VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

3 posters

Quick question: Diff fluid capacity.

NipRing
    NipRing

Number of posts : 336
    Registration date : 2011-08-14

Quick question: Diff fluid capacity. Empty Quick question: Diff fluid capacity.

Post by NipRing Sat Oct 15, 2011 11:05 pm

tomorrow I'm going to replace the pumpkin gasket, how much differential fluid does the 65 12 bolt posi rear end hold?
    Thanks
    Bill
    Digz
    Digz

Number of posts : 3794
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Quick question: Diff fluid capacity. Empty Re: Quick question: Diff fluid capacity.

Post by Digz Sun Oct 16, 2011 4:06 am

I wish I could tell ya,, we just pump the stuff out of a 5 gallon pail,but You will want to get the posi-additive and put that in first or halfway full. You dont want the stuff running back out.
    whopman
    whopman

Number of posts : 387
    Registration date : 2010-04-01

Quick question: Diff fluid capacity. Empty Re: Quick question: Diff fluid capacity.

Post by whopman Sun Oct 16, 2011 5:06 am

The shop manual says to fill the rear axle housing till the fluid reaches the fill hole....does say how much that is however. One thing you might want to check while you are under there is the vent line coming from the top of the housing, make sure it is not clogged with dirt or debris...if it is it will cause the fluid to be forced out the axle bearing seals..
    whopman
    whopman

Number of posts : 387
    Registration date : 2010-04-01

Post by whopman Sun Oct 16, 2011 5:19 am

Quick question: Diff fluid capacity. Img_0619
    NipRing
    NipRing

Number of posts : 336
    Registration date : 2011-08-14

Quick question: Diff fluid capacity. Empty

Post by NipRing Sun Oct 16, 2011 7:55 am

So far, I've come up with 2.45 qts (4.9 pints) but I think that number is for the car 12 bolt.

EDIT**~ Well, the job is done but in the end I used about 1 and 1/2 quarts of fluid before it started coming back out of the filler hole. So I guess that info I found was a but off lol.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:50 am