VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

3 posters

clutch linkage

Marcosis
    Marcosis

Number of posts : 25
    Registration date : 2012-11-08

clutch linkage Empty clutch linkage

Post by Marcosis Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:44 pm

Hi, does anyone have a pic of the clutch linkage assembly on the 1966 manual 3 speed, either a photo or diagram. I took it apart when I pulled the engine and didnt take any pictures. Doh!!! Im also wondering, are the ball joints that go into the clutch pivot shaft supposed to be connected to the bracket or do they just sit in the hole in the bracket, especially the frame side. mine fits in the hole but looks knarled like it broke off of the bracket that bolts to the chassis. Thanks
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

clutch linkage Empty Re: clutch linkage

Post by donivan65 Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:16 pm

clutch linkage Clutch10
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:19 pm

Both balls are welded or bolted, to their brackets....and slide into the cross shaft,,,,
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:34 pm

clutch linkage Repair47
    Marcosis
    Marcosis

Number of posts : 25
    Registration date : 2012-11-08

Post by Marcosis Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:47 pm

Thanks Donivan, exactly what I was looking for. I researched it and found that 1966 Chevy Chevelle, Camaro, Nova etc in general seem to use the same ball studs. Mine were broken out of the welds but the replacements bolt to the brackets. I found some on ebay for $39 hopefully they will fit. thanks again
    JAX
    JAX

Number of posts : 26
    Registration date : 2013-06-25

Post by JAX Thu Aug 15, 2013 6:26 pm

Bringing this thread back to the top because I'm dealing with some similar issues ('65 Sportvan). Pedal has too much free travel and not springing back fully so I crawled underneath to adjust the linkage/spring.

I found that the ends of the "Z" bar (?) have a TON of slop in them. Before I go ahead and pull it apart, is this a serviceable part..are there bushings inside that are replaceable?

Thanks in advance....

JAX
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:16 pm

Check the rods while you are at it,,,,they eat up pretty often,,,,LeftCoast65 rod gave up and broke so his van missed being at last nights show,,,,,,but,,,,,if you think the problem is not the balls coming loose where they connect the cross shaft to the frame and transmission,   then you could make a piece of PVC fitting or garden hose into a bushing for the ball to ride inside the ends of the cross shaft,,,,,you can still find the ball that screws to the bracket on the frame,,,,,,but see where the slop is actually coming from,,,,,  

clutch linkage Chevy_10
    JAX
    JAX

Number of posts : 26
    Registration date : 2013-06-25

Post by JAX Fri Aug 16, 2013 3:27 am

OK Doni thanks...I have a feeling the steel pivot balls or the sockets are worn bad..I grabbed the crossbar and could move it around quite a bit on both ends.

I just wanted an idea what's inside there, I'll be pulling it apart this weekend....

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 07, 2024 2:01 am