VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+16
Scott
panelmanrd
vanner68
mbasaraba
veefre
DanTheVanMan
Big W
EconoCarl
Lazarusvan
Bear
Digz
Van Halen
sasktrini
Twinpilot001
SteelyVan
donivan65
20 posters

Chevy Van A/C kit

donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Chevy Van A/C kit - Page 2 Empty Re: Chevy Van A/C kit

Post by donivan65 Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:34 am

Well,,,,,the Evaporator absorbs the heat and the Condenser removes it. And they have different ratings as to how much they can do. The Condenser we used is a double flow. I think DanTheVanMan should find out the BTU ratings of the Chevy system and the price of each so we could buy any piece if we wanted to. Do you have the rating of yours? The CFM of the fan would make a difference also.
    DanTheVanMan
    DanTheVanMan
    Commissioner
    Commissioner

Number of posts : 7900
    Registration date : 2008-10-08

Post by DanTheVanMan Fri Aug 26, 2011 2:00 pm

Not quite sure how my name got in this but I have been looking at this setup.

http://www.oldairproducts.com/catalog/700800-series-ac-systems/cap-700hc/ac-system-p-4366.html

2004 Kawasaki KLR650
    1997 Jeep TJ Sport

My Mini Gallery

Chevy Van A/C kit - Page 2 Qr_cod10

<-<-<- Cruising is not a "Point A to Point B" thing, but an "Everything in between thing!  <-<-<-
    Bear
    Bear

Number of posts : 849
    Registration date : 2010-11-23

Post by Bear Fri Aug 26, 2011 5:49 pm

600.00 at ac shop ???? my god you can go buy a a/c crimper you run down with a impac gun.chargeing no big deal either buy the cans fuiger out the how many pounds either charge it or pull a vacume with a vacume pump then charge it.i would say being new no worries about moisture in system and most imporation pag oil the system befor you charge it.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Fri Aug 26, 2011 6:33 pm

A/C work ain't cheap,,,,especially at a Hot Rod Shop,,,,,but he wasn't taking any chances of losing his $1700 by being blamed for something going wrong,,,,the A/C shop was responsible for figuring out the additional oil and freon of the extra 16 feet of hose it took to install the components. And he sure does not have the scales and gauges to measure out the proper amount of Freon, oil, and the leak detector to check all the hoses and fittings for leaks. But money is no concern to him when it comes to his van,,,,,,,,
    EconoCarl
    EconoCarl

Number of posts : 1109
    Registration date : 2008-05-19

Post by EconoCarl Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:01 pm

quote "DanTheVanMan": Not quite sure how my name got in this but I have been looking at this setup.

Dan, you seem to get drug into everything! bounce

I don't know all the specifics as to ratings and BTU stuff. I have the Hurricane 2000 as seen here: http://www.oldairproducts.com/catalog/hurricane-ac-systems/universal-hurricane-systems-cable-operated-c-1_32000000_120131979_120131981.html . I did opt for the optional condenser with an electric fan.
    DanTheVanMan
    DanTheVanMan
    Commissioner
    Commissioner

Post by DanTheVanMan Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:14 pm

Very cool Carl!!!
    Better to be drug-in than left-out I guess... Razz

2004 Kawasaki KLR650
    1997 Jeep TJ Sport

My Mini Gallery

<-<-<- Cruising is not a "Point A to Point B" thing, but an "Everything in between thing!  <-<-<-

Post by Guest Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:43 pm

donivan65 wrote:Peter, you should of taken a picture of your password,,,,,,

You got that right. Hope all is well. Any events coming up?
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:08 pm

DanTheVanMan wrote:Not quite sure how my name got in this but I have been looking at this setup.

http://www.oldairproducts.com/catalog/700800-series-ac-systems/cap-700hc/ac-system-p-4366.html

Dragged you? You were the one asking me about the system,,,,,

Chevy Van A/C kit - Page 2 Ac_dan10
    DanTheVanMan
    DanTheVanMan
    Commissioner
    Commissioner

Post by DanTheVanMan Sat Aug 27, 2011 5:51 am

donivan65 wrote:Well,,,,,the Evaporator absorbs the heat and the Condenser removes it. And they have different ratings as to how much they can do. The Condenser we used is a double flow. I think DanTheVanMan should find out the BTU ratings of the Chevy system and the price of each so we could buy any piece if we wanted to. Do you have the rating of yours? The CFM of the fan would make a difference also.

