VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+4
RodStRace
dodge man
donivan65
KenCashion
8 posters

Steering "feel" question for the veterans

KenCashion
    KenCashion

Number of posts : 15
    Registration date : 2013-06-03

Steering "feel" question for the veterans Empty Steering "feel" question for the veterans

Post by KenCashion Sat Oct 05, 2013 10:34 pm

Back in May I picked up a '69 A108 from a guy in Santa Cruz. I've been slowly chipping away at it, starting with front disk brakes, then new wheels and tires. I've gotten the electrical all sorted and the (V8) engine runs pretty well. Currently working on installing all new seating. Anyway, I took it to the frame and axle shop last week for a full overhaul. Got new shocks, new kingpins, new u-bolts, new shackles, the works. Picked it up Friday, and I as drove away, I was surprised to find that there was still about 20˚ of freeplay in the steering wheel. This was the main reason I took it in for service in the first place. When I spoke to them prior to picking it up, they said the steering box was in good shape. I talked with the guy that worked on it about the play, and he said it felt good to him, but that it was probably mostly in the tires (which are 205/75-15). I talked with some guys at work that know old cars, and they said I should have an adjuster screw on the steering box to take out the slop. This afternoon I crawled underneath and found the screw and tightened it up. It definitely took out the freeplay, but the steering still isn't what I'd hoped for. In particular, the van is hard to control over about 55 mph. It wanders quite a bit and takes almost constant steering input to keep it straight. Makes it very hard to relax cruising down the highway. So here are my questions:

Is it possible to get these old vans to track well at highway speed? Would wider, lower-profile tires help? Would a higher ratio (power) steering box help? Is there an ideal toe setting? Assuming that all the steering and suspension parts are in good working order, what needs to be fixed here?
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12218
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Steering "feel" question for the veterans Empty Re: Steering "feel" question for the veterans

Post by donivan65 Sat Oct 05, 2013 11:08 pm

As you rock the steering wheel without the tires starting to move, look at the pitman arm where it comes out of the steering box at the drag link,,,,,look for movement,,,,,if the pitman arm moves then you got a problem under the van,,,,,if it does not, the steering box is the problem,,,,,,,and you really need to check the toe in setting as well as the camber and caster on the front axle.....
    dodge man
    dodge man

Number of posts : 2036
    Registration date : 2012-08-08

Steering "feel" question for the veterans Empty Re: Steering "feel" question for the veterans

Post by dodge man Sun Oct 06, 2013 7:41 am

my toe adjustment was way out when i first bought mine it handled like crap, you cold never take your hand off the wheel and it wondered all over the road, i used a tape measure and measured across the front of the front tires then measured across the back of the front tires, mine was toed out 2'' inches, i adjusted the tie rod so i had the same measurements. now it handles very well, but these old girls werent built to run 70, i never take mine past 55,
    RodStRace
    RodStRace

Number of posts : 3046
    Registration date : 2010-01-21

Post by RodStRace Sun Oct 06, 2013 8:15 am

Tightening the adjustment screw must be done correctly so you don't mess up the steering box.
    Follow the procedure in the service manual. Also check the gear lube in the box.

As for the wander at speed, you can make a big difference by an alignment. This adjusts

Camber = angle in degrees of the front tire from the bottom middle to the top middle viewed from the front. This affects pull at all speeds. It is usually different side-to-side to compensate for road crown (the middle is higher, the curb is lower for drainage). To fix this on a straight axle, the axle must be bent.

Toe-in = making sure the tires are both straight ahead, with a small amount (1/8") added to allow for compressing the tie rods ends. This will mainly affect how much effort is needed to move forward, and if toed out will also affect directional stability. It will want to 'dart' into corners with little input. Autocross guys will do this since the course is rarely straight. It will tear up tires quick! This is adjusted by changing the length of the tie rod.

