d
    Scott
    Scott

Number of posts : 1651
    Registration date : 2008-05-20

Post by Scott Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:03 pm

Rock Auto used to have new ones pretty cheap, but I have a used one you can have that was pulled from a 67.

It was a spare, but I bought a Rock Auto spare a few years ago, so your welcome to my old spare for the cost of shipping.

If your interested shoot me a PM with your address, I'll get it together and let you know what shipping will cost. I can also send you some pics if you want to see it first.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:26 pm

Time will come where all the Drag links wear out and no new ones will be available, so this set up of M1D's will probably be the way to go,,,,,I don't know about all that sleevin and threadin,,,,a piece of pipe welded between the new tie rod and the other end of the drag link would get the job done also,,,,,and at about $10 for a tie rod, not a bad price,,,,,and it will work for both 1st and 2nd Gens......

adjustable drg link - Steering Drag Link ???  Repair2881

adjustable drg link - Steering Drag Link ???  Drgg
    mbasaraba
    mbasaraba

Number of posts : 823
    Registration date : 2009-01-08

Post by mbasaraba Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:23 am

I was worried about this myself but will most likely go with this method. This repairs one end but not the other. I have been thinking of just taking a small piece of pipe and taping both ends. Does one end need to be left handed threads and the other right handed or is that dependent on the tie rod end you buy?
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:48 am

That tie rod has left handed threads,,,that sleeve has left handed threads AND right handed threads in it so when you turn it it ADJUSTS,,,,same types threads would just MOVE the sleeve, not adjust the tie rods,,,And if you are cutting new threads, it would be harder to find a left hand die, so thats why this set up works,,,,,HOWEVER,,,that adjustability seems like a lot of extra work,,,,it would hard to adjust it accurately anyways,,,,so thats why by sliding a piece of pipe over the tie rod and drag link end and weld it would be easier,,,,,,but either way works,,,,,and you could put tie rods on both ends if your drag link was totally worn out,,,,,,,,I guess if you just got a piece of threaded rod, you could build a drag link in a few minutes with 2 sleeves and 2 tie rods......
    DanTheVanMan
    DanTheVanMan
    Commissioner
    Commissioner

Number of posts : 7900
    Registration date : 2008-10-08

Post by DanTheVanMan Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:23 pm

I took a different approach when I moved my front axle back 2" to get it centered in the wheel well for my bigger wheels.

They require more maintenance. But hey, This is a Gasser! Not the family truckster!

adjustable drg link - Steering Drag Link ???  Img_0415

adjustable drg link - Steering Drag Link ???  Img_0416

adjustable drg link - Steering Drag Link ???  Img_0417

2004 Kawasaki KLR650
    1997 Jeep TJ Sport

My Mini Gallery

adjustable drg link - Steering Drag Link ???  Qr_cod10

<-<-<- Cruising is not a "Point A to Point B" thing, but an "Everything in between thing!  <-<-<-
    Lyrad
    Lyrad

Number of posts : 277
    Registration date : 2011-01-20

Post by Lyrad Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:36 pm

Hi Guys, Those are some great idea's. Very creative Dan.

I want to first continue my search for a new or custom one. Having a new or almost new factory one is my first choice. I dont want a cut up screwed together look. Its all about the look to me.

What if I was to take two tie rod ends, a solid rod and weld them together then grind and finish it. Would it be solid enough, what are your thoughts?
    pan58head
    pan58head

Number of posts : 512
    Registration date : 2010-03-15

Post by pan58head Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:26 am

M1dadio, got a message into moog about getting a es409l possible made with right hand threads, lets keep your fingers crossed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Bob
    pan58head
    pan58head

Post by pan58head Fri Oct 26, 2012 5:14 pm

m1dadio, moog sent me back an email with phone number to call, which they never seem to be there. But I think I have found a pair of tie rod ends that will work please check them out and see what you think. All of the dimensions are within .002-.004 of the es409l, the only thing that is small is the tie rod side(is 5/8 not 11/16 no big deal). The tie rod numbers are Es358r and es358l, these are moog numbers. They are used on 65-70 2wd 3/4 chevy trucks. I'm going to try to call moog first part of the week and get some better dimensions. Bob, yes I'm tired of looking a tie rod charts!!!!!!!
    m1dadio
    m1dadio
    Chevy Guru

Post by m1dadio Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:31 pm

I can imagine you are tiered of it allready, its hard work doing that kind of research asn't it.

I don't need a drag link.

I recomend you take those moog numbers to the NAPA site and look up thier demensions and decide for yourself if it is what you need.

Did you ask the moog people about a drag link replacement for the van? Maybe they have a part number for one?

m1d
    pan58head
    pan58head

Post by pan58head Sat Oct 27, 2012 5:56 pm

m1d I tried at my local napa, they would have to special order there replacement, so order it and I own it. I'm going to call moog first of the week. Bob
    m1dadio
    m1dadio
    Chevy Guru

Post by m1dadio Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:45 am

Did you get a part number from your local napa guy?