Of course I'm interested in finding out more about putting AC in our vans! Who wouldn't? That's why I was asking you for more info. I guess the correct term would not be dragged but "Volunteered" I guess.... scratch

No biggie, maybe something was lost in the interpretation. I was asking You for any info you had. That's all... But if you are still working on this and would like some help I would be more than happy to help if your asking.

Dan

Last edited by DanTheVanMan on Sat Aug 27, 2011 8:21 am; edited 1 time in total

2004 Kawasaki KLR650
    1997 Jeep TJ Sport

My Mini Gallery

sasktrini
    sasktrini

Number of posts : 2067
    Registration date : 2008-05-20

Post by sasktrini Sat Aug 27, 2011 7:46 am

I'm sure I made a post here previously, because I'm finding this whole exchange funny, but the post is gone. I apologize if I offended anyone by interpreting the exchange as light-hearted humor. No offense was intended. This thread is amazing though, as I am learning about AC suited for our earlies!
    DanTheVanMan
    DanTheVanMan
    Commissioner
    Commissioner

Post by DanTheVanMan Sat Aug 27, 2011 8:08 am

No worries Corey. Just trying to get the thread back on track..

Dan

2004 Kawasaki KLR650
    1997 Jeep TJ Sport

My Mini Gallery

DanTheVanMan
    DanTheVanMan
    Commissioner
    Commissioner

Post by DanTheVanMan Sat Aug 27, 2011 8:17 am

Corey,
    Hears the one I've been looking at:

AC System
    [CAP-700HC]

Chevy Van A/C kit - Page 2 Cap-7010

$935.00
    Complete Heat & Cool In Dash A/C System w/top duct outlets
    AC System

Dimensions: Length 16", Height 5-1/2", Depth 11-1/2"

It replaces the heating unit completely so it would be a matter of fitment. My concerns are with the Depth of 11-1/2" How much space in available where your stock unit is in a Econo?

I sent them an email asking if it was possible to get a unit with the hose fitting pointed down without just adding elbows. I was also concerned about the hose outlets pointing up but seems to be enough room to run the hoses without any issues. Everything else seems to measure up pretty well. Hopefully I will hear from them early next week.

Dan

2004 Kawasaki KLR650
    1997 Jeep TJ Sport

My Mini Gallery

sasktrini
    sasktrini

Number of posts : 2067
    Registration date : 2008-05-20

Post by sasktrini Sat Aug 27, 2011 8:57 am

I looked at their different options... very cool... trunk-mounted ones for the hotrodders that want to keep the interior clean? That could be an option for us vanners... rear AC / heater combo? Hmmm... now I'm thinking that a unit behind the drivers seat, with ducting up the wall and aimed across the van above the drivers vent window and one aimed similarly in the rear... maybe a floor duct aimed under the drivers seat and another at the rear floor?

For an ideal under-dash model in our earlies, I suspect coolant and refrigerant ports on the unit should be located downward from the bottom of the unit to remove depth and accommodate our factory plumbing through the floor better,

I suspect that the Econoline dashes are much shallower than the Chev and Mopar dashes... I would guess that it would take some fiddling to install an under-dash unit such as this. The 65-67 Heater unit in the Econolines are maybe 8" deep from the inlet by the headlight.

Question... although this started as a Chev question, it would seem the technology is really universal... I wonder if it might warrant placement in the General Between the Seats Category?

Last edited by sasktrini on Sat Aug 27, 2011 9:08 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : old air, rear unit/)
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Sat Aug 27, 2011 9:48 am

Hey Dan, There are a lot A/C Companys out there with similar names,,,and this Classic Auto Air is located down the road from you in Tampa,,,,,so you would have the best access to find out about the systems. But the whole point is finding one that works the best, not costs the least. You don't want to be changing the color of your van just so the A/C will cool better. I just want to know about the different systems components,,,,,and it seems that they are not all the same,,,,we need to know the cooling capacity of the components so we can put together a system that will cool adequately,,,I am not sure that grabbing a condenser off a radiator and putting a fan in back of it will would be the same as a one built to be installed under the floor. And our 1st Gens surely don't have enough room to stuff a condenser in front of our radiators. So I am just looking for information from everybody. This system my Buddy bought was specifically put together for a van, so I would think it would have a higher cooling capacity than one for a car. But it's all just an idea to avoid buying a system that won't get the job done......
    DanTheVanMan
    DanTheVanMan
    Commissioner
    Commissioner

Post by DanTheVanMan Sat Aug 27, 2011 11:42 am

Very good point Don and that really makes a lot of sense. And I agree 100%. The whole AC system is a new topic for me and as with many things learning as I go, collecting any and all info I can get. I have no problem jumping in on any topic with both feet as I usually do just to educate myself on every possible area of our vans. This is no different.