Here is a picture showing toe and camber from the front.
    Steering "feel" question for the veterans Service-toe-pic

Caster = this is the amount of angle the kingpins are set top to bottom looking from the side. It is the one that is affected by big and little tires (stagger) or any nose down rake and is responsible for straight tracking and the steering wheel coming back to center after coming out of a turn. I'd guess this is the big issue and is corrected by angled shims between the springs and the axle to 'lean' it back on top.  
    Hereis a drawing of caster. Just consider the top and bottom ball joints as the top and bottom of the kingpin...
    Steering "feel" question for the veterans Align_caster

Picture of an axle, spring and a shim at the junction of them, tilting the axle. Note at the bottom of the springs the shim is thick at the left and thin at the right.
    Steering "feel" question for the veterans Springs++005

Get it to a good alignment shop that handles big trucks (straight axles like our vans) and have them do a full alignment.

Camber should be 1-1/2 degrees.
    Toe-in should be 0 to 1/8"
    Caster should be 5-1/2 to 6-1/2 degrees.
    I had to add 5 degree shims to my Yellow van to get back the caster, which required longer u-bolts (special order).
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

Post by Twinpilot001 Sun Oct 06, 2013 10:13 am

cheers Everyone is totally correct above! What u didnt say is =does this van have power steering?? i will add = from experiences- i always try & find a good old guy-that does front end alignments for many years & does motor homes & sometimes big trucks-as they usually always have straight axles!! These people have usually forgotten things that all new alignment types have never been taught or experienced!! They know the buisness of doing our vans axles!! also=as in the old car owners circles @ car meets about who many go to or recomend?? also know when these cars were built new -they had -NO!! steering problems & went at many speeds & on some bad roads also! They didnt have steering problems. The only add'l thing ive ever seen or needed for any straight front axle was a steering shok kit for a bump-steer condition-i installed 30++ years ago & its still working great today ! =Find the old alignment man in the area!!cheers 
    KenCashion
    KenCashion

Post by KenCashion Sun Oct 06, 2013 11:40 am

Thanks to all. The shop I used was indeed one of those old-time, big truck frame and axle shops. They are willing to make any needed changes, so I think I will have them confirm the alignment based on the manual specs and the recommendations here. The caster is probably the culprit. Mine doesn't have power steering, but I was wondering if all the turns lock to lock of the manual steering was contributing to the poor feel and inherent sloppiness.

My background is motorsports. I'm used to running a few degrees of negative camber and toe out on my daily drivers. I have several national championships in the SCCA RallyCross program and have been competing in cars for over 20 years. I recently "retired" from racing to spend more time with my family, and the van is part of that plan. Wife and son are both totally loving the van rides.

I agree with Twinpilot001 that these things were once solid and predictable, so it should be possible to get that back. In the meantime, I'll take another shot at figuring out how to post pictures here, so I can share my progress. I know we all like seeing others' efforts.
    dodge man
    dodge man

Post by dodge man Sun Oct 06, 2013 12:22 pm

if your caster is different from one side to the other it will want to pull in one direction, make sure if they go to bend your axle to set the camber thay dont use heat, it has to be bent cold with the correct porta-power
    RodStRace
    RodStRace

Post by RodStRace Sun Oct 06, 2013 2:15 pm

Ken, sounds like you have a good grasp of what is needed then.
    The steering is a recirculating ball, not a rack & pinion. It will never be sports car quick, but with tight, lubricated parts, you should get it decent. Have them check the box and the drag link. Those are the most common parts to cause excessive steering play.

I still will bet on too little caster being a big contributor to the driving issue.

The specs I typed in are from the manual, so they should get you in the ballpark.

Strangely, my new boss also has an SCCA background and is spending more time with family.
    Part of my job is building a couple of his cars back together. Yes, I'm diggin' it.

