VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+2
sasktrini
Vantastic
6 posters

OH man do I need some advise!

Vantastic
    Vantastic

Number of posts : 290
    Registration date : 2011-02-28

OH man do I need some advise! Empty OH man do I need some advise!

Post by Vantastic Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:01 pm

Oh man do I need advise!! Getting blow by, I have oil all over the engine, it runs good but that can't be good. Im going to have my buddy look at it but... How much is a new engine?? I have a 170 in it now and if I do have to replace the engine I want to go bigger and I really want to how much it's going to cost.
    Thanks Fellas
    Tim
    sasktrini
    sasktrini

Number of posts : 2067
    Registration date : 2008-05-20

OH man do I need some advise! Empty Re: OH man do I need some advise!

Post by sasktrini Sat Feb 11, 2012 2:30 am

Been there. Few factors.

1) No Emissions except a draft tube that vents toward the bottom of the block on the drvers side. A few of us have converted that system to use a PCV valve system so that the fumes are reburned.
    2) Valve seals need replacing... not a hard job if you can remove rocker arms and valve springs.
    3) Unfortunately, your head (valve guides) are probably worn which would warrant having the head serviced.

But if oil is all over the engine, sounds like you may just need head gasket. Do you see lots of fumes (particularly at low idle)? If so, that's likely valve seals. PCV helps to because at a stop, there is no vacuum to suck fumes (that cause sludge) in the block through the draft tube, where PCV used manifold vacuum.

I would find out from a machine shop how much to get head serviced.
    66ThunderVan
    66ThunderVan

Number of posts : 384
    Registration date : 2012-01-08

Post by 66ThunderVan Sun Feb 12, 2012 7:16 am

Like Corey said, the valve seals are probably part of the sludge in the engine by now. Those old seals get hard and break up into little pieces that feel like broken rock. More times than not they plug up the oil pick up and starve the engine for oil.
    But as far as the blow by issue,whatever vent system you have , it is more than likely plugged or not working. This will plug the crankcase and blow oil. If the engine is not blowing lots of blue smoke, chances are, the engine is OK. Being from So. Cal., I presume you may have some type of emissions junk on your engine. If you have a PCV valve start by replacing it and clean/ replace all the hoses and grommets and make sure they seal so the system can pull a good vacuum in the crankcase.
    Start with the easy/cheap stuff first. Many people think that the worst/ most expensive/ stuff has happened when most of the time it is something simple.
    A good starting point would be to clean the engine with degreaser and look for the leak. If it dosen't show up at idle take it for a short drive and check again.
    Good luck and I hope it is something simple!,
    Chris
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

Post by Twinpilot001 Sun Feb 12, 2012 8:56 am

Ill add = both above posts are great advice.Also - from experience- hard knox type too= Id not only look into leaking gasket & valve job & seals,guides worn and such-but- do an actual Leakdown test (not just a compression test) so you can determine piston rings blow buy(sealing), Many times -just a gasket & guide work & seals (valev job) will only have one shown =piston rings worn & need replacing -to a complete rebuild on the motor? With experience= and ill add =the old types gas & oils we burned/used many years ago =only lent to a engine being good for 70,000-100,000. miles useage. Now -we can get usually 150-250,000 if we just care to it a little better. Oils & fuels are cleaner & better that we've ever had. Here - in our columns - we dont know the current mileage on the engine?? and if was rebuilt before & how actually -it was rebuilt? Piece mealed out or complete from a reptuable builder?? I personally = always just do a good complete rebuild on all mine now-unless I know the exact history & what ive done to it before. Goodluck & Happy vannin
    Vantastic
    Vantastic

Number of posts : 290
    Registration date : 2011-02-28

Post by Vantastic Sun Feb 12, 2012 7:47 pm

Twinpilot001 wrote:Ill add = both above posts are great advice.Also - from experience- hard knox type too= Id not only look into leaking gasket & valve job & seals,guides worn and such-but- do an actual Leakdown test (not just a compression test) so you can determine piston rings blow buy(sealing), Many times -just a gasket & guide work & seals (valev job) will only have one shown =piston rings worn & need replacing -to a complete rebuild on the motor? With experience= and ill add =the old types gas & oils we burned/used many years ago =only lent to a engine being good for 70,000-100,000. miles useage. Now -we can get usually 150-250,000 if we just care to it a little better. Oils & fuels are cleaner & better that we've ever had. Here - in our columns - we dont know the current mileage on the engine?? and if was rebuilt before & how actually -it was rebuilt? Piece mealed out or complete from a reptuable builder?? I personally = always just do a good complete rebuild on all mine now-unless I know the exact history & what ive done to it before. Goodluck & Happy vannin
    BAMM! Did the the leak down test and 1-4 are leaking by...According to my buddy Leak by = Rebuild!!
    Old Skool
    Econoline Guru

Number of posts : 1306
    Registration date : 2009-06-13

Post by Old Skool Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:18 pm

A leaky head gasket will leak water outside the motor or across and into an oil jacket or across into two cylinders, but not leak oil all over the outside.
    Valve guide seals affect the amount of oil getting past the valve stems, and into the cylinders, fouling a plug, but not going all over the outside of the motor.
    BAD OR WORN OUT RINGS will cause excessive internal pressure to blow oil out and all over the engine. A PCV valve will help suck out some of the excess pressure, but will not solve worn out rings.
    I would suggest a nice little 200, they are a very snappy little motor and run really well. If you do look for one, get a later year one with a larger intake manifold on the head, the later ones are rectangular looking and have a 1 3/4" carb hole for the larger carb.
    I would bet if there is that much oil going all over the place that if it isn't the valve cover gasket that the rings are toast..
    vic
    HandiVanMan
    HandiVanMan

Number of posts : 1868
    Registration date : 2010-04-11

Post by HandiVanMan Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:13 pm

I have had engines with the same problem that you are having with yours & there was 2 culprits that caused them. One engine that I had had a hole in the piston & the other ones had a broke compression ring.
    Old Skool
    Econoline Guru

Post by Old Skool Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:16 pm

There you go,, internal pressure too much from toasted rings and or piston,, a hole in one will do it every time,,, LOL..
    vic
    HandiVanMan
    HandiVanMan

Number of posts : 1868
    Registration date : 2010-04-11

Post by HandiVanMan Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:11 am

Yes and as long as the other ring is good most of the time there will be no smoke. The pressure going into the crank case has to go somewhere so it usually blows out of the valve covers. I had a vermeer stump grinder that had a broke ring on one of the pistons & it built up so much pressure inside the crank case that it would blow the oil cap & dip stick out of it when cranked up. I believe that Vic's diagnosis could probaly be your problem.

Last edited by HandiVanMan on Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:47 am; edited 1 time in total
    sasktrini
    sasktrini

Number of posts : 2067
    Registration date : 2008-05-20

Post by sasktrini Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:51 am

Man, I wish I had a Vic in my garage... because I try to understand and explain and troubleshoot, but Vic gets it and explains stuff so well! He knows which tree to bark up, while I have to run around a few of them first!
    Old Skool
    Econoline Guru

Post by Old Skool Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:02 am

Corey, and the bunch. It makes all the time and effort worth it when people make your day like that,,,
    THANK YOU..
    vic

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:06 pm