VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

5 posters

Air cleaner gap? please advise

Bobert
    Bobert

Number of posts : 21
    Registration date : 2015-04-04

Air cleaner gap? please advise Empty Air cleaner gap? please advise

Post by Bobert Tue May 05, 2015 4:05 pm

Ok so I got a little air cleaner front the parts store to get me by till I find a better one. I put it on and it fit but there was a gap below it, seems like if air can flow in without going through the filter it defeats the purpose, am I right or is this fine. Here is a pic of the gap.Air cleaner gap? please advise 20150505_175229
    thanks in advance
    Space Truckin
    Space Truckin

Number of posts : 1278
    Registration date : 2009-10-17

Air cleaner gap? please advise Empty Re: Air cleaner gap? please advise

Post by Space Truckin Tue May 05, 2015 4:35 pm

NO, measure the diameter of carb, and go out and get the correct air filter with the right diameter
    Bobert
    Bobert

Post by Bobert Thu May 07, 2015 4:08 am

Alright, I returned that cleaner, but none of the parts places in town seem to have one that will fit, anyone on here who doesn't use the stock setup can you point me at what you are using to keep it running smooth?

Also I measured mine and looks like the diameter is maybe 2.75, so it's just a hair bigger than the one I originally bought.
    Vantasia
    Vantasia

Number of posts : 1412
    Registration date : 2013-08-18

Post by Vantasia Thu May 07, 2015 4:18 am

What kind of carb do you have? I think Carters YF's are larger than Rochesters and Hollies, I have an old one that fits a Rochester and it measures 2-5/8", not sure they make a small one like that that will fit a Carter but you can make an adapter or in a pinch use some stick on high temp foil ductwork tape and a hose clamp to hold it on and seal it, but DO NOT run your engine without one, a backfire can ignite the doghouse lid insulation on fire if you have the old dirty oil soaked original stuff in there, I know been there and done that, toasted up a whole van back in the day doing this. Look on eBay, there are probably cleaners with an adjustable base available, but larger diameters hit the doghouse lid
    64chevy
    64chevy

Number of posts : 364
    Registration date : 2008-05-18

Post by 64chevy Thu May 07, 2015 7:24 am

I've used this one on Carter YF's, Rochester B's, and Rochester MV's with no problem.

http://www.autozone.com/intake-system/custom-air-cleaner/spectre-air-cleaner-assembly/228329_0_0/

Air cleaner gap? please advise <a href=Air cleaner gap? please advise 411" />
    Vantasia
    Vantasia

Post by Vantasia Thu May 07, 2015 8:05 am

OK, I did some checking for you....the small hot rod type air cleaners like above have 2-5/8" base mounts.  The Carter? YF or whatever it is like in your picture is about 2.75"!  You can simply buy one of those K&N type filters like this that has a 2.75 inside bottom flange:
    http://www.carid.com/injen-intakes/high-performance-air-filter-mpn-x-1010-br.html?gclid=CNmW9dnyr8UCFQQWHwod50wAtQ
    But it may be too tall for the doghouse to close, either find a stock filter or make an adapter from some duct pipe, a larger hose clamp or a few tin cans, etc, be creative!
    Bobert
    Bobert

Post by Bobert Thu May 07, 2015 11:47 am

I'm assuming this is the original carb, other wise not really sure about the type. This is all the writing that is on it

Air cleaner gap? please advise 20150507_133955

Yeah, If I can't find something to fit I feel confident in my ability to make something to make it fit. I just want to give it my best shot at finding the best that I can first, I don't want to do this sloppy.
    kookykrispy
    kookykrispy

Number of posts : 1533
    Registration date : 2009-05-22

Post by kookykrispy Thu May 07, 2015 1:52 pm

Hmm, its a monojet, but it may not be original. The top is unusual and might indicate the carb is off something older. Can you please post more pics of this carb? I've used these little air cleaners many times on my vans, on monojet carbs too. I suspect you might have an oddball carb there.
    64chevy
    64chevy

Number of posts : 364
    Registration date : 2008-05-18

Post by 64chevy Thu May 07, 2015 5:44 pm

All my carbs measure 2.6 " on the outside of the throat. So that 2.75 is definitely weird.
    Vantasia
    Vantasia

Post by Vantasia Fri May 08, 2015 4:04 am

Yes agree, maybe it was for an oil bath air cleaner and had a different top throat?  I do know the Carters are larger than than the GM's but he clearly has a GM carb. Bobert, next time you host a picture, reduce the size to the 640 option in the dropdown box so we see it full width, the quality will be the same. Kooky, click his pic and then look at his next pic showing the top at his host. You sure that air cleaner you bought is not for an older 2" throat carb used on older hot rods? They make them in two sizes or they have a pop out spacer ring so they fit either size.
    Bobert
    Bobert

Post by Bobert Fri May 08, 2015 12:52 pm

Alright here are some more pics. Sorry about the quality, clearly I'm not meant to be a photographer.

Air cleaner gap? please advise 20150510

Air cleaner gap? please advise 20150511

Air cleaner gap? please advise 20150512

Air cleaner gap? please advise 20150513

Air cleaner gap? please advise 20150514

Air cleaner gap? please advise 20150515

As you can see the air cleaner fits on, until it its the neck part, which seems to be the exact same size as the cleaner. It saide it would fit up to a 2 5/8 inch carb so mine is clearly a hair bigger. I tried to measure as precise as I could and its 2 19/32 inches. I don't know how much any of this helps, but I hope its something at least.
    kookykrispy
    kookykrispy

Number of posts : 1533
    Registration date : 2009-05-22

Post by kookykrispy Fri May 08, 2015 8:29 pm

Here is a complete original air cleaner setup for sale

http://www.vcvc.org/showthread.php/26432-F-S-1st-gen-air-cleaner-complete
    Bobert
    Bobert

Post by Bobert Sat May 09, 2015 2:24 am

Thanks! Very Happy
    Vantasia
    Vantasia

Post by Vantasia Thu May 14, 2015 7:48 am

You are missing the "bridge" plate that goes across the top of the carb to mount the center stud on. It screws into the two holes inside the rim. Easy to find new or used, here's what it looks like:
    http://www.carburetor-parts.com/Rochester-Monojet-Remanufactured-Carburetor_p_3122.html

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:32 pm