VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

5 posters

Fuel tank vent?

Stoopid john
    Stoopid john

Number of posts : 265
    Registration date : 2011-06-03

Fuel tank vent? Empty Fuel tank vent?

Post by Stoopid john Sun Jan 15, 2012 8:44 am

From day one with my van, i've had a fuel smell at the tank. It had a large dent and small hole in the bottom. I had the tank fixed months ago and last weekend i replaced the vent? hose from the top/side of the tank to the fill pipe. The smell was almost gone and i found the cheap locking gas cap was not sealing very well. I went to napa and picked up a 703-1221 cap. I filled it up and the smell was gone, all good until this morning. I found a puddle under the tank from the sending unit not sealing to the tank. I removed the cap and the tank had ALOT of pressure in it.

What am i missing here?? Do i need to add a vent or different cap? Or is the pressure fine and i just need to re-seal the sending unit.

thanks

john
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Fuel tank vent? Empty Re: Fuel tank vent?

Post by donivan65 Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:18 am

The pressure needs to come out of the tank,,,,,so IF there is no hose on that tank to let the air out, you need a VENTED gas cap and all caps now are the NON VENTED types and they use a charcoal cannister to vent that pressure build up in the tank,,,,
    Stoopid john
    Stoopid john

Post by Stoopid john Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:59 am

The cap has a spring loaded vent, but it must take alot to open it. I took some wire to stick open the vent and it seems to do the trick. At least this way it won't build up pressure and it's sealed from rain.

I just wanted to make sure i wasn't missing something.

I guess i could put a fitting in the filler neck (up high) and install a used charcoal canister from another car.

john
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Sun Jan 15, 2012 11:14 am

Napa says that gas cap is a vented one,,,,,,so maybe it was stuck and you opened it,,,,,is the fuel line too close to the exhaust system or is the tail pipe too close to the tank and its heat is building up pressure?
    maybe the fuel pump is back feeding pressure to the tank,,,I guess you could undo the inlet to the fuel pump and see if the tank still leaks on its own,,,,,so this is just some ideas,,,,,it could just be the sender gasket,,,,,but there should not be any pressure in that tank,,,,,and does this happen after the van has had time to cool off after driving it,,,,,,
    itruns
    itruns

Number of posts : 1605
    Registration date : 2008-07-03

Post by itruns Sun Jan 15, 2012 11:56 am

May want to make sure the vent line isn't blocked. Mine was kinked as it made it's upward bend.
    Digz
    Digz

Number of posts : 3794
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Post by Digz Sun Jan 15, 2012 12:28 pm

I was just thinking these things have to be an open vent and not spring loaded ,, that would be for rollover protection wouldn't it?
    Fuel tank vent? A100_f10
    Stoopid john
    Stoopid john

Post by Stoopid john Sun Jan 15, 2012 12:33 pm

The vans been in the garage all weekend. It's building the pressure just sitting there. The vent is a straight shot from the tank to fill pipe and it's 1/2 inch hose.

I'll go find a charcoal canister and add a vent to it. All that (any) pressure can't be good for a 45 year old already fixed tank!! LOL

It could very well be a rollover valve. Your picture looks like what i have and by that, how would it vent unless it uses the cap. Unless somewhere else on the tank, that i don't see.

Digz
    Digz

Number of posts : 3794
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Post by Digz Sun Jan 15, 2012 12:41 pm

yep, thats all there is ,, the chevys are the same way for the most of them, gas cap does little more than keep the dirt and water out.
    Stoopid john
    Stoopid john

Post by Stoopid john Sun Jan 15, 2012 12:43 pm

LOL

thanks guys
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Sun Jan 15, 2012 12:55 pm

And the cap also has to have a vacuum break on it to let air in after the pressure is released,,,,,and it does not seem right that the cap is spring loaded,,,,,maybe you fixed it by opening it,,,,it could of never been opened before and after sitting there for many years it don't feel like moving much,,,, and if pressure is building up in the tank, that surely is raising the pressure at the needle and seat and could be richening up your mixture,,,,,,,that small line on the filler neck is just for the air to get out while you are filling the tank,,,,,,some vehicles did have a hidden hose near the top of the tank, sometimes tucked into the frame to release any pressure build up,,,,but letting gas fumes escape into our air aint good anyways, so a vapor cannister would capture the fumes and burn it in the engine,,,,,,
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

Post by Twinpilot001 Sun Jan 15, 2012 3:21 pm

Pull the gas pipe- check the vent/ overflow hose=pipe- with Compressed air - remember - you may have a vented type gas cap that isnt venting good - drill a small hole thru gasket & cap into area just under the top - it will ven good then.or u can drill a small hole in top area on gas pipe also just under the cap sealing arae - doesnt take a hole larger that a .030 dia .

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 12, 2024 2:10 am