VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+7
SteelyVan
white-lightning
cl350rr
jeepwrench
Donn
slowflapper
Admin
11 posters

Did you feel it?

Admin
    Admin
    Admin

Number of posts : 1731
    Registration date : 2008-05-01

Did you feel it? Empty Did you feel it?

Post by Admin Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:38 pm

Yea I know this is "old news", but I was wondering who of us on the right coast felt the earthquake? Was it your first? You got a "story" about your experience with it?
    slowflapper
    slowflapper

Number of posts : 956
    Registration date : 2010-07-29

Did you feel it? Empty Re: Did you feel it?

Post by slowflapper Thu Aug 25, 2011 1:13 pm

I didnt feel it this last time.

However, I was standing watch on the "officers brow" of the USS Carl Vinson, pier side, in Alameda CA when the aftershocks from the 1989 Loma Prieta earthquake were going on.

The light polls in the parking lot were waving around, pretty weird to watch.link
    Donn
    Donn

Number of posts : 692
    Registration date : 2009-04-05

Post by Donn Thu Aug 25, 2011 2:19 pm

I was under the '63 Econo applying Por 15 to the frame and floor. The truck was on a lift. Did not feel a thing. I think people got caught up in all the hoopla.
    NYC did not move....People are crazy No
    jeepwrench
    jeepwrench

Number of posts : 89
    Registration date : 2010-02-02

Post by jeepwrench Thu Aug 25, 2011 3:52 pm

Yup, sure did feel it. I was in the E R of Conway Hospital and was wondering why my gurney was dancing! But being from the northeast this wasn't my first rodeo.
    cl350rr
    cl350rr

Number of posts : 287
    Registration date : 2011-07-31

Post by cl350rr Thu Aug 25, 2011 5:00 pm

I was standing in my shed about to start cleaning it up (picture a 2 car garage worth of tools crammed into a 10X16 shed) lots of metal pieces all around me. all of the sudden the whole shed starts shaking to the point I was worried it would fall off of the blocks it sits on.

when it stopped my wife came out of the house and asked me why I was running around on the roof...
    white-lightning
    white-lightning

Number of posts : 237
    Registration date : 2011-02-24

Post by white-lightning Thu Aug 25, 2011 5:38 pm

I was welding on my 65 A100 and did not know it even happened.
    SteelyVan
    SteelyVan

Number of posts : 112
    Registration date : 2009-08-14

Post by SteelyVan Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:35 am

I was sitting at my computer next to a window (might even been surfing VV), when the cat bolted off the computer desk. Then came a blast of wind and I felt dizzy/wobbly. This all happened within a second or two and was wondering afterwards why the wind, the cat, feeling dizzy? Coincidence??? I wrote the whole thing off until I tuned into the evening news. My first time riding the Mother Nature coaster.
    cl350rr
    cl350rr

Number of posts : 287
    Registration date : 2011-07-31

Post by cl350rr Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:50 am

Strange thing, 3 cats laying around on the back porch during and not one of them got up or looked alarmed...
    DanTheVanMan
    DanTheVanMan
    Commissioner
    Commissioner

Number of posts : 7900
    Registration date : 2008-10-08

Post by DanTheVanMan Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:44 am

Earthquake? What earthquake?.... Smile Not a thing down here...

2004 Kawasaki KLR650
    1997 Jeep TJ Sport

My Mini Gallery

Did you feel it? Qr_cod10

<-<-<- Cruising is not a "Point A to Point B" thing, but an "Everything in between thing!  <-<-<-
    Wrong Way
    Wrong Way

Number of posts : 32
    Registration date : 2011-08-13

Post by Wrong Way Sat Aug 27, 2011 4:30 am

I did! I'm not from California so it was a big deal here. I was going across the 14th street bridge in Washington D.C. and it felt like all my tires were going flat. the truck was all over the road and then I noticed that the other cars were doing the same thing, then I looked at the bridge and it was moving. HOLLY CRAP!!! I thought the bridge was falling or it was another teariest attack (I work at the Pentagon and was there for 911). Then the radio news told us it was an earthquake. I was here when the last hurricane came thought and I was in LaPlata Maryland when the category 4 tornado came through. Now we are getting another hurricane today! Damn...what's next...probably a plague of locus.
    lectricman
    lectricman

Number of posts : 339
    Registration date : 2010-04-07

Post by lectricman Sat Aug 27, 2011 6:54 pm

They evacuated part of the Hospital where I work at Chebby but low and behold... the poor maintenance men.... they didn't radio us so the most of us worked right through it..... lol Sucks being the bottom rung on the ladder......
    wildbillinva

Number of posts : 134
    Registration date : 2011-02-26

Post by wildbillinva Sun Aug 28, 2011 3:43 am

yeah, i felt it. i was sticking my head out the back door at work watching the heavy equipment break ground on the addition when i thought i was having a dizzy spell. when i looked around to see if one of the other guys was going to catch me before i hit the ground, they were doing the same dance! as i looked down the length of the north wall, i could see the entire wall ripple and the gas line going to the units on the roof was vibrating like a banjo string. there were unmanned fork trucks vibrating across the floor side ways. comparred to the ones you guys get on the left coast it was not much, but around here it was quite rare. if i never experience another one, it will be fine with me. we were lucky, very little damage, but on the other side of the mountain there was some buildings that were condemed from the damage.
    wildbillinva

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 3:24 pm