As far as the BTU rating goes I did a little research but haven't found any solid data yet but still looking. Posting what available systems I do find in hope that someone knows or has info on that particular as to whether is is a good or bad system. I have sent several inquiries to Classic Auto Air in Tampa over the last three months and never once got a single reply. This is why I started looking at other companies. Not ruling them out just want more info from whomever is willing to share...

Dan

2004 Kawasaki KLR650
    1997 Jeep TJ Sport

My Mini Gallery

donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Sat Aug 27, 2011 12:01 pm

COOL!
    DanTheVanMan
    DanTheVanMan
    Commissioner
    Commissioner

Post by DanTheVanMan Sat Aug 27, 2011 1:04 pm

VERY COOL!
    And that's what it all about!!!

2004 Kawasaki KLR650
    1997 Jeep TJ Sport

My Mini Gallery

veefre
    veefre

Number of posts : 424
    Registration date : 2008-09-10

Post by veefre Sun Aug 28, 2011 9:07 pm

Looks like a nice conversion, Don.

Just wondering... the condenser gets mounted behind the battery box... does it suck air from below and blow it up towards the floor?

$2600 for the whole conversion... too bad these vans didn't come with factory A/C option to begin with...

PS-Nice looking '70 108... For some reason I had it in my head that '69 was the last year for the second gen. Guess I'm corrected now!
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Sun Aug 28, 2011 10:21 pm

The fan goes on top, blows the air down,,,,,otherwise it will suck up everything and hit the fan blades and condenser fins or clog it up. But the main thing is, how cool does all that money get you? Do you get your moneys worth? That's why I am interested in the actual cooling capacity of all these units that are available,,,,,,the Evaporator has to absorb the heat, the Condenser has to remove the heat so they kind of have to work together and I am not so sure that these bunches of parts the different kits put together work good enough to keep a van cool,,,,,and,,,,,the kit that you install in Texas surely has to work harder to keep a van cool than the one that my Buddy who lives near the beach does,,,,,
    veefre
    veefre

Number of posts : 424
    Registration date : 2008-09-10

Post by veefre Sun Aug 28, 2011 10:29 pm

Well, not to mention that the doghouse tends to put more heat into the "cabin" than a front or rear engine sedan, coupe, or truck would experience.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Sun Aug 28, 2011 10:35 pm

So if you are going to spend big money, you want a system that works when you need it to,,,,,,and does not cause overheating problems. So the odds are against A/C in a van,,,,,,,
    mbasaraba
    mbasaraba

Number of posts : 823
    Registration date : 2009-01-08

Post by mbasaraba Sat Jul 28, 2012 7:28 am

Kind of curious how this topic died out. Has there been updates to anyone installing any of these units and how well they cooled?

I think the biggest issue for me is mounting the compressor on an I6 250... haven't seen any pictures of that or info if it could handle it. Here in Alabama with 100+ temps and normally 90-100% humidity this is a must for the wife hauling the 4 kids.

Compressor mounting ideas? Move alternator up and compressor below it? I know it will take custom brackets but the passenger side just seems to have too much in the way, coolant hose and oil filter.
    DanTheVanMan
    DanTheVanMan
    Commissioner
    Commissioner

Post by DanTheVanMan Sat Jul 28, 2012 8:34 am

Matt, some of the late 60's & early 70's Chevy trucks had A/C with the 250's. Might be an option worth researching.

Dan

2004 Kawasaki KLR650
    1997 Jeep TJ Sport

My Mini Gallery

mbasaraba
    mbasaraba

Number of posts : 823
    Registration date : 2009-01-08

Post by mbasaraba Sat Jul 28, 2012 9:11 am

Thanks Dan.

Did you ever install a unit? What were the results if you did?
    DanTheVanMan
    DanTheVanMan
    Commissioner
    Commissioner

Post by DanTheVanMan Sat Jul 28, 2012 9:49 am

Nope, Never did but the though and hope to do it someday never leaves my mind. But given the configuration of our vans it is hard without causing overheating issues like Don said. A higher capacity radiator and installing a remote condenser would be the key to a successful install. Tunneling the DH and having all electric fans kind of goes without saying. But yeah, lose the mechanical fan!

Dan

2004 Kawasaki KLR650
    1997 Jeep TJ Sport

My Mini Gallery

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 06, 2024 10:51 pm