KenCashion
    KenCashion

Post by KenCashion Sun Oct 06, 2013 3:22 pm

As promised, here are some pics of the van:

Steering "feel" question for the veterans Img_2314

Steering "feel" question for the veterans Img_2012

Steering "feel" question for the veterans Img_2315

Mazda Miata seats in the front

Steering "feel" question for the veterans Img_2316

70s Chrysler van seats in the back

Steering "feel" question for the veterans Img_2711

Yours truly at the wheel. (Also 1969 vintage)

Steering "feel" question for the veterans Img_2013

Photoshop image of my vision for the van. Planning to use root beer brown of the bass boat metal flake variety.
    dodge man
    dodge man

Post by dodge man Sun Oct 06, 2013 3:26 pm

LOOKS REALLY SOLID, LOVE THAT BROWN CANT WAIT TO SEE IT PAINTED,
    Joe Van
    Joe Van
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 4619
    Registration date : 2012-10-11

Post by Joe Van Sun Oct 06, 2013 4:30 pm

SHARP looking Van!!!! Some of us will disagree but I have always had the best luck on our alignment machine with the older cars setting the front end about 1/8 toed out on both sides to keep it from darting around at higher speeds my van will Cruze at 70 all day long and I have never had any tire wear complaints from our customers in all years of doing alignments... It also helps out with the crowns in the roads !!!! Different tire sizes will not cause play in the steering wheel just make sure the steering box NOW isn't adjusted to tight.Smile .. My guess is you need to toe it out some.!!! 1/4 total toe out........

Last edited by JOE VAN on Sun Oct 06, 2013 8:35 pm; edited 2 times in total
    dodge man
    dodge man

Post by dodge man Sun Oct 06, 2013 4:33 pm

most people thing theres a problem with the alignment, and most of the time its shifted belts in a tire,
    Joe Van
    Joe Van
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 4619
    Registration date : 2012-10-11

Post by Joe Van Sun Oct 06, 2013 4:41 pm

Usually when a belt has shifted in a tire up front it will shake the steering wheel and get worse the faster you go or you will have a very hard constant pull that will eventually start shaking before the tire comes apart..
    BADBADGER
    BADBADGER

Number of posts : 246
    Registration date : 2009-05-15

Steering "feel" question for the veterans Empty Steering wander

Post by BADBADGER Thu Oct 31, 2013 7:59 am

A while back i posted almost the same question / problem. Many of the responses were similar to those posted on this question, all good info. So I took my van to an old time frame shop in carson city nv. After a road test and checking all of the componenets, all new, they figured out the I beam front axle was in 180 degrees off. Looking at the axle it appears the king pins are perfectly vertical however they actually have about 1 1/2 degree angle to them. I removed the front axle assembly and reinstalled it the way it was intended to be installed and the steering wander was almost completly cured. Only thing left to do now is to take it back to the alignment shop, for a final check and adjustment.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12218
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:18 am

,,,,,Were the caster shims installed and in correctly?
    BADBADGER
    BADBADGER

Number of posts : 246
    Registration date : 2009-05-15

Post by BADBADGER Thu Oct 31, 2013 12:30 pm

Yes the shims were installed correctly. However the axle installed backwards effectively caused a 3 degree error in the caster. Now with the correct position of the axle and the shims the caster is where it needs to be.
    slowflapper
    slowflapper

Number of posts : 956
    Registration date : 2010-07-29

Post by slowflapper Fri Nov 01, 2013 7:59 am

here's to hoping you guys get it fixed up. I had a '72 CJ5 one time that would run all over the road, the pucker factor was high when it caught a rut.
    RodStRace
    RodStRace

Post by RodStRace Fri Nov 01, 2013 5:36 pm

slowflapper wrote:here's to hoping you guys get it fixed up. I had a '72 CJ5 one time that would run all over the road, the pucker factor was high when it caught a rut.
    Reminds me of a Jeep that came into the shop for a quickie oil change.
    When it was lifted, the whole front axle stayed on the ground way too long.
    Found out both front shackles were broken! Guy was real lucky he came in for the LOF!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:46 am