VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

5 posters

I know of a guy with a first gen chevy.

I know of a guy with a first gen chevy. Empty I know of a guy with a first gen chevy.

Post by Guest Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:17 pm

He says. The thing is when he was checking out my '69 GMC he tells me that his father had a van that he just parked behind the house some thirty years ago and there it sits today. By his description it sounds like a first gen chevy that has possibly been sitting unmolested since the seventies. Now before you get to excited this van ( if it does in fact exist) is in Florida only ten miles from the ocean. Which means there might not be much of it left anyway. I don't know this guy much at all, but my shop refers customers to them, and them to us. I have asked him once allready to see it with no real response from him. Now that being said how important might this be to anybody else out there. With my hands full with my '69 and other projects and work and all, I am not very interested in it myself. Just wondering if this is something I should press him on for one of you others out there. Just don't want to be a pain in the guys butt unless there was an honest interest in what he might have. By the way I do believe what he says is true from what others have told me. Anyway let me know if it's worth the trouble . Thanks for your time.
    sasktrini
    sasktrini

Number of posts : 2067
    Registration date : 2008-05-20

I know of a guy with a first gen chevy. Empty Re: I know of a guy with a first gen chevy.

Post by sasktrini Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:25 pm

I would make sure to plant the seed in his mind that if he is interested in selling, to think of you first and let you know. If the van isn't salvageable, parts may be. Let him know that if you can't use the van, you can pass the word out there to a friend who's interested. Don't tell him you'll check with your 3000 friends on VintAGE-Vans, because his asking price will go up!

So it's definitely worth the trouble, for how rare our vans are, but don't be too eager if you hope for a reasonable asking price.

Cheers.

I know of a guy with a first gen chevy. Empty Re: I know of a guy with a first gen chevy.

Post by Guest Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:33 pm

Honestly not thinking so much about resale but if people could use parts. I like making money as much as the next guy, but I really don't have the time or space to part out a van right now. If it was something people could possibly use parts from I'll try to pursue it further. I do think it would be a pretty cheap deal as this guy really has no interest in it. It's been there so long he pays it no mind any longer.
    DanTheVanMan
    DanTheVanMan
    Commissioner
    Commissioner

Number of posts : 7900
    Registration date : 2008-10-08

Post by DanTheVanMan Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:42 pm

Arnold,
    If you'd like or need some help just let me know. I have lots of spare parts and live just a few miles north in Fernandina Beach...

Dan

2004 Kawasaki KLR650
    1997 Jeep TJ Sport

My Mini Gallery

I know of a guy with a first gen chevy. Qr_cod10

<-<-<- Cruising is not a "Point A to Point B" thing, but an "Everything in between thing!  <-<-<-

Post by Guest Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:50 pm

Outstanding Dan. I will surely take you up on that. My van is 1969 GMC HandyVan. Had it for six months now. Hope to have it for a long time to come. I would post pics but I think the strain, at this time, would in the end be to much for my computer. As in, I might do it harm.
    sasktrini
    sasktrini

Number of posts : 2067
    Registration date : 2008-05-20

Post by sasktrini Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:54 pm

Look at that... you two are almost neighbours!

Post by Guest Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:02 pm

Since I'm finally jumping into this feet first. Let me ask something that has been bugging me since I bought this van. I measure the hole pattern on my wheels to be a 5 x 4.5" bolt pattern and people keep telling me that that is a Ford pattern. Be that as it may, I have three sets of wheels that are all the same 5 x 4.5" and they fit . Am I crazy. Kind of of the subject I guess.
    Digz
    Digz

Number of posts : 3794
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Post by Digz Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:18 pm

Welcome aboard. here is a link that shows how to correctly measure the bolt pattern , it's a thread on this site.
    https://vintage-vans.forumotion.com/t15696-wheel-adapters-for-a-68-gmc-handi-van
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Number of posts : 30743
    Registration date : 2008-05-06

Post by G-Man Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:20 pm

I think Ford and Dodge are the same, but your Chevy is different 5x4 3/4

Post by Guest Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:43 pm

That is what I have been told that chevy is 5 x 4 3/4 . So how come 5 x 4.5" fit mine so well? I have already replaced the entire front breaks with GMC drums for that year . And they measure 5 x 4.5". So, am I crazy?
    DanTheVanMan
    DanTheVanMan
    Commissioner
    Commissioner

Number of posts : 7900
    Registration date : 2008-10-08

Post by DanTheVanMan Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:24 pm

Arnold,
    You might want to re-measure... 4.75 can easily be mistaken for 4.5 if you measure from the center of both lugs and forget to measure from the "Back" of one lugs.

Dan

Try this....

I know of a guy with a first gen chevy. Lug_me10

Last edited by DanTheVanMan on Tue Mar 29, 2011 5:20 am; edited 1 time in total

2004 Kawasaki KLR650
    1997 Jeep TJ Sport

My Mini Gallery

I know of a guy with a first gen chevy. Qr_cod10

<-<-<- Cruising is not a "Point A to Point B" thing, but an "Everything in between thing!  <-<-<-

Post by Guest Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:35 pm

With that picture that would be where the extra .25" comes from. I have always measured center to center. No matter I have the wheels that I want now. I was just wondering where I was going wrong. To the original subject of this post I will try my darndest, to see if in fact this guy I know does in fact have this van. If so this will be the first place I'll post any info on it. Even though I have just now registered I have been gleening info for months now. I will most definintely be picking the brains of anyone that will allow me to do so in the future.
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Number of posts : 30743
    Registration date : 2008-05-06

Post by G-Man Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:09 pm

Arnold that what we are here for to help each other
    Oldsmobubble
    Oldsmobubble

Number of posts : 92
    Registration date : 2011-02-18

Post by Oldsmobubble Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:02 am

Hey you quys are hi jackinq the thread. Let's here more about the qen 1 lol.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:03 am