VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+3
cl350rr
61econoline
Vanish
7 posters

The Dog House ....

Vanish
    Vanish
    Admin

Number of posts : 5155
    Registration date : 2008-05-02

The Dog House ....  Empty The Dog House ....

Post by Vanish Mon Nov 14, 2011 5:07 pm

I was wondering about .. what to do with the Dog House ... There aint one !!!! as you can see ...

The Dog House ....  048-vi

The Van Came with a 351 Cleveland .. and Got the can opener Job on the Floor ... Should I try to Find a Big six Dog House for it .. The taller one ??? I also have a second gen Chevy Dog House . I could Try to to Fab to it .. The Chevy has a Bigger Radiator and surge tank .... Compared to the small Down flow Ford radiator ... WHAT DO YOU THINK ???? THANKS' .. any input on this would be great !!!!!!

61econoline
    61econoline

Number of posts : 655
    Registration date : 2009-04-16

The Dog House ....  Empty Re: The Dog House ....

Post by 61econoline Mon Nov 14, 2011 5:15 pm

never done it myself but have read of others using the chevy doghouse. you already have one so i suggest using it.unless you are going for a resto or stock appearance.
    Vanish
    Vanish
    Admin

Post by Vanish Mon Nov 14, 2011 5:17 pm

Nothing stock about this one !!!! You wouldent have any Pictures of that ??? or thred Link ?? I cant find eiather !!!!!!

cl350rr
    cl350rr

Number of posts : 287
    Registration date : 2011-07-31

Post by cl350rr Mon Nov 14, 2011 5:21 pm

don't know about the doghouse but I wish my floors looked as good as the rest of yours.
    Digz
    Digz

Number of posts : 3794
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Post by Digz Mon Nov 14, 2011 5:25 pm

I dont know what all you have to work with , but what about just building a DH? Being up so high you can put the Rad about anywhere in there and get seats to fit anywhere ya please.
    Vanish
    Vanish
    Admin

Post by Vanish Mon Nov 14, 2011 5:28 pm

cl350rr wrote:don't know about the doghouse but I wish my floors looked as good as the rest of yours.

Thanks' That's about the Nicest Part of the Van .. The rest need Lots of work .. and when I Look at it sometimes it can be Overwhelming .. So I just concentrate on one Little thing at a time ... it will get there !!!!!

Vanish
    Vanish
    Admin

Post by Vanish Mon Nov 14, 2011 5:33 pm

Digz .... That Might be a way to go as well ... But I am No Metal Man .. That's for sure !!!!!

pan58head
    pan58head

Number of posts : 512
    Registration date : 2010-03-15

Post by pan58head Mon Nov 14, 2011 5:46 pm

Vanish, check out the dodge doghouses also they are pretty tall and wide. I'm going to try one in my 64 handi, 2nd gen doghouse are like hens teeth in new england
    cl350rr
    cl350rr

Number of posts : 287
    Registration date : 2011-07-31

Post by cl350rr Mon Nov 14, 2011 5:53 pm

Vanish wrote:Thanks' That's about the Nicest Part of the Van .. The rest need Lots of work .. and when I Look at it sometimes it can be Overwhelming .. So I just concentrate on one Little thing at a time ... it will get there !!!!!

if it gets too overwelming just let me know and I'll send you a few pics of mine in it's current condition. that should cheer you up
    EconoUSAparts
    EconoUSAparts

Number of posts : 2198

Post by EconoUSAparts Mon Nov 14, 2011 6:30 pm

Use the Chevy doghouse. The Ford lid fits it as a bonus. If you cut out the floor about a 1/4 inch from the inner frame rail lip on the underside its a perfect fit. The 1/4 inch you leave allows you to leave the factory welds on the lip. I cut mine to the edge and didnt leave lip and had to weld it afterwards. In hindsight,leaving a small lip is probably better.
    Another perk is you can use the Chevy brake assembly if you want since it has a metal handle which isnt prone to breaking like the Ford. Use the Chevy crossflow radiator for better cooling also. The only other mod you may need is to divert the brake cable either under the lower radiator mount or thru it since the Chevy radiator is wider and takes the space of where the cable would normally run to the side. I would leave the 2 triangle braces next to the stock radiator until you decide if you need to use any of the holes in them for routing things. If not needed,just cut em out for more room to work.
    As far as the Dodge doghouse goes, I sold one to Kris in Ohio(member here)and his install is Super clean using it. Hopefully he will unveil it to the public this coming year. The Dodge is nice since the sides come off easily whereas the Chevy is one whole piece.
    Vanish
    Vanish
    Admin

Post by Vanish Mon Nov 14, 2011 6:34 pm

THANKS' Tim ... Tim I was wondering ?? what are the two Holes for in the Floor on the Drivers side ..?? Like I said Before .. the van was already Cut up real Bad before I got it !!!!!

econopoor
    econopoor
    Econoline Guru

Number of posts : 1747
    Registration date : 2010-04-18

Post by econopoor Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:14 pm

I have been working on a solution to this problem. So far I've come up with a sort of hybird box. I used the Chevy sides with the front and rear from the Ford. Of course you are already past using the Ford rear. The Ford lid doesn't fit well on the Chevy box. It's close but not very tight. I had to shorten the lenght of the Chevy sides about an inch. That's what the seam is on the sides near the rear corners. Fred Carello said the Chevy sides need to be chopped about an inch as well to get the seats to sit level. I still have to go back and do that to this box. I'm still working on it and have a way to go. It's a real pain to cut and weld one like this. The metal gets very thin in the corners where it's been stretched. I keep blowing thru this one with my welder. I'm planning on chopping the whole box down about an inch. I also plan on making the sides removable for easy engine access. Just some ideas.

The Dog House ....  Mytrucks099-vi

The Dog House ....  Mytrucks098-vi

Duane in Tennessee.
    EconoUSAparts
    EconoUSAparts

Number of posts : 2198

Post by EconoUSAparts Tue Nov 15, 2011 3:35 am

Keeping in mind that the 65-67 seats are thinner and the brackets themself sit lower,its not really necessary to "chop" the sides by an inch on a 61-64 model,*IF* a spacer on the drivers side wheel well doesnt bother you. You could use a half inch spacer on the well and another between the seats and the tracks. You might even be able to modify an early track to fit the thinner late(65-67) seat and not use any spacer at all. I thought this idea up after I already chopped my whole doghouse by an inch. It really depends on what seats you are gonna use.
    A bonus to the CHEVY box also is that its longer so it may cover up where someone else has butchered up the rear hump area. The downside to this is you cant use it in a pickup without shortening it.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 16, 2024 11:01 pm