VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

5 posters

clutch slipping only in 3rd?

gh0st
    gh0st

Number of posts : 50
    Registration date : 2011-07-25

clutch slipping only in 3rd? Empty clutch slipping only in 3rd?

Post by gh0st Mon Oct 24, 2011 1:10 pm

have a quick question: '61 econo panel, later model 200 swapped in at some point, 3.03 trans (not certain if it's the original trans), unsure of what clutch is in there - but small bellhousing so it's not a 10" clutch.

problem is the clutch has very recently been slipping just a tiny bit, but only mid-way through 3rd gear. it does not slip in 1st or 2nd gear at all. go into 3rd up a slight hill with normal gas pedal effort, no problems. floor it, and it slips just a bit. i've adjusted the clutch within spec, but no dice.

this really isn't a problem as i will be dropping the trans soon, replacing, and grinding accordingly, but i was wondering why it would only slip in 3rd at full power, and no other gears. the rear main seal does not leak so i could rule out a oil-fouled clutch.

i'm guessing that the clutch is under the greatest load and needs to supply the most tractive effort in 3rd gear (meaning it's a 1:1 output in 3rd, as opposed to 1st and 2nd being higher ratio and requiring less work from the engine)?

on a similar note, where's a good place that sells clutch discs and pressure plates? already been through advance, autozone, pep boys, napa, etc...it's all chinese-made garbage. has anyone ordered clutch parts from macs?

Last edited by gh0st on Tue Oct 25, 2011 4:46 am; edited 1 time in total
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

clutch slipping only in 3rd? Empty clutch BAD!!

Post by Twinpilot001 Mon Oct 24, 2011 2:33 pm

You are exACTLY CORRECT ON YOUR THOERY- BAD CLUTCH. i Got ONE ON EBAY A WHILE BACK - WAS A CLEAN UNIT FROM A FALCON/ MUSTANG. Thre are several places that can rebuild the disc & plate & usually an auto machine shop can do the flywheel if needed. otherwise try all the autoparts & realize they may not list parts for an econoline -yet will for falcons & mustsngs ,comets & such in the 60's models & cheaper than u will get from a specialty ford company too.
    gh0st
    gh0st

clutch slipping only in 3rd? Empty Re: clutch slipping only in 3rd?

Post by gh0st Tue Oct 25, 2011 4:45 am

problem withcross referencing mustangs with 200's is the fact that most of them had the bigger bellhousing with the 10" clutch. i do use most of the other models - falcon, comet, etc when shopping around.

i just haven't had much luck with clutch parts. the only place i found was mac's.
    EconoCarl
    EconoCarl

Number of posts : 1109
    Registration date : 2008-05-19

Post by EconoCarl Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:43 pm

Gh0st, is there a clutch rebuilder in your area? We have one here and they had a rebuilt setup for both a 170 and 240 Econolines in stock when I needed them. Very economcal too!
    austinmodhouse
    austinmodhouse

Number of posts : 575
    Registration date : 2010-07-30

Post by austinmodhouse Tue Oct 25, 2011 2:58 pm

gh0st, your avatar has a striking resemblance to henry chinaski… anybody ever tell you that before?
    gh0st
    gh0st

Post by gh0st Wed Oct 26, 2011 6:58 am

to tell the truth, i am embarassed for not knowing who that is, had to look it up. i've never read any buckowski books, shame on me. they look great though - i will keep him in mind when i am old, my body broken, and i have a great back porch to sit upon and read until i die.

my avatar is probably the most unsung hero of generations past, whose work had the most profound influence upon my life and teaching me that everything after 1997 is a fake...

carey loftin, stunt driver of the gods.

back to clutches, there are no clutch rebuilders in my area unfortunately. it seems that specialty shops like that have been run out of business during the last 10 or so years. i used to work in an automachine shop after high school that was located in a trade center type office park. within 3 miles of us was the following:

-several driveline shops (driveshaft, clutch, rear end, trans, axle, springs, flywheel, heavy equipment - anything you could dream up, they could build, make, or modify)
    -alternator, starter, generator rebuilders
    -radiator shop, re-core, etc
    -chroming & specialty coating service
    -several other machine & fabrication shops

since then, most of them have shut down. it's sad, and i'm still young. i can't imagine to be my dad's age, having lived through the long decline of our country's industries becoming lame.
    gh0st
    gh0st

Post by gh0st Fri Nov 04, 2011 11:40 am

so i pulled the trans last night. it really didnt look too bad. not much dust at all, no signs of abuse, no oil leaks & staining, no signs of overheating either.

clutch slipping only in 3rd? L7uHg

the flywheel surface looked pristine compared to what i thought i was going to run into. no grooves, ridges, warping, nothing.

clutch slipping only in 3rd? Gri1w

pressure plate surface is in great condition as well.

clutch slipping only in 3rd? DWjH9

the pics of the flywheel and pressure plate surface make them look worse than they really are. everything is pretty darn smooth & level. i may just get away with a good, even scuff job, and no flywheel resurfacing. we will see though.

there is still life left in the friction disc, but i will get a new one while it's out.

clutch slipping only in 3rd? 44hOm

as far as the slipping - maybe it's the wrong flywheel/pressure plate/friction disc combo...i don't know. when referencing part numbers in NPD or Macs, the 144 - 170 - 200 all seem to get the same friction discs and pressure plates (as long as they were 10 spline, 8.5" dia). the only variable would be the flywheels, which would make a difference if they were different two-stage flywheels.

the throwout bearing was hosed, so i will replace it. the housing was in good shape, though.

the equalizer bar bushings were trashed, so i'm on the hunt for those now. can anyone confirm if falcon & comet bushings will work? i can't find a listing for econoline e-bar bushings.

one other thing i have given up on finding is the trans mount bushing. my van being a 61, it has the early hanger-style trans mount - no crossbar.

clutch slipping only in 3rd? 4cRbb

clutch slipping only in 3rd? KBEi1

the mount is 1 13/16" (46mm) ID, 1 1/4" wide, needs a 1/2" ID hole for the mounting bolt, and the frame mount tabs are 2" apart. i've been searching through chassis bushing websites to find a leaf spring eyelet type bushing that i could press-in to use. if i can't find one, i will just order some polyurethane, and re-pour to make a new one.
    organ grinder

Number of posts : 149
    Registration date : 2008-10-11

Post by organ grinder Fri Nov 04, 2011 12:27 pm

gh0st
    gh0st

Post by gh0st Fri Nov 04, 2011 1:30 pm

sweet, thanks for putting up that link. i will be ordering it soon.
    gh0st
    gh0st

Post by gh0st Mon Nov 14, 2011 4:50 am

so... in the process of removing the old trans mount, i broke the aluminum tailshaft housing. pics to follow tomorrow. the old mount was probably original (50 year old crusty mount Mad ), and it did not want to come out.

i wrote a poem about it:

up went my determination,
    down went my logic and reason.
    out came the hammer,
    and off came the mount flange.

anyone have a spare tailshaft housing?

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:42 pm