M1d
    chester42
    chester42

Number of posts : 1383
    Registration date : 2009-04-06

Post by chester42 Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:53 am

Michell, I purchased a link from a second gen. and cut it- rotated 180* and welded it, then beat the hell out of it with a sledge. Didn't break, so I am good with it.
    vanner68
    vanner68

Number of posts : 655
    Registration date : 2008-09-22

Post by vanner68 Sun Oct 28, 2012 4:48 pm

Anybody thinking of welding a drag link should check with their state's vehicle code. Michigan expressly forbids welded drag links on street driven vehicles.

(4) Notwithstanding subsection (2), a person shall not operate a motor vehicle having lift blocks between the front axle and springs, or with lift blocks that exceed 4 inches in height between the rear axle and springs in addition to those provided by the original manufacturer. Any body lift block shall be of single piece construction and shall not use more than a 3-inch spacer. Any suspension lift block shall use an alignment pin between the axle and the spring, and shall be of single piece construction. Spring shackle replacements shall not exceed the original equipment manufacture length by more than 2 inches, and coil spring spacers are prohibited. All steering components shall be geometrically arranged to function as original equipment manufacture. Welded pitman arms, drag links, and tie rods are prohibited. All parts used to modify the original suspension or height of a motor vehicle shall be factory manufactured and shall meet or exceed the original manufacturer's specifications.

This is in the section of the vehicle code pertaining to lift laws, but welded components applies to all vehicles.
    pan58head
    pan58head

Post by pan58head Sun Oct 28, 2012 5:46 pm

Md1 Yeah napa gave there cross reference 2692175, 2692174. I can get these throught moog for about $25.00 each.

Chester I was thinking the same thing but cut in half and thread each end and use a tie rod sleeve to attach them

Vanner 68, yeah this is why I'm going through all of the work, Could just use a bar and welded a couple tie rods to it. Here in nh, they frown on welded steering parts for good reason. Thank god most of my buddies have off road rock buggies now, because when we where younger we built some scary sh%t for the street. Luckily we never killed any one.

Bob
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Sun Oct 28, 2012 6:48 pm

Then make it like a center link,,,,tap threads in a pipe, put a lock nut on the tie rod and screw it in,,,,

adjustable drg link - Steering Drag Link ???  Chevy194
    chester42
    chester42

Post by chester42 Sun Oct 28, 2012 7:27 pm

Florida is one of the most lax states as for safty , no state vehical inspection. Some of the pick-up are lifted 12 or more inches plus way over size tires. I'm more than confident in my drage link as I was a welder for many years. The mig wire we used was all 70,000 PSI stength. As I said , I beat the daylights out of it with a sledge hamer at the splice and had no seperationin the weld. I am more than confident in the link.
    vanner68
    vanner68

Number of posts : 655
    Registration date : 2008-09-22

Post by vanner68 Sun Oct 28, 2012 7:32 pm

chester42 wrote:Florida is one of the most lax states as for safty , no state vehical inspection. Some of the pick-up are lifted 12 or more inches plus way over size tires. I'm more than confident in my drage link as I was a welder for many years. The mig wire we used was all 70,000 PSI stength. As I said , I beat the daylights out of it with a sledge hamer at the splice and had no seperationin the weld. I am more than confident in the link.

Michigan has no safety inspections either, but if you are in an accident and the investigation uncovers a welded steering component, even if it did not fail you are in a world of legal hurt.....

Remember- lawyers run things, not common sense.
    chester42
    chester42

Post by chester42 Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:19 am

1040 on the vulchers (AKA lawers ). My splice is not detectable . Thanks for the input on state laws.
    Scott
    Scott

Post by Scott Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:21 am

I ordered my spare from RockAuto.com back in April 2010. They were clearing them out cheap, so I grabbed one.

I just pulled the part numbers from the box.

The part # listed on the packing list is,

TRW P/N: 1436 DS887

The information on the box is,

Federal Mogul
    TRW
    DS887
    Drag Link & End

04496462120SF
    Scott
    Scott

Post by Scott Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:33 am

I just found this on Rock Auto..

It says Center Link, but it's the same part number as my Drag Link, and it's only $32. It also shows that they have seven in stock.

adjustable drg link - Steering Drag Link ???  Screen30

adjustable drg link - Steering Drag Link ???  Screen30
    uncle ron
    uncle ron

Number of posts : 91
    Registration date : 2012-05-31

adjustable drg link - Steering Drag Link ???  Empty steering drag link

Post by uncle ron Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:33 pm

ordered a center link from rock auto earlier this year, what I received was a drag link, cost was around $30.00

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 06, 2024 11:32 pm